Tx1 ... Why add to it?

  • Randy Tipton
    Message 1 of 18 , Aug 1, 2009
      Not a big issue but lets consider this...

      The use of the "Grid" square in Tx1 message has fooled me a few times.
      The SOP & messages as designed are supposed to be bullet proof. That is
      there should be no reason to doubt any message received provided the SOP
      is being followed.

      I know several are using the "Grid" format in Tx1. I am not "picking on
      anyone" but am questioning the practice. (If it is good we should all be
      using it) Could be I am missing something and it is a good thing adding
      to messages. I am interested in hearing what others think.

      I believe we are 'drifting' away from the SOP and that I believe will bring
      question to our contacts and accomplishments.

      Lets say a station K5ME is sending CQ. I answer him with Tx1. After 20
      minutes I receive partial calls and 10 minutes latter I receive his call
      plus grid.
      It might look like this...
      KGME WA5UFH (First Decode after 20 minutes or more)
      latter..
      K5ME EM00 (second ping received ...)

      Now I think, ok he is using "Grid" as report. A complete message would
      be in my mind at the time that he is sending ...
      WA5UFH EM00 K5ME EM00EM00

      I now have both calls and it appears he is sending something different. I
      really don't know what is going on except to assume he is using "Grids"
      as reports or he has a "non-standard" message Tx1entered.

      If I assumed the EM00 was his report and start sending His Rgr plus Report I
      am wrong... he is still sending Tx1 with a "non-standard msg" ... busted
      contact...

      I assume K5ME is "Portable" or "Using Grids as a Reports ... "This should
      not happen... If I assume it is part of msg tx2 them I move to tx3 ...
      bottom line is a busted contact.

      I believe the use of "Grid" in Tx1 serves no purpose. If the contact is a
      schedule the other station already knows your Grid. If a Random contact
      it doesn't matter since the station decoding already has a good enough
      antenna az direction to complete a qso and decode because he already
      has decoded both calls. Antenna az pointing is not that critical but that is
      another issue.

      The use of grids as a report does have a place in HSMS. I believe it has two
      good uses.

      Grids are used as reports in most contests and by rovers but notice they are
      not necessary in message Tx1 even for these situations. Not all rovers are
      using PJ and the Grid as a Report works great to let the other person know
      I am possibly in a new grid or am a new initial contact for them while
      providing
      that "Unknown" piece of information required for a "contact". In this case
      the
      standard reports 26 and 27 are not exchanged.

      During contests it is a required part of the contact exchange so using
      it as a "Rpt" serves both purposes. I have worked N5SIX rover in many grids
      and I captured all those grids in his "Report" or "CQ". Rovers may wish to
      use their grid
      in a CQ but it can cause confusion if repeated in Tx1.

      With six meters there might be less concern for message length but the
      SOP should be followed. For two meters the message length is more important.
      I have had busted contacts on two meters because I never got Both Calls but
      did get a single call with a "Grid"! Receiving A5UFH K5ME EM00 is
      frustrating after running 20 - 30 minutes into a schedule. I needed both
      calls
      and had the ping width large enough to get the missing "W" but instead I got
      a "Grid".

      The below is copied from the SOP:

      "REQUIREMENTS FOR A QSO:
      The same as for any mode of operation or propagation - an exchange of both
      call signs, an exchange of some type of information or report, and an
      exchange of confirmation of reception of the report or information."

      (Somewhere the ARRL has documented what constitutes a contact. I could
      not find that definition but the above is close to its wording.

      The "Some type of information" could be a wx report, single report, first
      name, State etc. but with HSMS using FSK441 it is 26 or 27. The exception is
      during a contest requiring grid square exchange or maybe a portable station
      not using
      PJ. Rovers or Portable stations using "PJ assist" generally use standard
      messages
      and share the Grid location on the logger.

      When using Grid as a report, only use the first (4) characters. I have
      copied
      some who sent (6)! Example: R EL19pa R EL19pa ... too much hi

      I believe we should reframe from using the Grid in Tx1 because it clearly
      is not needed or required and can only add confusion. I would be interested
      in seeing how others feel about this issue.

      We all have taken the liberty of using the 73 message or after the final
      Rogers are received by both stations to send short messages. TNX QSO
      or NICE PINGS etc.

      My thoughts on Tx1 msg's in a nut shell... Use only the Tx1 canned message
      for all situations.

      Tip
    • Al
      Message 2 of 18 , Aug 1, 2009
        Hi Tip and the MS gang:

        I do not see how a grid gets into TX1 except in JT65B. The options menu plainly states that the two message templates are for FSK441 and JT6M, and neither message template puts the grid in TX1. SO, anyone sending their grid in TX1 has entered it manually - either in the template area or by typing it into TX1. Not good.

