FYI :QSY via meteors pings & tailending contacts procedures...

  • Randy Tipton
    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 30, 2009
      Because there are so many new stations operating HSMS I wanted to share with
      those who have not tried the procedures of tail ending and qsy. Both
      techniques work well and can greatly add to your completion count during
      activity periods like "Random Hour" or HSMS contests.

      It is easier to move a station from six meters to a specified frequency on
      two meters but it can work both ways.

      The QSY procedure is really easy. Lets say you are working me on six meters
      and after the "RRR" are received instead of sending 73 append the message to
      read QSY XXX. (Where XXX is the desired frequency) So if I received QSY 144
      I know you will be calling me on 144.144 keeping the same tx/tx sequence as
      the prior contact. If rox's are very good I might send RGR XXX 73 instead
      of the normal 73 or I might just qsy to two meters and start calling. It is
      best to know rather the station you want to move is active on that band
      however not absolutely necessary. I have had stations respond to me "NO TWO
      MTRS".

      The key thing to remember about the "tail ending" is to listen. After a
      contact is completed other stations might call, but you will not hear them
      if you change frequency or don't pay attention. I recommend listening at
      least two full minutes after completing a contact before moving on. During
      contests ping jockey is often times very busy. If you see a station you want
      to work but someone else beat you in the scheduling role, just follow them
      to there contact frequency and start calling them after you hear the RRR
      message from either party. Make sure you use the opposite sequence of the
      station you want to call.

      The last hint for making more contacts is to monitor the calling frequency
      for stations calling or put out a cq of your own. Some stations will post on
      the logger they are calling cq on some frequency other than the call
      frequency. They miss an audience that is monitoirng the call frequency. I
      have heard some say they do not call cq on the call frequency because they
      have a birdie there or noise. That is not a problem if stations use the
      offset method. Most agree that the call frequency is not the place for
      contacts except during activity periods where the purpose is for all to
      share a common frequency however "appended" messages must be used during
      random hour or kaos is the result.

      Ping Jockey is good for schedules but "tail ending contacts" and "moving
      stations to another band" are options sometimes overlooked by newbie's. Give
      it a try tomorrow during random hour.

      Tip
      WA5UFH