Quad wire question

  • Jacob Tennant
    Message 1 of 5 , Apr 7, 2002
      Looking at finally getting my new quad built and was looking at using
      14guage solid copper wire, insulated that I was given (250'+/-) and was
      considering the insulation as to change in resonance?

      Designed for 50.200, 7 elements on a 20' boom.

      Thanks for the help in advance
      Jacob Tennant - K8JWT
    • JAYB
      Message 2 of 5 , Apr 7, 2002
        Insulation (assuming it's the usual plastic covering, low loss stuff) should make no measureable difference at 50 mhz. Cut the antenna to the specified dimensions. May make some difference at 420 mhz and above, would strip off the insulation if using the wire for UHF beams.
        73, jay - k2ovs
      • JAYB
        Message 3 of 5 , Apr 7, 2002
          Why a Quad, anyhow ? Has no advantage over a Yagi of comparable length, harder to build, tune, install, rotate and keep up in wind and ice storms.
          jay - k2ovs :))
        • Jacob Tennant
          Message 4 of 5 , Apr 7, 2002
            I like them????
            > Why a Quad, anyhow ? Has no advantage over a Yagi of comparable length,
            harder to build, tune, install, rotate and keep up in wind and ice storms.
            > jay - k2ovs :))

          • JAYB
            Message 5 of 5 , Apr 7, 2002
              they (quads) do have a certain artistic quality - hard to argue with personal taste ; I myself find spiral loops most gratifying.