        Like you said, the grid can be seen in TX2 or TX3 if the grid option is chosen. It does not belong in TX1.

        Consider this "mind set":
        I work a lot of EME.  JT65 A B C etc. has the grid in TX1. "Hmmm, I wonder why it isn't in TX1 on FSK441 or JT6M -- I'll just put it there -- if it is good for EME then it must be good for HSMS." NOT!

        Anyhow, I couldn't help but agree with you and throw in my two cents in. Use the canned messages only.

        73,
        Al
        WA4EWV

        Message 3 of 18 , Aug 1, 2009

          Hi Gang, I agree with both Tip and Al for the same reasons. The pings are short enough in most cases without cluttering it up with unnecessary data. The WSJT manual was well thought out and is effective whether using the grid or signal report format.  Use what is recommended in the manual and you can’t go wrong. My nickels worth.

          Jim W6OUU DN22sn

          Message 4 of 18 , Aug 1, 2009
            Having two different options for exchanges on FSK441 and JT6M is confusing.
            In reality, the standard report doesn't provide any useful signal report
            info, since most ops never send anything other than 26 (sort of like 5NN on
            CW). The only purpose it serves is to differentiate between TX2 and TX3.
            Personally, I'd like to see only grid reports used. Grids are unique and
            provide a real, unique report that is consistent with the way most 6M and up
            QSOs are reported. It also eliminates the confusion that I've seen in
            contests when one person is using the grid system and the other person is
            using the signal report system (usually an op who is not in the contest).
            I've had to reject good contacts during a contest because I couldn't get the
            other op to send his grid to me. Having only one reporting system that is
            consistent with other VHF/UHF operations makes a lot more sense to me. BTW,
            I think having the grid included with the CQ is useful. I've decoded
            signals from a good rock when I was pointed the wrong way. Knowing the grid
            allowed me to move the beam and increase the probability of completing the
            contact in a short time (I have long boom antennas on 6M and 2M with narrow
            beamwidths). This is good for everyone because more contacts can be made in
            the small frequency range that is used during the relatively short MS window
            each day.

            Am I the only one who thinks this is logical?

            73,
            Clay W7CE

            > Hi Gang, I agree with both Tip and Al for the same reasons. The pings
            > are short enough in most cases without cluttering it up with unnecessary
            > data. The WSJT manual was well thought out and is effective whether
            > using the grid or signal report format. Use what is recommended in the
            > manual and you can't go wrong. My nickels worth.
            >

            > Jim W6OUU DN22sn

          • Randy Tipton
            Message 5 of 18 , Aug 2, 2009
              Clay, both wsjt meteor modes default to 26 or 27. The use of "Grid" as a
              report is
              for contests & rover contacts where the station calling does not know the
              location
              of the rover station.

              I believe the 26 / 27 reports are very useful for high speed meteor scatter
              contacts.
              For two meters more so than six meters, the decoded pings could be in total
              time
              less than 2 - 3 seconds. The standard reports when sent as "single tones"
              have about
              a 3 dB advantage over the multitone 26 or 27. Thus you have a significant
              advantage
              over sending multitones. The two stations do not know what report they will
              receive
              prior to the contact attempt starting. In other words you don't say Joe you
              go first
              on 144.119 and we will use 26 as reports.

              The definition of a "contacts" is that some piece of information must be
              copied
              that is unknown before the "contact attempt" starts.

              In my mind here is the problem with using "Grids" as a report. Unless both
              stations are "rover" and the grids are unknown before the contact starts
              them
              the "unknown information" is not an element of the contact. Thus I believe
              the
              use of 26 or 27 is better suited for reports.

              What is the difference between 26 and 27. Some would say "one". However
              I do not know the answer to that question and for me I alternate the use of
              26 & 27 at will. The 26 / 27 is really not so much a "report" bur rather the
              "unknown" information exchanged to make a legal completion.

              That being said; I believe that contacts especially on two meters and above
              are hard enough and the use of the single tone messages enhances the
              chances of a contact.

              When I personally started operating meteor scatter, I was only making six
              meter contacts. By the way, very few hsms operators initially on six meters.
              That is why I went to two meters because of the lack of operators on six
              meters.
              After going to two meters I discovered how important it was to keep message
              lengths short as possible and use those single tones because they shorten
              contacts.
              On six meters this is not as critical, you generally get plenty of long
              burns, and
              fewer pings. The difference is like day and dark. That is why JT6M just does
              not work on two meters, ping width is too short.

