GB3CSB Beacon 1296.985000MHz running JT4g - IO75xx 150 deg

  • David GM6BIG
    Message 1 of 10 , Dec 27, 2009
      Hi All,

      A new Microwave beacon is now operational in Central Southern Scotland just
      outside Kilsyth near Glasgow running JT4g.

      The beacon is located at IO75xx, is GPS locked and runs JT4g sequence
      starting on the even minute.
      Freqy 1296.985000 is in the center of the JT4g tones and is the idle freqy
      between JT4 and CWID.

      It is running 25W eirp and is beaming 150 degrees, with 3db beamwidth of 60
      degrees.
      This means it is roughly firing down the aircraft corridor from Glasgow to
      London and beyond.

      Technically, the beacon is using 4 pic microprocessors.
      One for the VE2ZAZ GPS locking.
      The second is in an ApolLo local Osc board.
      The third processes the GPS data, alarm info, remote control and monitoring,
      housekeeping etc.
      The fourth is dedicated to controlling a DDS to create the JT4g tones.

      There will be 13cm and 9cm additions to the beacon in the near future.

      I am interested in any reception reports and suggestions direct to me at
      freevil@...
      Or you can use this site to log reports......
      http://www.beaconspot.eu/index.php
      as well as wsjtgroup@yahoogroups.com of course.

      Reports over 500Km with good JT4g decodes have been received so far.
      (Not by aircraft scatter)

      Please be aware due to the current Wx, the antenna at the site is frequently
      encased in ice !!
      This is bound to be affecting the erp !

      Many thanks to Joe K1JT for his help while I was developing the beacon, and
      for the modifications to the JT4 decoder to improve its performance for
      terrestrial microwave use.

      Seasons Greetings and 73 de David GM6BIG
    • Dave Ackrill
      Message 2 of 10 , Dec 27, 2009
        David GM6BIG wrote:
        > Hi All,
        >
        > A new Microwave beacon is now operational in Central Southern Scotland just
        > outside Kilsyth near Glasgow running JT4g.
        >
        > The beacon is located at IO75xx, is GPS locked and runs JT4g sequence
        > starting on the even minute.
        > Freqy 1296.985000 is in the center of the JT4g tones and is the idle freqy
        > between JT4 and CWID.

        Hearing it quite well here at the moment with its 25W ERP.

        162200 7 -22 2.3 -182 0 * GB3CSB IO75XX 1 0

        Dave G0DJA)
      • Dave Ackrill
        Message 3 of 10 , Dec 27, 2009
          Some early results of reception reports for the new beacon here as follows

          Time Sync dB DT DF W Flag Message
          162200 7 -22 2.3 -182 0 * GB3CSB IO75XX
          163200 15 -16 2.4 -68 29 * GB3CSB IO75XX
          163600 13 -17 2.4 -2 34 * GB3CSB IO75XX
          163800 8 -16 2.3 -4 36 * GB3CSB IO75XX
          171200 12 -15 2.3 33 0 * GB3CSB IO75XX
          172000 8 -20 2.4 -2 32 * GB3CSB IO75XX
          172200 12 -14 2.4 -7 0 * GB3CSB IO75XX
          173600 14 -13 2.3 4 12 * GB3CSB IO75XX
          174000 6 -21 2.4 -2 60 * GB3CSB IO75XX
          175400 4 -22 2.3 9 2 * GB3CSB IO75XX
          175600 4 -23 2.3 2 99 * GB3CSB IO75XX
          180400 4 -23 2.4 -26 25 * GB3CSB IO75XX

          It is 354km on a bearing of 331 degrees from here.

          Some of the odd minute CW/tone transmissions also produce a ***WRONG
          MODE?*** report, especially when there's aircraft reflections on the
          signal. I also occasionally hear the tones, and there's a faint trace
          on SpecJT, but the signals appear to be too weak for WSJT7 to decode them.

          Dave (G0DJA)
        • David GM6BIG
          Message 4 of 10 , Dec 27, 2009
            Hi Dave,

            Tnx for the reports - excellent !

            I have had a few report the "Zap" option needs to be unticked to prevent the
            "Wrong Mode?".

            I also have got the DT a bit wrong, it should be nearer 1 (to much of a
            hurry to get it on before the bad Wx arrived).
            Which has made it rather close to the cwid. (In fact, its preventing the
            even minute ident).
            I will correct that next time I am at the site, along with a few other
            tweeks.

            I think versions of WSJT from r1269 have a better decoder for JT4G, as it
            tries successively searching on narrower bin width to see if it can decode
            with a narrower filter...

