Re: [wsjtgroup] Random Hour or lack thereof

  • Bill W5WVO
    Message 1 of 6 , Jan 3, 2010
      Hi Sebastian,

      I remember you from when you were on previously. Glad to have you back.

      I'm chasing the 6-meter FFMA award and have no 2-meter antennas up anyway, so my use of meteor scatter is, for the time, restricted to 6 meters by choice. It's true that you can work farther on 6m using other propagation modalities, but being able to work SHORTER is a real advantage when it comes to working those close-in grid squares for VUCC/FFMA credit that are too far for troposcatter and too close for sporadic-E. I've worked probably twenty grids on WSJT meteor scatter that I wouldn't otherwise have because of path distance, plus another twenty that I could have worked on sporadic-E, if only there had been a sporadic-E opening to that grid at that time. Meteors are always there, while sporadic-E is, well, sporadic. :-)

      Regarding PJ -- I feel your pain (as does everybody else who uses it). Yes, it is slow, and no, I don't know why -- but my guess is that the cgi script that drives it could be improved. (Or maybe it is just on a slow server, like you speculated.) That's about as far as I can comment on it, because I really don't have any more information on it than you do. One trick that does speed things up a little is to click on the REFRESH link repeatedly (not the browser's Refresh, but PJ's) after posting something that needs a response. Don't wait for the default update, which I think is at least 60 seconds.

      Anyway, we will look forward to having you back on the rocks, Sebastian.

      73,
      Bill W5WVO