              Yet another reason to use the standard reports is I can decode RRR , 26
              and 27 via my ears. If you're not tone deaf, you can actually decode weaker
              signals with the ears than wsjt decodes. So this is an advantage also being
              my ole ears can not decode the first grid square. hi

              Sorry for the rambling and hope this helps...

              Tip

              > Having two different options for exchanges on FSK441 and JT6M is
              > confusing.
              > In reality, the standard report doesn't provide any useful signal report
              > info, since most ops never send anything other than 26 (sort of like 5NN
              > on
              > CW). The only purpose it serves is to differentiate between TX2 and TX3.
              > Personally, I'd like to see only grid reports used. Grids are unique and
              > provide a real, unique report that is consistent with the way most 6M and
              > up
              > QSOs are reported. It also eliminates the confusion that I've seen in
              > contests when one person is using the grid system and the other person is
              > using the signal report system (usually an op who is not in the contest).
              > I've had to reject good contacts during a contest because I couldn't get
              > the
              > other op to send his grid to me. Having only one reporting system that is
              > consistent with other VHF/UHF operations makes a lot more sense to me.
              > BTW,
              > I think having the grid included with the CQ is useful. I've decoded
              > signals from a good rock when I was pointed the wrong way. Knowing the
              > grid
              > allowed me to move the beam and increase the probability of completing the
              > contact in a short time (I have long boom antennas on 6M and 2M with
              > narrow
              > beamwidths). This is good for everyone because more contacts can be made
              > in
              > the small frequency range that is used during the relatively short MS
              > window
              > each day.
              >
              > Am I the only one who thinks this is logical?
              >
              > 73,
              > Clay W7CE

            • Clay W7CE
              Message 6 of 18 , Aug 2, 2009
                While in theory, the report could be useful as an unknown piece of
                information, in practice I've only received a non-26 report a couple of
                times out of hundreds of MS contacts. If everyone sends 26 all the time,
                then the report is not an unknown piece of information. Very few WSJT users
                have ever take the time to understand what the report even means. Searching
                the Internet for the HSMS reporting standard, I found three different sets
                of info on the first three web sites that I visited. The only agreement was
                that the the first number is always in the range 2-5 and the second number
                is in the range 6-9. This means that in addition to 26 and 27, there have
                been occasions when I should have sent 37 or 49 or 59 depending on which the
                of the below tables you believe. Of course, that would confuse even the
                most experienced WSJT users who apparently believe that the only valid
                report is 26 or 27.

                The 3 different definitions of signal report that I found are (first number
                in the first column, 2nd number in the second column):

                2 : up to 0.5 sec. 6 : below S2 or below 5dB
                3 : 0.5 - 1 sec. 7 : from S2 to S3 or from 5 dB to 10 dB
                4 : 1 - 5 sec. 8 : from S4 to S5 or from 10 db to 15 dB
                5 : longer than 5 sec. 9 : above S5 or above 15 dB

                2 : up to 5 sec. 6 : up to S3
                3 : 5 - 15 sec. 7 : S4 - S5
                4 : 15 - 60 sec. 8 : S6 - S7
                5 : longer than 60 sec. 9 : S8 and stronger

                2 : up to 5 sec. 6 : up to S3
                3 : 5 - 20 sec. 7 : S4 - S5
                4 : 20 - 120 sec. 8 : S6 - S7
                5 : longer than 120 sec. 9 : S8 and stronger

                I think the middle table is the most common for Region 2, but I'm not
                absolutely sure.

                Your argument about usage of shorthands is a good one, although I try not to
                use them more often than absolutely necessary. I've observed too many
                occasions where I could decode two or more separate QSOs on the same
                frequency (usually the calling frequency). Shorthand messages make it
                impossible to be sure whose report you are receiving. In general, I think
                that shorthand transmissions should not be acceptable on the calling
                frequency. It's just too easy to receive a SH message from the wrong
                station.

                WSJT definitely makes HSMS contacts easier for most of us who don't copy
                40-60WPM CW. However, we have to be careful that we don't have a system in
                place where it is too easy to complete QSOs without an actual valid
                exchange. We see the same thing on HF DXpeditions where the CW ops only
                send their callsign once every 5-10 minutes and always give a 599 report.
                The only real exchange you get is hearing your callsign repeated back to
                you. It doesn't feel like a valid contact, although it ends up in the log.
                I still prefer using grids because if you get a full decode on the callsigns
                and grid square then you know you've had a valid contact. Decoding 26 from
                every station is about as satisfying as receiving a 599 from a CW op who
                still doesn't have your callsign correct.

