distances on WSPR

  • nihongostudent
    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 13, 2010
      Greetings to all. My recent posts have all been concentrated on difficulties in setting up WSPR. Everything seems to be working now. I am coming to the conclusion that the problem is my schedule of operation and the lack of stations active within a reasonable distance.
      I pulled out the WSPRnet activity chart which is broken down by bands and pulled out DXAtlas with the caliper function and looked at the distances from my location in Northern Thailand to the closest active stations in Italy, Germany or Russia and about 8000 to 9000 km was about the general minimum. There was one lonely VU2 but one does not a contact assure. These were all on the thirty meter band. But on all the other bands there was no activity in South East Asia at all. So I am thinking that I might have to wait until there is more activity in my general neighborhood. Can anyone tell me what is the general maximum distance a signal will be received? My guess, an uneducated one, is that these are all one hop signals, and a multi hop signal would have too much attenuation to be received even with the awesome under the noise floor capabilities of WSPR. Any ideas?
      Richard
      HS0ZFQ