Re: [wsjtgroup] Computer clock synch on Windows 7

  • Bill VanAlstyne W5WVO
    Message 1 of 9 , Jan 19, 2010
      This has been a most productive thread! I've shut off the Windows Time service and downloaded/installed the Meinberg NTP client as well as the GUI. My system time is now dead-nuts in sync with WWV/WWVB. Thanks to all who helped! Slowly but surely, this new HP Win7 64-bit machine is coming to life.

      Bill W5WVO

      Message 2 of 9 , Jan 19, 2010
        Further on the initial subject of this thread -- i.e., using D4 on Windows 7 --

        According to Doug VE5UF, you CAN make D4 work on Windows 7, but you have to do the following:

           (a) Shut off the Windows Time service

           (b) Run D4 in Administrator mode

           (c) Apply Compatibility Mode for Windows XP SP3 to it

        The last two items are checkbox options selected on the Properties dialog box for the D4 executable. Right-click on D4.exe in Windows Explorer and select Properties from the menu to get there.

        However, I haven't bothered to actually do this because the public-domain Meinberg NTP client referred to below in this thread uses a drift correction capability, which D4 does not. This makes it more accurate than D4 is anyway, and it's also free.

        So, problem solved two different ways. Smile emoticon

        Bill W5WVO

        Sent: Tuesday, January 19, 2010 1:14 PM