                That said, I still use the report method most often, because I find many ops
                aren't familar with the grid reporting system and don't even know that WSJT
                supports it. I would like it if we could develop one reporting system that
                is acceptable to most and works for daily QSOs and contest QSOs. I usually
                work several WSJT contacts during each contest, but it's definitely not easy
                with the current dual-report system.

                73,
                Clay W7CE

> [...]
                > After going to two meters I discovered how important it was to keep
                > message
                > lengths short as possible and use those single tones because they shorten
                > contacts.
                > On six meters this is not as critical, you generally get plenty of long
                > burns, and
                > fewer pings. The difference is like day and dark. That is why JT6M just
                > does
                > not work on two meters, ping width is too short.
                >
                > Yet another reason to use the standard reports is I can decode RRR , 26
                > and 27 via my ears. If you're not tone deaf, you can actually decode
                > weaker
                > signals with the ears than wsjt decodes. So this is an advantage also
                > being
                > my ole ears can not decode the first grid square. hi
                >
                > Sorry for the rambling and hope this helps...

              • Randy Tipton
                Message 7 of 18 , Aug 2, 2009
                  Clay, interesting data you have shared. I believe if WSJT had been the first
                  HSMS program developed we probably wouldn't be having this conversation. The
                  three different definitions of signal reports you found are over a period of
                  time prior to WSJT. You are probably right that most operators today are
                  unfamiliar with that concept of reporting. It is interesting to to look back
                  to see how the report was once figured. If WSJT had been the first HSMS
                  program the reports would have probably been 26 or 27 period. With HSCW
                  there were no Short Hand Messages (single tones) to my knowledge. I only
                  used HSCW about 6 months then WSJT was introduced, difference between night
                  and day. (Thanks to Joe!) Because of WSJT many new operators joined the
                  ranks, not so much because they didn't know code, because you could slow it
                  down to whatever speed you wanted after receiving a ping, but because the
                  new WSJT decoded pings "in print" and the user screens was simple compared
                  to the older programs. Also the older HSCW program was not updated and
                  didn't work on latter versions of windows. The program also was not free, if
                  I remember seems like it cost about fifty dollars. (sorry getting off topic)

                  Actually with WSJT in the column under "Rpt" it calculates a recommended
                  report for the user to send. It often times is something besides the
                  traditional 26 or 27. I forget how Joe figured that variable but I believe
                  it is published somewhere. I have no problem receiving "Grids" as a report.
                  In fact that was my initial statement that having the Grid as part of Tx1
                  had fooled me several times because I though it was the report being sent to
                  me. If someone used 26 in msg # 1 that would cause me confusion just like
                  using the "Grid" in message #1.

                  I copied the below our of the WSJT Users Guide & Reference Manual. In the
                  manual it mentions the use of Appended messages on frequencies where
                  activity levels are high. I believe that statement would have been better
                  written "on any shared frequency short hand messages should be avoided".
                  That would certainly include the calling frequencies. I agree with you that
                  "only appended messages" should be used on the calling frequency. I realize
                  that I am probably alone on this but in my opinion the call frequency should
                  be for calling only with the exception of activity periods like random hour.
                  In fact at the top of the PJ page we all see the statement "Remember, in
                  North America, 50.260MHz and 144.140MHz are calling not operating
                  frequencies".

                  Snip:
                  FSK441 also provides a special shorthand format to transmit a few simple
                  messages in a highly efficient way. Check Sh Msg to enable shorthand
                  messages. The supported shorthands are R26, R27, RRR, and 73, and FSK441
                  sends pure tones at 882, 1323, 1764, or 2205 Hz to convey these messages. If
                  activity levels are high enough that there could be some doubt about who has
                  transmitted a shorthand message, it is better to use normal messages tagged
                  with callsigns or portions thereof.

                  A typical minimal QSO in FSK441 or JT6M modes might look something like the
                  following:
                  1. CQ K1JT
                  2. K1JT W8WN
                  3. W8WN K1JT 27
                  4. JT R26
                  5. WN RRR
                  6. 73 W8WN

                  Clay thanks for all your input, at 1872 miles we will never work via meteor
                  scatter but if we could, I would be ready to accept "Grids" as reports. Hi

                  Tip
                  WA5UFH

> [...]
                  > The only real exchange you get is hearing your callsign repeated back to
                  > you. It doesn't feel like a valid contact, although it ends up in the
                  > log. I still prefer using grids because if you get a full decode on the
                  > callsigns and grid square then you know you've had a valid contact.
                  > Decoding 26 from every station is about as satisfying as receiving a 599
                  > from a CW op who still doesn't have your callsign correct.
                  >
                  > That said, I still use the report method most often, because I find many
                  > ops aren't familar with the grid reporting system and don't even know that
                  > WSJT supports it. I would like it if we could develop one reporting
                  > system that is acceptable to most and works for daily QSOs and contest
                  > QSOs. I usually work several WSJT contacts during each contest, but it's
                  > definitely not easy with the current dual-report system.

                • Dave Miller
                  Message 8 of 18 , Aug 2, 2009
                    Tip,

                    r u keeping score on this one. I have absolutely no problem with grids in a CQ, in fact I prefer them for proper beam positioning. I don't send grids in TX1 cause they are not part of the SOP template and might cause confusion at this point. But what is the consensus here concerning the report, grid report or signal report or both?

                    Dave N9SS
                  • Randy Tipton
                    Message 9 of 18 , Aug 3, 2009
                      Dave, no score keeping ... It will always be an option I suppose that the
                      user has. In set-up /options most will probably stick with the "reports"
                      because it is the default when the program is first loaded and what the
                      majority are using.

                      I accept "Grids" as the unknown piece of information for the contact.

                      If I am running a sked that will be "new / special to me" I will want to use
                      the single tone short hand messages. The Grid as report might be the cause
                      of a busted contact? We have all noticed that when we get to the single tone
                      messages the contact progresses faster. i.e. more pings are heard.

                      My concern was using what is an "option for reports" in Tx 1 message Grids.
                      I have no problem with the Grid in the CQ especially for rovers / portable
                      stations without PJ assistance. But if I was calling CQ on two meters I
                      personally would not use it because of the added text length that must be
                      decoded. CQ D7 WA5UFH EL19 vs. CQ D7 WA5UFH

                      So no score card Dave, but I do hope those using the Grid in Tx1 give it
                      some consideration. Thanks for your comments.

                      Tip

                      > r u keeping score on this one. I have absolutely no problem with grids in
                      > a CQ, in fact I prefer them for proper beam positioning. I don't send
                      > grids in TX1 cause they are not part of the SOP template and might cause
                      > confusion at this point. But what is the consensus here concerning the
                      > report, grid report or signal report or both?
                      >
                      > Dave N9SS

                      > WSJTGroup HomePage http://www.ykc.com/wa5ufh/
                      >

                      > Yahoo! Groups Links

                    • Russ K2TXB
                      Message 10 of 18 , Aug 8, 2009
                        Hi Randy. I agree with you 100%. Grid square should never be included in the TX1 message.  And I think the main reasons people do it are either that they are copying someone else who does it, or that they are trying to 'shorten' the QSO by sending the report along with the calls.  But the accepted format for making a contact in this country is to only send the report when you have successfully copied both his call and your call.  Thus sending the report prior to the reception of calls is totally confusing to those who try to abide by the rules.  The rules are simple:

                        1. Prior to receiving both calls, only send both calls (or CQ plus your call). *
                        2. After receiving both calls (but not a report) only send both calls plus report.
                        3. After receiving both calls and the report, send only RRR.
                        4. When both stations receive RRR, the contact is complete.

                        The exchange of 73 facilitates making sure that the RRR has been received by both.  If you receive 73 then it is clear that the other station has received your rogers.  That makes it easier to know when it is ok to quit.  But it is in no way necessary to send or receive 73 for it to be a good contact.  If you receive a QSL card from the other station then that is your confirmation that he received your RRR.  Of course there are numerous other ways to find out if the RRR's were received, and all of them are legal and above board.  Some of those methods are via chat page, by cluster, by email, by telephone, etc.  But you should never check those channels until you have received RRR yourself.  Why not?  Because if you check the chat page when you have not received RRR, and you see that your partner is saying he received the RRR, then you have received part of the necessary QSO information via a means that is not part of the legal QSO requirements.  At that point it is a busted contact and must be done over.

                        Therefore it is wise to never look at the chat page until your QSO is complete, or you have given up...

                        * For random contacts it is acceptable to send your grid with the CQ, but in that case the grid square must NEVER be used as the report.

                        73, Russ K2TXB

                        Message 11 of 18 , Aug 8, 2009
                          > 1. Prior to receiving both calls, only send both calls (or CQ plus your
                          > call). *
                          >
                          > * For random contacts it is acceptable to send your grid with the CQ, but
                          > in
                          > that case the grid square must NEVER be used as the report.
                          >
                          > 73, Russ K2TXB

                          Your explanation of how things should work implies that the grid reporting
                          option (necessary for contest Q's) can never be used if you sent your grid
                          with the CQ. In grid reporting, you report your grid in either TX2 or TX3
                          as part of the normal sequence. In either reporting system there is nothing
                          wrong with sending your grid along with the CQ. The redundancy of sending
                          it with the CQ and then later with TX2 does not invalidate the contact or
                          make it confusing.

