Re: [wsjtgroup] N9SS grid trip

  • Jerry Siegmund
    Message 1 of 8 , Aug 14, 2009
      Dave.. hey, Thats 'All Part of Working /P or /R in the VHF/UHF World'!  I had to work nights during the Perseid's.. so at least you were out there.. 'Attempting to Work Some' ! Sounds like you did a 'FB Job'.. and the equipment failures just come along with the rest! Glad you made it home Safe.. That counts more for "All I am sure.." than 'Just A New Grid' for some! Next Time Bud..! 73
      Jerry VE6CPP
      DN39or

      David Miller wrote:

      Craig (and groups)

      I got back yesterday (Thursday) at 9:30pm. put over 3000 miles on the TrailBlazer! Besides the earlier DN64, I activated DN54, DN63, and DN73 and then ran out of steam after being awake for 36 hours straight. Turns out that it takes me about 8 or more hours per grid to really do it any justice. I spent about 2 or 3 hours in transit between grids, and another hour or two finding a good location with a clear shot in all directions & then getting set up. And then 3 hours minimum running stations on 6 & two meters. Each time I left a grid there were people still waiting/ or hoping to work me. So if I ever do this again I think I will dedicate one day per grid square so that I can work everyone that needs it in the evening and morning time slots and then move on.

      I am sorry that I missed you on DN64. That was probably one of my first attempts at operating on the weekend and I had a lot of equipment issues. I remember looking at some gibberish on my screen and seeing 9CT in the text and thinking at the time, how weird is that.... that of all calls I would see 9CT in that jumble of letters! Then I never saw it again after that, but I was prematurely shut down numerous times because of laptop power inverter problems.

      I didn't figure out until DN54 how to address my noise and shut down problems with my laptop computers! Each time I changed my beam heading I had to reposition my laptop screens and cables for a null in the noise. then I had to recycle the DC power to the laptop power inverters after each TX cycle that was shutting them down. This was quite annoying and time consuming so I didn't do it consistently, and if I went to long the laptops would hibernate in the middle of a QSO attempt. This resulted in me "disappearing" repeatedly during many of my QSO's for periods of several minutes.

      I did work over 50 stations including W9RM for his 2mter WAS and gave WVO a couple more grids for his collection. Exactly 30 years ago, I helped K1WHS with Wyoming for his WAS on 2meters on my way to an Idaho Perseid's trip. Back then we didn't have grids or laptops, we just did HSMS with SSB & CW. That trip was more fun since I stayed put in one location for about two or three days and worked tons of stations with a KW!

      After DN73 I didn't go to DN92 & 93 or any other eastern grids cause I was completely fried from lack of sleep and already a day late getting home. I learned a bunch for the next grid trip though, and I will be able to be more realistic in my scheduling next time.

      My apologies to you and the group for my naivete and lack of communications!

      Dave, N9SS back in EN50

      Message 2 of 8 , Aug 15, 2009
        One thing I might mention regarding noise with laptops....I find that interfacing audio from laptops is seldom noise free. I run sound at ballroom dance events from a laptop. If the laptop is "floating" on it's internal power supply then there is no problem but the moment the power supply is plugged in things get noisy.

        My solution is to use a "hum eliminator" which is really a box with a couple of good audio transformers inside. I recommend the Nady, it's about $20 as I recall. You can find them at www.musiciansfriend.com along with whatever audio cables you may need. It can't hurt and just might solve some noise problems.

        --- In wsjtgroup@yahoogroups.com, David Miller <n9ssham@...> wrote:

        > Craig (and groups)
        >
        > I got back yesterday (Thursday) at 9:30pm. put over 3000 miles on the TrailBlazer! Besides the earlier DN64, I activated DN54, DN63, and DN73 and then ran out of steam after being awake for 36 hours straight. Turns out that it takes me about 8 or more hours per grid to really do it any justice. I spent about 2 or 3 hours in transit between grids, and another hour or two finding a good location with a clear shot in all directions & then getting set up. And then 3 hours minimum running stations on 6 & two meters. Each time I left a grid there were people still waiting/ or hoping to work me. So if I ever do this again I think I will dedicate one day per grid square so that I can work everyone that needs it in the evening and morning time slots and then move on.
        >
        > I am sorry that I missed you on DN64. That was probably one of my first attempts at operating on the weekend and I had a lot of equipment issues. I remember looking at some gibberish on my screen and seeing 9CT in the text and thinking at the time, how weird is that.... that of all calls I would see 9CT in that jumble of letters! Then I never saw it again after that, but I was prematurely shut down numerous times because of laptop power inverter problems.
        >
        > I didn't figure out until DN54 how to address my noise and shut down problems with my laptop computers! Each time I changed my beam heading I had to reposition my laptop screens and cables for a null in the noise. then I had to recycle the DC power to the laptop power inverters after each TX cycle that was shutting them down. This was quite annoying and time consuming so I didn't do it consistently, and if I went to long the laptops would hibernate in the middle of a QSO attempt. This resulted in me "disappearing" repeatedly during many of my QSO's for periods of several minutes.
        >
        > I did work over 50 stations including W9RM for his 2mter WAS and gave WVO a couple more grids for his collection. Exactly 30 years ago, I helped K1WHS with Wyoming for his WAS on 2meters on my way to an Idaho Perseid's trip. Back then we didn't have grids or laptops, we just did HSMS with SSB & CW. That trip was more fun since I stayed put in one location for about two or three days and worked tons of stations with a KW!
        >
        > After DN73 I didn't go to DN92 & 93 or any other eastern grids cause I was completely fried from lack of sleep and already a day late getting home. I learned a bunch for the next grid trip though, and I will be able to be more realistic in my scheduling next time.
        >
        > My apologies to you and the group for my naivete and lack of communications!
        >
        > Dave, N9SS back in EN50

      • Dave Miller
        Message 3 of 8 , Aug 15, 2009
          Thanks Steve! That is good advice for laptop users everywhere. My problem was the RF hash generated by my laptops and Verizon Internet access USB device. If I didn't null out the interference I would have about an S5 noise level on my RX. Since my antenna was less than 5 feet from the laptops this was quite a challenge. Next time I will get the antenna further away and run some tests ahead to make sure I have minimized all RF noise from the auxiliary systems. I am sure I missed lots of contacts due to this high noise level.

          Other than K2DRH, I could not have missed him even with no antenna connected. Would somebody please explain to me how it is physically possible for someone to be 30 to 40 db louder than everyone else 2 meters? How does one get that kind of antenna gain?

          Just envious I guess,

          de N9SS

          --- In wsjtgroup@yahoogroups.com, "Steve" <radarecho57@...> wrote:

> [...]
          > >
          > > I did work over 50 stations including W9RM for his 2mter WAS and gave WVO a couple more grids for his collection. Exactly 30 years ago, I helped K1WHS with Wyoming for his WAS on 2meters on my way to an Idaho Perseid's trip. Back then we didn't have grids or laptops, we just did HSMS with SSB & CW. That trip was more fun since I stayed put in one location for about two or three days and worked tons of stations with a KW!
          > >
          > > After DN73 I didn't go to DN92 & 93 or any other eastern grids cause I was completely fried from lack of sleep and already a day late getting home. I learned a bunch for the next grid trip though, and I will be able to be more realistic in my scheduling next time.
          > >
          > > My apologies to you and the group for my naivete and lack of communications!

        • Dave Ackrill
          Message 4 of 8 , Aug 18, 2009
            I'm trying to use the WSPR 1.12 (Beacon) program with an external USB
            connected soundcard and it wont transmit.

            The WSPR QSO mode in WSJT7 works OK, so I know that it's not a loose
            wire somewhere.

            If I leave the Windows default set to the motherboard soundcard, then
            the USB card shows up as streams 2 = IN and 5 = OUT, which is what WSJT7
            uses. However, with WSJT 1.12 there's no transmitted audio. PTT works
            OK and the receiver works as well.

            If I alter the Windows default to be the external soundcard, then the
            streams alter so that IN = 2 still, but OUT = 4 instead but still no
            audio is transmitted. If I select the motherboard audio out stream then
            I get the tones through the speakers, so the program is generating
            tones, but they don't appear to be getting through the external soundcard.

            I do remember to close WSPR 1.12 and re-open when I change streams
            round, as I know that you have to do that for changes to be recognised
            and applied.

            Has anyone successfully used WSPR 1.12 with an external USB soundcard,
            or do I need to dig out my old interface unit and use the motherboard
            soundcard for WSPR 1.12?

            Thanks for any help.

            Dave (G0DJA)
          • Peter Frenning [OZ1PIF]
            Message 5 of 8 , Aug 18, 2009
              Dave Ackrill skrev:
              > I'm trying to use the WSPR 1.12 (Beacon) program with an external USB
              > connected soundcard and it wont transmit.
              >
              > The WSPR QSO mode in WSJT7 works OK, so I know that it's not a loose
              > wire somewhere.
              >
              > If I leave the Windows default set to the motherboard soundcard, then
              > the USB card shows up as streams 2 = IN and 5 = OUT, which is what WSJT7
              > uses. However, with WSJT 1.12 there's no transmitted audio. PTT works
              > OK and the receiver works as well.
              >
              > If I alter the Windows default to be the external soundcard, then the
              > streams alter so that IN = 2 still, but OUT = 4 instead but still no
              > audio is transmitted. If I select the motherboard audio out stream then
              > I get the tones through the speakers, so the program is generating
              > tones, but they don't appear to be getting through the external soundcard.
              >
              > I do remember to close WSPR 1.12 and re-open when I change streams
              > round, as I know that you have to do that for changes to be recognised
              > and applied.
              >
              > Has anyone successfully used WSPR 1.12 with an external USB soundcard,
              > or do I need to dig out my old interface unit and use the motherboard
              > soundcard for WSPR 1.12?
              >
              > Thanks for any help.
              >
              > Dave (G0DJA)

              I'm doing just that Dave, albeit running Ubuntu 9.04 using a SignaLink
              USB (which is nothing but a USB Sound Card with a VOX), The exact
              version is 1.1_r1042, which I believe is very close to the released 1.12
              for Windows.

              --
              Vy 73 de OZ1PIF/5Q2M, Peter

              ** CW: Who? Me? You must be joking!! **
              email: peter(no-spam-filler)@...
              http://www.frenning.dk/oz1pif.htm
              Ph. +45 4619 3239
              Snailmail:
              Peter Frenning
              Ternevej 23
              DK-4130 Viby Sj.
              Denmark
              ***********************************
            • Dave Ackrill
              Message 6 of 8 , Aug 18, 2009
                Dave Ackrill wrote:
                > I'm trying to use the WSPR 1.12 (Beacon) program with an external USB
                > connected soundcard and it wont transmit.

                After several experiments with different settings, it looks like WSPR
                1.12 isn't producing any audio for me. I can't even get it to output
                audio tones through the soundcard built into the PC.

                If I set up WSJT7 with the built in soundcard, that produces tones with
                no problems, so it should work...

                I have noticed some strange behaviour in WSPR 1.12. In that, no matter
                what I set up under "Setup>Options" for the Audio In and Audio Out, when
                I select RX or TX Volume Control then WSPR 1.12 goes to the default
                Windows soundcard.

                I can get it to receive via the Navigator but I can't get it to produce
                audio tones. As I say, not even if I select the built in soundcard on
                the PC.

                Anyone else had a similar problem? Is there a more up to date version
                than 1.12 r1177 that I can try please?

                Thanks - Dave (G0DJA)
              • Dave Ackrill
                Message 7 of 8 , Aug 18, 2009
                  Dave Ackrill wrote:
                  > Dave Ackrill wrote:
                  >> I'm trying to use the WSPR 1.12 (Beacon) program with an external USB
                  >> connected soundcard and it wont transmit.

                  You know what, it was as simple as setting the frequency in the Dial and
                  TX boxes...

                  I was trying to use a different band, so I put the frequency that I was
                  trying to use in the boxes.... That was my big mistake.

                  As I had selected 'Other' it was expecting an HF frequency around 5MHz
                  (I could use that, I have a permit) but the VHF band I put in was not
                  recognised.

                  This time, I selected 6M, put in a 50MHz frequency that was my intended
                  frequency, but with 50MHz at the start (a white lie for WSPR 1.12
                  benefit) and it works!!

                  Oh well, that's kept me busy whilst coughing and sneezing through the
                  end of my flu bout.

                  Dave (G0DJA)