Re: Laptop info

  • Art Jackson
    Message 1 of 5 , Nov 30, 2003
      Hi Phil,
      If you plan to use it for Meteor Scatter only which is predominately
      FSK441 and little JT6M, a 266MHz laptop will work fine.

      JT65 takes alot more CPU than JT44 did. Decodes take several times
      longer on my older CPU (166Mhz). Infact, I was not pleased. My old
      laptop is a workhorse on all the other modes. I also use it for all
      the other digital modes (PSK, RTTY and CW).

      JT65 runs fine on my newer computers (1 GHz+).
      You might want to try the laptop computer out as a Monitor and see
      what happens before you buy it.

      Good Luck
      Art

      --- In wsjtgroup@yahoogroups.com, "N0PB Phil" <n0pb@s...> wrote:
      > I am looking at purchasing a laptop to use mobile
    • David Robinson
      Message 2 of 5 , Dec 1, 2003
        Message
        Phil

        I have been succesfully using the thinkpad 560X with 233M processor and 96M memory for the last couple of years with wsjt. It cost $82 on ebay. I use a belkin usb to serial adaptor to control the PTT and use the onboard serial port to connect to a surplus $15 motorola UT+ and run Nmeatime to maintain timing. Nmeatime is vital as I find the time drifts under Windows 98SE. On my other 560X running win 95 i dont need it

        Dave

        ww2r