                          Likewise, if you're in the normal reporting system, then sending your grid
                          along with TX1 has no impact on the remainder of the exchange. It's simply
                          an extra piece of unrequired info. No different then sending "73 Tnx" for
                          TX5. It may require longer pings for a good decode, but that should be left
                          up to the operators and the conditions to determine. I don't see any need
                          for a hard and fast rule here. I suppose some might be confused by this (is
                          it TX1 normal report, or TX2 grid report?). However, if someone answers my
                          "CQ W7CE CN87" with "W7CE K7*** DN13" this is no room for confusion. The
                          only valid possibility is that they are sending TX1, since TX2 can only be
                          sent after both calls have been copied.

                          73,
                          Clay W7CE
                        • nz3m_dave
                          Message 12 of 18 , Aug 8, 2009
                            Only one received RRR makes a complete QSO. If you are sending RRR and the other station reports on the chat that he received it, it's a QSO. I' don't know what you are trying to say here.

                            Dave NZ3M

                            --- In wsjtgroup@yahoogroups.com, "Russ K2TXB" <k2txb@...> wrote:
                            But you should never check those channels until you have
                            received RRR yourself. Why not? Because if you check the chat page when you have not received RRR, and you see that your partner is saying he received the RRR, then you have received part of the necessary QSO information via a means that is not part of the legal QSO requirements. At that point it is a busted contact and must be done over.

                            Therefore it is wise to never look at the chat page until your QSO is
                            complete, or you have given up...

                            > 73, Russ K2TXB

                          • Russ K2TXB
                            Message 13 of 18 , Aug 8, 2009
                              Clay said:

                              Your explanation of how things should work implies that the grid reporting
                              option (necessary for contest Q's) can never be used if you sent your grid
                              with the CQ. In grid reporting, you report your grid in either TX2 or TX3
                              as part of the normal sequence. In either reporting system there is nothing
                              wrong with sending your grid along with the CQ. The redundancy of sending
                              it with the CQ and then later with TX2 does not invalidate the contact or
                              make it confusing.
                              It can.  The other station already knows your report before he ever receives it from you, if he copied it with your CQ. This means that if he only copies part of the grid, he might consider he has it and skip directly to RRR.  Of course you are right if you assume that everyone will patiently wait until they have recevied the grid again, but how many contesters have that patience in the heat of the contest.  I never send my grid with CQ in a contest.  Not necessary since it is the report too.

                              I think that too many operators are sliding down the slippery slope of taking shortcuts with the procedure for contacts.  Just look at HF DXing!  I would bet that 60% of contacts made are not valid due to the loose procedures used.  (If you do not understand what I mean, I will provide examples...)  I'd hate to see VHF operators start doing the same things.  Strict adherence to the rules is the best answer.

                              73, Russ K2TXB

                              Message 14 of 18 , Aug 8, 2009
                                Dave said:

                                Only one received RRR makes a complete QSO. If you are sending RRR and the other station reports on the chat that he received it, it's a QSO. I' don't know what you are trying to say here.

                                That is not right.  The rules clearly state that BOTH stations must receive rogers in order for the contact to be valid.  If you receive RRR and have not yet sent them, the contact is not complete and does not count.  Further if you receive RRR and send your own RRR, but the other station never copies it, the contact is likewise void.

                                I once almost completed a meteor scatter contact with a station in Colorado, a distance of over 1900 miles from my FM29 location.  It would have been a world record 2 meter MS contact, and would probably have stood for many many years.  But I never received his RRR.  Everything else was complete, we had both calls each way, full reports, and he got my RRR.  I can assure you that it was very tempting to claim it as a complete QSO - especially as I had been trying to make that path for many years.  But it never happened and most likely never will (for me).  That is the nature of meteor scatter - you can not make all the contacts, and if you want to be proud of the contacts you have made it is essential that, in your own heart, you know that every claimed QSO was done with strict adherence to the rules and that no one can legitimately question your accomplishment.

                                73, Russ K2TXB

                                Only one received RRR makes a complete QSO. If you are sending RRR and the other station reports on the chat that he received it, it's a QSO. I' don't know what you are trying to say here.

                                Dave NZ3M

                                --- In wsjtgroup@yahoogrou ps.com, "Russ K2TXB" <k2txb@...> wrote:
                                But you should never check those channels until you have
                                received RRR yourself. Why not? Because if you check the chat page when you have not received RRR, and you see that your partner is saying he received the RRR, then you have received part of the necessary QSO information via a means that is not part of the legal QSO requirements. At that point it is a busted contact and must be done over.

                                Therefore it is wise to never look at the chat page until your QSO is
                                complete, or you have given up...

                                > 73, Russ K2TXB

                              • nz3m_dave
                                Message 15 of 18 , Aug 8, 2009
                                  Russ,

                                  TX3 is the first "roger" (R26). Both stations don't need to receive RRR or TX4

                                  73

                                • Bill W5WVO
                                  Message 16 of 18 , Aug 8, 2009
                                    Reading through this thread, this is clearly the misunderstanding that Russ has. Both stations do not need to (nor should they) send every message. The messages alternate. Only one station sends R26 (which contains that station's "roger"). Then the other station sends RRR. And that's it. It's a QSO.

                                    If you press the F5 key in WSJT, you will see Joe Taylor's very clear explanation of who sends what when.

                                    Bill W5WVO

                                    TX3 is the first "roger" (R26). Both stations don't need to receive RRR or TX4

                                    73
                                    Dave NZ3M

                                    --- In wsjtgroup@yahoogrou ps.com, "Russ K2TXB" <k2txb@...> wrote:

                                    > Dave said:
                                    >
                                    > Only one received RRR makes a complete QSO. If you are sending RRR and the
                                    > other station reports on the chat that he received it, it's a QSO. I' don't
                                    > know what you are trying to say here.
                                    >
                                    > That is not right. The rules clearly state that BOTH stations must receive
                                    > rogers in order for the contact to be valid. If you receive RRR and have
                                    > not yet sent them, the contact is not complete and does not count. Further
                                    > if you receive RRR and send your own RRR, but the other station never copies
                                    > it, the contact is likewise void.
                                    >
                                    > I once almost completed a meteor scatter contact with a station in Colorado,
                                    > a distance of over 1900 miles from my FM29 location. It would have been a
                                    > world record 2 meter MS contact, and would probably have stood for many many
                                    > years. But I never received his RRR. Everything else was complete, we had
                                    > both calls each way, full reports, and he got my RRR. I can assure you that
                                    > it was very tempting to claim it as a complete QSO - especially as I had
                                    > been trying to make that path for many years. But it never happened and
                                    > most likely never will (for me). That is the nature of meteor scatter - you
                                    > can not make all the contacts, and if you want to be proud of the contacts
                                    > you have made it is essential that, in your own heart, you know that every
                                    > claimed QSO was done with strict adherence to the rules and that no one can
                                    > legitimately question your accomplishment.
                                    >
                                    > 73, Russ K2TXB
                                    >

                                    > _____

                                  • Russ K2TXB
                                    Message 17 of 18 , Aug 8, 2009
                                      Bill wrote:

                                      Reading through this thread, this is clearly the misunderstanding that Russ has. Both stations do not need to (nor should they) send every message. The messages alternate. Only one station sends R26 (which contains that station's "roger"). Then the other station sends RRR. And that's it. It's a QSO.

                                      Oh Boy!  Sorry Bill and others.  I forget that I have not been too active here, and on the air, since my move in 2007.  So I could not rightfully expect you to know of my history or accomplishments.  As one who started trying HSMS in the 1970's, using slowed down and speeded up tape recorders to send and receive CW at a couple of hundred WPM, and was very active in with the first HSMS computer programs, and who worked his way through all of the various renditions of FSK441, once it became available, I can assure you that I know exactly what the procedures are, what the rules are, and how to use them to best advantage.

                                      That said, I can see nothing in my previous comments to lead anyone to think that I think that every message has to be used by both stations.  Believe me, I know very well that is untrue.  Perhaps your misunderstanding arises from my use of RRR to represent sending of rogers.  OF COURSE sending R26 also sends rogers.  R26 means, exactly, RRR (got your report{and calls}), and your report is 26.  So, of course, when you receive R26 you are receiving the RRR signal!!!!!

                                      However one person I replied to said that it was good enough that only one side of the QSO received RRR.  That is completely untrue.

                                      Regards, Russ K2TXB   (FM29PT - WAS, WAC, 44 DXCC, 419 Grids, 597 MS contacts - all on 2 meters - now moved to FN20MB).

                                      Reading through this thread, this is clearly the misunderstanding that Russ has. Both stations do not need to (nor should they) send every message. The messages alternate. Only one station sends R26 (which contains that station's "roger"). Then the other station sends RRR. And that's it. It's a QSO.

                                      If you press the F5 key in WSJT, you will see Joe Taylor's very clear explanation of who sends what when.

