Fw: Firefly Mission to Study Terrestrial Gamma-ray Flashes

  • john flinn
    Message 1 of 3 , Jan 31, 2010
      Sounds like a new propagation mode.  Could this explain the sometime mentioned lightning propagation?
      John W9SE
      Message 2 of 3 , Feb 1, 2010
        Lightning propagation is very real.  I have experienced it when operating on 432 during an approaching storm.  The mode is very similar to meteors in that the lightning stroke produces intense ionization that dissipates very rapidly.  The ionization produced is much more intense than that of a meteor but it does not last very long.  I could copy partial words or a couple dots from stations on the other side of the storm, but not enough to make a contact with conventional means (CW or SSB).  On two meters the static crash associated with the stroke makes so much noise in the receiver that you can't hear the signal reflection, but at 432 the static is much less and the signal gets through.  As I recall we were also able to hear reflections on 1296!  If that is right then the ionization is tremendously more intense than for meteors.

        Perhaps using FSK441 (which was not invented yet then) an actual contact could be made using lightning scatter.

        73, Russ K2TXB

        Message 3 of 3 , Feb 1, 2010
          Hello Russ

          Like you I've heard propagation enhancements which I believe to have been
          caused by the remnant ionisation of lightning strikes.

          In my case the enhancements were on the usually weakly scattered signal of the
          1.3GHz GB3MHL beacon. They sounded a little like very short meteor bursts, and
          produced enhancements of more than 20dB with no audible sign of Doppler
          shifts. The beacon is located about 400km away in the east of England, and
          there was the time intense thunderstorm activity reported from about the mid-
          point of the path at the time I was hearing the effect.

          The UK isn't exactly a lightning hot spot, and people living in parts of the
          world where electrical storms are more common might well be able to exploit
          FSK441 to make QSOs on 1.3GHz, and maybe higher frequencies.

          Vy 73

          Chris
          GW4DGU