DTV $ DISH CONVERSION

  • ART
    Message 1 of 4 , Dec 10, 2003
      HOW ABOUT IT GANG.

      IS THERE ANYONE WHO HAS DONE OR AT LEAST HEARD OF CONVERTING DTV, OR
      DISH SMALL SATELLITE EQUIPTMENT TO USE IN HAM RELATED COMMUNICATION.
      IF SO PLEASE POST INFO OR LINKS.

      THANK YOU

      ART K8FA/5
    • wb8tgy
      Message 2 of 4 , Dec 11, 2003
        --- In wsjtgroup@yahoogroups.com, "ART" <apucket3@y...> wrote:

        > HOW ABOUT IT GANG.
        >
        > IS THERE ANYONE WHO HAS DONE OR AT LEAST HEARD OF CONVERTING DTV,
        OR
        > DISH SMALL SATELLITE EQUIPTMENT TO USE IN HAM RELATED
        COMMUNICATION.
        > IF SO PLEASE POST INFO OR LINKS.
        >
        > THANK YOU
        >
        > ART K8FA/5

        The small 19 inch Direct TV type dish antennas work very well on the
        10GHz amateur radio band (I have been using one for the past two
        years for portable operations). There are plans on the internet for
        modifing the original feed for use at 10Ghz also (I am using a
        different feed horn to feed my dish). The antennas also work on the
        24GHz amateur radio band. I think some amateurs have been able to
        use the LNB on the orginal feed and turn them into a LNA (preamp for
        RX). I do know a couple of amateurs that have used the older banana
        shaped "Primstar" dish antennas for a portable antenna for 2.3, 3.4,
        5.7, and 10 GHz.

        Mark, WB8TGY
      • Lee Scott - AA1YN
        Message 3 of 4 , Dec 11, 2003
          At 11:35 PM 12/10/2003 +0000, you wrote:

          >HOW ABOUT IT GANG.
          >
          >IS THERE ANYONE WHO HAS DONE OR AT LEAST HEARD OF CONVERTING DTV, OR
          >DISH SMALL SATELLITE EQUIPTMENT TO USE IN HAM RELATED COMMUNICATION.
          >IF SO PLEASE POST INFO OR LINKS.
          >
          >THANK YOU
          >
          >ART K8FA/5
          Art,

          I've been using the DSS dish with a highly modified DSS feedhorn for 10G
          for a couple of years now. These are very popular with the 10G and Up
          contesters and VHF contest rovers. You can see some of my info on
          http://www.aa1yn.com and click on the microwave link.

          Lee Scott - AA1YN
          Home of the VHF & Up Register http://www.aa1yn.com/vhf
          Hooksett, NH
          FN43gc52
        • Bob
          Message 4 of 4 , Dec 11, 2003
            Message
            I converted mine into a wok. The really good news is I can transmit shrimp in garlic sauce in packet.
            Bob     kb1enb
            > IS THERE ANYONE WHO HAS DONE OR AT LEAST HEARD OF CONVERTING DTV,
            OR
            > DISH SMALL SATELLITE EQUIPTMENT TO USE IN HAM RELATED
            COMMUNICATION.
            > IF SO PLEASE POST INFO OR LINKS.
            >
            > THANK YOU
            >
            > ART K8FA/5

            The small 19 inch Direct TV type dish antennas work very well on the
            10GHz amateur radio band (I have been using one for the past two
            years for portable operations).  There are plans on the internet for
            modifing the original feed for use at 10Ghz also (I am using a
            different feed horn to feed my dish).  The antennas also work on the
            24GHz amateur radio band.  I think some amateurs have been able to
            use the LNB on the orginal feed and turn them into a LNA (preamp for
            RX).  I do know a couple of amateurs that have used the older banana
            shaped "Primstar" dish antennas for a portable antenna for 2.3, 3.4,
            5.7, and 10 GHz.

            Mark, WB8TGY

            To unsubscribe, send an email to: