Re: [wsjtgroup] GB3CSB Beacon Reports

  • Dave Ackrill
    Message 1 of 10 , Jan 1, 2010
      Dave Ackrill wrote:
      > Some early results of reception reports for the new beacon here as follows

      Strangely, after the first couple of days of monitoring the beacon when
      I decoded quite a few signals from GB3CSB, the number of decodes that I
      am getting has reduced to almost zero.

      I do see the CW/tone on the odd minutes and occasional traces of the 4
      JT4g tones, but very rarely does WSJT manage to decode anything.

      There is the problem of reflections from aircraft, of course, but it is
      frustrating to see a nice strong line on the odd minute but then nothing
      decoded during the JT4g period of transmission.

      Another strange effect, as well as the 'Wrong Mode' decodes due to
      reflections, was this one
      110000 1 -28 2.5 311 90 # 0M6SQG 4O2JVL PF31 OOO 1 0
      which is obviously marked with a # but is very weird as I don't use Deep
      Search at all...

      Other people report hearing the beacon stronger, audibly, than I do, so
      it could be a combination of my location and the need to improve the
      reception side of my 23cm station I guess?

      Dave (G0DJA)
    • Dave Ackrill
      Message 2 of 10 , Jan 2, 2010
        I'm trying to use the Dsec adjustment to allow for the 2.4 second DT
        offset until the weather improves and the beacon keeper gets the chance
        to alter the transmit timing.

        So, if the received DT is +2.4 seconds, do I set Dset to -2.5 or +2.5?

        This will also help me if I see people with little, or no, computer
        clock checking as well, of course.

        Thanks - Dave (G0DJA)
      • Dave Ackrill
        Message 3 of 10 , Jan 2, 2010
          Dave Ackrill wrote:

          > So, if the received DT is +2.4 seconds, do I set Dset to -2.5 or +2.5?

          I think I may have figured it out...

          I set +2.5 on Dsec and received the following decode
          133757 4 -23 4.9 7 0 * GB3CSB IO75XX 1 0

          Which suggests I should set -2.5 instead.

          I'll give that a go for a while and see what happens.

          Dave (G0DJA)
        • Dave Ackrill
          Message 4 of 10 , Jan 2, 2010
            Dave Ackrill wrote:

            >> So, if the received DT is +2.4 seconds, do I set Dset to -2.5 or +2.5?
            >
            > I think I may have figured it out...

            For anyone else wanting to do the same, I've found that a Dsec setting
            of -1.5 seems to work the best for me, although conditions on 23cm have
            been pretty dire all day.

            Managed to capture this a while ago.

            155401 7 -21 0.9 7 20 * GB3CSB IO75XX 1 0

            Which seems close enough for now.

            Dave (G0DJA)