            Cheers, DAvid GM6BIG

            > Some early results of reception reports for the new beacon here as follows
            >
            > Time Sync dB DT DF W Flag Message
            > 162200 7 -22 2.3 -182 0 * GB3CSB IO75XX
            > 163200 15 -16 2.4 -68 29 * GB3CSB IO75XX
            > 163600 13 -17 2.4 -2 34 * GB3CSB IO75XX
            > 163800 8 -16 2.3 -4 36 * GB3CSB IO75XX
            > 171200 12 -15 2.3 33 0 * GB3CSB IO75XX
            > 172000 8 -20 2.4 -2 32 * GB3CSB IO75XX
            > 172200 12 -14 2.4 -7 0 * GB3CSB IO75XX
            > 173600 14 -13 2.3 4 12 * GB3CSB IO75XX
            > 174000 6 -21 2.4 -2 60 * GB3CSB IO75XX
            > 175400 4 -22 2.3 9 2 * GB3CSB IO75XX
            > 175600 4 -23 2.3 2 99 * GB3CSB IO75XX
            > 180400 4 -23 2.4 -26 25 * GB3CSB IO75XX
            >
            > It is 354km on a bearing of 331 degrees from here.
            >
            > Some of the odd minute CW/tone transmissions also produce a ***WRONG
            > MODE?*** report, especially when there's aircraft reflections on the
            > signal. I also occasionally hear the tones, and there's a faint trace
            > on SpecJT, but the signals appear to be too weak for WSJT7 to decode them.
            >
            > Dave (G0DJA)

            > WSJTGroup HomePage http://www.ykc.com/wa5ufh/
            >

            > Yahoo! Groups Links

          • Dave Ackrill
            Message 5 of 10 , Dec 27, 2009
              David GM6BIG wrote:
              > Hi Dave,
              >
              > Tnx for the reports - excellent !
              >
              > I have had a few report the "Zap" option needs to be unticked to prevent the
              > "Wrong Mode?".

              I don't usually have 'Zap' ticked anyway, but thanks for the tip David.

              I'll ask on the WSJT development forum if someone can compile me a newer
              version as I've still not got my head around how to do this for myself.

              Good luck with the re-visit to site. Not something to contemplate in
              this weather though, I should think...

              Cheers - Dave (G0DJA)
            • Dave Ackrill
              Message 6 of 10 , Dec 27, 2009
                I'm seeing some strange reports in the DOS window when running WSJT7.
                Enable diagnostics is off, but these messages keep appearing.

                sync24 a: -480 101 581
                sync24 a: -470 111 581
                sync24 a: -486 95 581
                sync24 a: -480 101 581
                sync24 a: -491 90 581
                sync24 a: -453 128 581
                sync24 a: -463 118 581
                sync24 a: -482 99 581
                sync24 a: -455 126 581
                sync24 a: -481 100 581
                sync24 a: -461 120 581

                Anyone know what they are and what they mean, please?

                Thanks - Dave (G0DJA)
              • Dave Ackrill
                Message 7 of 10 , Jan 1, 2010
                  Dave Ackrill wrote:
                  > Some early results of reception reports for the new beacon here as follows

                  Strangely, after the first couple of days of monitoring the beacon when
                  I decoded quite a few signals from GB3CSB, the number of decodes that I
                  am getting has reduced to almost zero.

                  I do see the CW/tone on the odd minutes and occasional traces of the 4
                  JT4g tones, but very rarely does WSJT manage to decode anything.

                  There is the problem of reflections from aircraft, of course, but it is
                  frustrating to see a nice strong line on the odd minute but then nothing
                  decoded during the JT4g period of transmission.

                  Another strange effect, as well as the 'Wrong Mode' decodes due to
                  reflections, was this one
                  110000 1 -28 2.5 311 90 # 0M6SQG 4O2JVL PF31 OOO 1 0
                  which is obviously marked with a # but is very weird as I don't use Deep
                  Search at all...

                  Other people report hearing the beacon stronger, audibly, than I do, so
                  it could be a combination of my location and the need to improve the
                  reception side of my 23cm station I guess?

                  Dave (G0DJA)
                • Dave Ackrill
                  Message 8 of 10 , Jan 2, 2010
                    I'm trying to use the Dsec adjustment to allow for the 2.4 second DT
                    offset until the weather improves and the beacon keeper gets the chance
                    to alter the transmit timing.

                    So, if the received DT is +2.4 seconds, do I set Dset to -2.5 or +2.5?

                    This will also help me if I see people with little, or no, computer
                    clock checking as well, of course.

                    Thanks - Dave (G0DJA)
                  • Dave Ackrill
                    Message 9 of 10 , Jan 2, 2010
                      Dave Ackrill wrote:

                      > So, if the received DT is +2.4 seconds, do I set Dset to -2.5 or +2.5?

                      I think I may have figured it out...

                      I set +2.5 on Dsec and received the following decode
                      133757 4 -23 4.9 7 0 * GB3CSB IO75XX 1 0

                      Which suggests I should set -2.5 instead.

                      I'll give that a go for a while and see what happens.

                      Dave (G0DJA)
                    • Dave Ackrill
                      Message 10 of 10 , Jan 2, 2010
                        Dave Ackrill wrote:

                        >> So, if the received DT is +2.4 seconds, do I set Dset to -2.5 or +2.5?
                        >
                        > I think I may have figured it out...

                        For anyone else wanting to do the same, I've found that a Dsec setting
                        of -1.5 seems to work the best for me, although conditions on 23cm have
                        been pretty dire all day.

                        Managed to capture this a while ago.

                        155401 7 -21 0.9 7 20 * GB3CSB IO75XX 1 0

                        Which seems close enough for now.

                        Dave (G0DJA)