Re: [wsjtgroup] wsjt

  • jay123
    Message 1 of 8 , Dec 3, 2003
      To Art, K8FA:
      welcome back - new version 4.1.1 download available from Joe at:
      http://pulsar.princeton.edu/~joe/K1JT/. Has a new mode JT65 replacing JT44 with several db advantage. Also there is a "Random hour" most Saturdays in the am with good activity.
      Check into the PJ central chat at http://www.pingjockey.net/cgi-bin/pingtalk any morning or evening and set up your skeds.
      73, Jay - K2OVS
    • Dave Koch
      Message 2 of 8 , Mar 20, 2005
        Is there any advantage to having elevation control for MS work?
        If so how much?
        Any thoughts or advice on 6 and 2 meter antennas prefered.
        I have a 28 element m2 for 432. would like to put all on the same
        platform.
        Here at Pine, Idaho I'm In a valley 4300 feet with mountains around
        except to the SE. They go up to 7700 feet.
        Thanks, Dave KG7CN
      • k4xtt
        Message 3 of 8 , Jan 25, 2009
          Dave: I just wanted to say that your post was RIGHT ON!! Thanks for
          speaking out.
          The biggest hang up I have with WSJT MS is the lack of teaching tools
          available to learn the fine points of this mode.
          The software is easy to set up and get working, but to get the most of
          the modes available will probably take a lifetime of trial and error.
          Someone made the suggestion of a power point or web based teaching aid.
          I know it would take some time for someone to create, but it sure would
          be appreciated.
          Just getting my feet wet in WSJT. (Joe et all, thanks for all the hard
          work and dedication to this hobby and the software!!)
          Victor K4XTT
        • David R. Hassall
          Message 4 of 8 , Jan 26, 2009
            Message
            Dear Group,

            Some times the best teacher is experience.  Experience has taught me well over the years.  Sure I make mistakes, but so far no one has cut my head off for it.
            With WSJT it was more of a  "install it" and let's see what it does experience.   After about the first 10 contacts on JT65A, I finally got the message sequence
            down so that I didn't mess the other guy up in knowing what I had received.  In WSJT the message sequence is critical in keeping the other station informed
            on what you receeived and where things stand in the QSO.   I am sure that I had some of the other guys wondreing what I was doing, but they hung in there
            with me until I got all the information across.  The finer issues with the software will be learned over time using it.  I still don't know it ALL, but I know enough
            to keep making contacts.  I am still trying to learn the finer points of digging the weak ones out of the DUST.  (DUST is what I call those little white specs on
            the Spectrum Display)  I still get fooled sometimes but more often than not, I find a signal in there.   A lot of the other operators on this mode through this
            website and through emails with them have helped me with these finer points.  As you get more familiar with the operation of this program you will also become
            more familiar with and to the group you operate.   This will usually make you less aprehensive to ask a question about how something works or what a
            particular function of the WSJT program does.  These answers have provided me with a better teaching tool than anything else.  So, guys,  To me a teaching
            video may be good to get some folks going, but it won't be a replacement for the experience of doing it.   When Joe put out the tutorial with the signals  on
            wave files, That helped some get going  and it gave you some experience in listening for the signal and what it sounded like.  But installing the software
            and putting your radio on 14.076 and hooking the antenna connector up to whatever you have for a antenna will do the same thing and it will be LIVE.
            Then don your radio experimenters hat and go for it.   I used the "Bozo's Guide" to get all the buttons in the right place to start and then picked on
            the first guy I saw calling CQ.  That was KC2QII who himself was an experimenter of Software Defined Radios.  From there it is all history.
            That is my story on how I got going on this mode, and I am sticking to it.

            73 Dave
            David R. Hassall WA5DJJ
            Email: dhassall@...

          • Dave Ackrill
            Message 5 of 8 , Jan 26, 2009
              David R. Hassall wrote:
              > Dear Group,
              >
              > Some times the best teacher is experience. Experience has taught me
              > well over the years. Sure I make mistakes, but so far no one has cut my
              > head off for it.
              > With WSJT it was more of a "install it" and let's see what it does
              > experience. After about the first 10 contacts on JT65A, I finally got
              > the message sequence
              > down so that I didn't mess the other guy up in knowing what I had
              > received.

              I'm sure many on here will know of "The Complete Bozo's Guide to HF
              JT65A" by Andy (K3UK) at http://www.pe2pe.eu/images/WSJT%20on%20HF.htm

              However, there have been some changes to operating practices in respect
              of sending reports with a value of signal strength, so it's worth
              another look. Plus, remembering that there's an option for standard
              messages in either North America" (NA) or Europe (Eu) within the options
              program.

              Now, if only it was possible to let those people who don't keep their PC
              Clock accurately synchronised know why they make fewer contacts than
              they could... :-)

              Dave (G0DJA)
            • wb3bel
              Message 6 of 8 , Jan 26, 2009
                I will echo Dave's advice to get on and try.

                Yes, it is a bit confusing to start, but if you make a mistake and
                almost everyone does, its not the end of the world or anything.

                It's just a hobby.

                The guy on the other end will hopefully help you get the kinks worked
                out. You can likely find someone on pingjockey who will be happy to
                give you advice. If you get on in the morning or evening you are
                more likely to find someone there. Midday when the meteors are less
                likely to be flying and folks are at work there might not be anyone
                paying attention to the message board.

                The dyed in the wool meteor scatter guys always are looking to find
                new stations to contact. They really want to see new guys and you
                will likely experience the adventure of hearing the digital meteor
                pings.

                On the other hand you might not be aware but G7CNF has made a series
                of youtube videos about making meteor scatter contacts using WSJT
                that you can navigate to from his webpages:

                http://g7cnf.me.uk/