Re: [wsjtgroup] Questions, mainly about sound card clock speed/decoding

  • Peter Frenning [OZ1PIF]
    Message 1 of 5 , Oct 17, 2009
      vk2gom skrev:
      > I have installed WSJT, hoping to use JT65A on HF.
      >
      > I can decode the example .wav files downloaded from the net. However, I notice my sound card timings are something like 0.9797 : 1.0068. According to the instructions, this is outside the +/- 0.0005 limit.
      >
      > I have entered the stabilised figures into the setup screen, however, after this, the .wav files won't decode any more.
      >
      > If I delete the WSJT.ini file to reset everything, it'll decode again.
      >
      > So am I meant to worry about the sound card clock errors?
      >
      > I haven't managed to decode anything off-air yet though. I'm only QRV on 30m, but of course it's possible that the traces I'm seeing in the waterfall are not JT65A... Is 10.139MHz the accepted area of activity?
      >
      > Any tips welcome.
      >
      > 73 - Rob VK2GOM / G0MOH

      If you can decode files but not received "real-time" signals, I would
      say that your PC-clock is off by more than one second from "true".

      The solution is to install D4 (http://www.thinkman.com/dimension4/) and
      configure it to update your PC clock every 5 min or so. (if you're
      running some version of windows, if you're a Linux user you just enable
      ntp).

      Good luck!

      --
      Vy 73 de OZ1PIF/5Q2M, Peter

      **********************************
      ** Armageddon was yesterday. **
      ** Today we have a really **
      ** serious problem! **
      ** (Lisbeth Salander's T-Shirt) **
      **********************************
      email: peter(no-spam filler)@...
      http://www.frenning.dk/oz1pif.htm
      Ph. +45 4619 3239
      Snailmail:
      Peter Frenning
      Ternevej 23
      DK-4130 Viby Sj.
      Denmark
      ***********************************
    • Earl Needham
      Message 2 of 5 , Oct 17, 2009
        OZ1PIF said:

        "The solution is to install D4 (http://www.thinkman .com/dimension4/) and configure it to update your PC clock every 5 min or so. (if you're running some version of windows, if you're a Linux user you just enable ntp)"

        You can do the same thing in Windows.

        7 3
        Earl

        KD5XB -- Earl Needham
        http://groups.yahoo.com/group/cw_bugs
        Quoting from the Coast Guard: ZUT
        Posted via Blackberry
        Message 3 of 5 , Oct 17, 2009
          Hi Rob and all,

          Your stabilized reading for the audio input sample rate is unusually far
          away from the nominal 1.0000. (I've never seen one that bad before.)
          It suggests something may be wrong with the audio subsystem, or with its
          design. If it's feasible to do so, you should probably try another
          sound card.

          When decoding recorded files the correct audio input rate setting is
          that of the machine that did the recording, NOT your own machine. When
          decoding the example files from the WSJT Decoding Tutorial, you should
          use 1.0000.

          -- 73, Joe, K1JT

          vk2gom wrote:
          > I have installed WSJT, hoping to use JT65A on HF.
          >
          > I can decode the example .wav files downloaded from the net. However, I notice my sound card timings are something like 0.9797 : 1.0068. According to the instructions, this is outside the +/- 0.0005 limit.
          >
          > I have entered the stabilised figures into the setup screen, however, after this, the .wav files won't decode any more.
          >
          > If I delete the WSJT.ini file to reset everything, it'll decode again.
          >
          > So am I meant to worry about the sound card clock errors?
          >
          > I haven't managed to decode anything off-air yet though. I'm only QRV on 30m, but of course it's possible that the traces I'm seeing in the waterfall are not JT65A... Is 10.139MHz the accepted area of activity?
          >
          > Any tips welcome.
          >
          > 73 - Rob VK2GOM / G0MOH

          > WSJTGroup HomePage http://www.ykc.com/wa5ufh/
          >

          > Yahoo! Groups Links

        • Dave Ackrill
          Message 4 of 5 , Oct 17, 2009
            Joe Taylor wrote:
            > Hi Rob and all,
            >
            > Your stabilized reading for the audio input sample rate is unusually far
            > away from the nominal 1.0000. (I've never seen one that bad before.)
            > It suggests something may be wrong with the audio subsystem, or with its
            > design. If it's feasible to do so, you should probably try another
            > sound card.

            Mine, using a US Interface Navigator as the audio unit, settles at about
            1.0001 and 1.0069. This was the same when I used DM780 and other
            soundcard mode programs.

            However, it does decode if I put these figures into Setup - Options -
            Rate In and Rate Out.

            Dave (G0DJA)