Re: BC's = BC's (my 2 cents)

  • wb3bel
    Message 1 of 2 , Nov 23, 2009
      I agree with most of what Randy has said in his post.

      You have to decode both calls to proceed past that phase in the QSO attempt.

      Tradition in meteor scatter from SSB to HSCW has considered getting both calls by combining information from two or more sequences acceptable. I also would caution going too far with this idea. It's better to wait for another ping if there is any doubt.

      However, I also find that dynamic operator interaction with WSJT controls can improve decoding success, especially with weak or distorted pings. Using the RIT and Tol together often seems to help.

      Adjusting the Tol downward when a weak forced decode shows low DF and subsequently re-forcing decode sometimes yields additional data.

      Or you may have to widen the Tol and re-force decode if you decode partial with big DF or DF varying over duration of burst. There may have been a ping with big doppler, or the station you are running with may have frequency drift as their transmitter heats up or has adjusted their VFO.

      Sometimes forcing decodes with different start time by choosing the cursor position yields additional data. Sometimes the result is amazing. It's not just for Both calls either. You may discover the station you are running with is not using SH or is using appended msgs.

      Sometimes you get a ping like this one W0xyz WB3?EL. You could wait for another...Or maybe with some interaction using WSJT re-decodes you could move on the the next message in the sequence.

      I think that future generations of software could apply some stronger second pass processing to time segments marked "of interest". I can quite frequently hear pings that will not auto-decode. You can hear the characteristic whirring tones of FSK441a some of which are not readily visible on SpecJT. On the other hand, if I don't hear the 441a whirring or SH tones, I can be pretty sure that anything that auto-decodes is garbage. This can provide a useful filter especially for bogus SH decodes.

      I think that stations with good antenna systems and low noise environments may wish to "just wait for the next ping". But stations with more marginal set-ups may want to "make every ping count".

      VHF operators know all about getting every last dB out of their stations. Dynamically interacting with WSJT will allow you to tweak the last dB or fraction thereof out of the Software Decoder as well.

      73 and good luck with the meteors.
      -Harry WB3BEL