Backscatter Planner/Tool Available

  • Bruce Brackin, N5SIX
    Message 1 of 3 , Jan 10, 2010
      For those of you that like to run and use backscatter, particularly on
      6m, there is now an Excel spreadsheet available for downloading on the
      WSJTGroup site to help. I modified a sheet used in a large workbook
      collection of navigation and aviation formulas. It seems to work well
      and hopefully it is easy to use. To run it, you will have to have
      macros enabled. The workbook has been scanned numerous times with
      several anti-virus programs.

      The input is just your and your partner's 6 character grids. It is set
      up to give you the two optimal and equidistant grid intercepts at 400
      miles from each location. The optimal girds and resulting azimuths for
      both parties are returned. Remember to agree on which of the two
      possible intercepts you plan to use! There is a short writeup of the of
      the background, technique and program as well. This approach is very
      helpful when trying to run ms at shorter distances. The information and
      Excel sheet is available off the WSJTGroup home page or you can go
      directly to the new download area Tip created at:
      http://www.ykc.com/wa5ufh/Download/downloads.htm

      I hope it will be useful to the ms community. I note in the writeup
      that I'd like to find someone with the programming skills and an
      interest to take it and possibly adapt it to a small standalone or Java
      script routine. If undertaken, I would be glad to work with someone.
      The sheets are locked and password protected as several of the user
      defined spherical geometry functions and calculations derive their input
      from fixed, absolute cell references and the output of several are the
      same. As always, we are open to suggestions.

      Bruce, N5SIX
    • Barry Garratt
      Message 2 of 3 , Jan 10, 2010
        Very nice tool Bruce.