Re: For Newbies or those considering MS without big stations.

  • ve2dsb
    Message 1 of 3 , Dec 14, 2009
      Gm Curt

      3 years ago, my setup was 6 elements homebrew yagi beam and worked about 27 initials with it and had only 30w output from radio. Today my 12 elements Hombrew K1FO and 160w output give me lot of fun on MS

      Right now working on 6m with 5 elements Hombrew K1FO kind yagi and driving only 8w with Ten Tec 1209 transverter. 1087mi Qso was done with Ira K4YMQ EM63 in about 15 minutes on Meteor scatter.

      So guys, don't worry about power or antenna's, just make some fsk441 noise on the air, be sure someone some where will heard you finaly.

      By the Way, rocks don't need alot power to reflect your signal, just transmits and rocks will make the rest.

      Congrat Curt for your Florida QSO, was on PJ when you've done with Bobby. Bobby and I trying each day for a possible QSO and i'm sure we will made it one of these day.

      Let go guys, make some noise on frequency..

      73 Dan VE2DSB

      --- In wsjtgroup@yahoogroups.com, "captcurt2000" <captcurt@...> wrote:

      > GM All:
      >
      > For those that do not have large antennas and powerful rigs--there is hope. Don't let that deter you from trying Meter Scatter operations. Here is where I'm at right now:
      >
      > Really old TS700S. Very good frequency alignment is the only real performance change. Verified with freq counter. Antenna is a 6 element WA5VJB "cheap yagi" made with brazing rod stuck thru a pc of PVC pipe. The butt end of the pipe is stuck thru a 2x4 at an elevation angle of about 10 degrees and bolted to the rotor at 12 ft off the ground.
      >
      > Amplifier is an old MASTR II mobile radio amp running in class C I picked up for $20 off ebay. Coax is LMR400 about 40'.
      >
      > No Preamp, No Tower, No synth Radio, etc.
      >
      > In the last couple of months I have completed a dozen or so contacts with most in the range of 600-800 miles. Total distance accumulated is just under 10K miles.
      >
      > This morning, completed contact during Geminids at 1061 Miles with N3LL in EL96.
      >
      > So it is possible to do MS with a very MINIMAL set-up. At least at one end of the path :)
      >
      > Cant wait to get the new beam up and upgrade the amp situation somewhat. My point is, don't wait..get in there and try it all out. You probably won't make every try--even the big guns get shut out alot--but you'll gain a lot of experience and knowledge about what things need changing to make the system work more consistently.
      >
      > See you all on the Rox!!
      >
      > Thanks to all that frequent Ping Jockey...for the Q's and encouragement.
      >
      > 73
      >
      > Curt
      > KU8L

    • captcurt2000
      Message 2 of 3 , Dec 14, 2009
        Thanks Dan

        You are certainly one of the ones I aimed my thanks to..You have been very supportive since I got on MS. Cant wait to get the 6M stuff going also. Have the radio, antenna and amp started..need some break in work schedule and some good weather (Ha!).

        See ya on PJ.

        Curt