                                      Bill W5WVO

                                      TX3 is the first "roger" (R26). Both stations don't need to receive RRR or TX4

                                      73
                                      Dave NZ3M

                                      --- In wsjtgroup@yahoogrou ps.com, "Russ K2TXB" <k2txb@...> wrote:

                                      > Dave said:
                                      >
                                      > Only one received RRR makes a complete QSO. If you are sending RRR and the
                                      > other station reports on the chat that he received it, it's a QSO. I' don't
                                      > know what you are trying to say here.
                                      >
                                      > That is not right. The rules clearly state that BOTH stations must receive
                                      > rogers in order for the contact to be valid. If you receive RRR and have
                                      > not yet sent them, the contact is not complete and does not count. Further
                                      > if you receive RRR and send your own RRR, but the other station never copies
                                      > it, the contact is likewise void.
                                      >
                                      > I once almost completed a meteor scatter contact with a station in Colorado,
                                      > a distance of over 1900 miles from my FM29 location. It would have been a
                                      > world record 2 meter MS contact, and would probably have stood for many many
                                      > years. But I never received his RRR. Everything else was complete, we had
                                      > both calls each way, full reports, and he got my RRR. I can assure you that
                                      > it was very tempting to claim it as a complete QSO - especially as I had
                                      > been trying to make that path for many years. But it never happened and
                                      > most likely never will (for me). That is the nature of meteor scatter - you
                                      > can not make all the contacts, and if you want to be proud of the contacts
                                      > you have made it is essential that, in your own heart, you know that every
                                      > claimed QSO was done with strict adherence to the rules and that no one can
                                      > legitimately question your accomplishment.
                                      >
                                      > 73, Russ K2TXB
                                      >

                                      > _____

                                    • Randy Tipton
                                      Message 18 of 18 , Aug 8, 2009
                                        When there is any douby it is best to refer back to the SOP. The SOP has
                                        been around
                                        a long time for Meteor Scatter operators. I feel we should all adhere not
                                        only to the SOP
                                        but also the operating suggestions given at the top of the PJ page. These
                                        page instructions
                                        are actually well thought out and enhance the pj process for all of us. (The
                                        PJ operating
                                        instructions was not part of this thed so just a side thought)

                                        One thing I believe should be changed is the Link found at the top of
                                        PJ page to the SOP. Contacts today are using FSK or JT6M modes and the link
                                        should be
                                        changed to ... http://www.qsl.net/w8wn/hscw/papers/fsk-sop.html If others
                                        agree, maybe Chris can make that change.

                                        Several years ago we simplified the SOP and several stations in the group
                                        assisted ...
                                        it is posted here... http://www.ykc.com/wa5ufh/Misc/ShortSOP.htm The intent
                                        was not to
                                        change a single element but to simplify it for newbie's.

                                        When you read the SOP there are a few exceptions for changing messages. They
                                        are related to message Tx2 and CQ. This relates to some of the discussion on
                                        going.

                                        Clearly the Grid in the CQ is for portable / MM stations.
                                        The Grid square is to be used as reports in contests.
                                        Tx2 Msg may be changed to shorten the msg length for low power stations.
                                        Both stations receive the "Roger" and it is suggested 'to be sure' by
                                        receiving it twice!

                                        The SOP recommendation for Low Power Stations copied...
                                        "Note on WSJT's FSK441 North American reporting: The #2 Standard Text Box
                                        defaults to "Firstcall report Secondcall report report" (e.g., K1JT 26 W8WN
                                        2626). The reason for this format is to allow monitoring stations to tell
                                        which station they're hearing. Since the pair of calls is the longest string
                                        of text to exchange, lower-power stations may find it advantageous to change
                                        this to "Firstcall report Secondcall report" or even "Firstcall Secondcall
                                        report."

                                        This change is definitely recommended for contests when the Grid Square is
                                        required for the report."

                                        (Note: I take advantage of the above, it has been helpful I believe
                                        especially on two meters.)

                                        Copied from the SOP:
                                        "Other sometimes-used exchanges:
                                        Burst length "S" report. Standard in North America since the 1950's for slow
                                        CW and later for SSB.
                                        Grid square. Required for most contests. Sometimes used by portable or /MM
                                        stations; however, on FSK441, it is becomming common for the portable or /MM
                                        station to include their current grid in the CQ . The grid square normally
                                        should not be used on HSMS for the report except for contests."

                                        Concerning sending the Grid in a CQ the SOP States...
                                        "CQ with GRID SQUARE - It is now common for /MM, /M, and portable stations
                                        (who may change locations) to include their Grid Square in the CQ. This
                                        enables the receiving stations to know the location of the portable/mobile
                                        station, and whether or not they need that particular grid square. Thus,
                                        W1LP/MM might call "CQ W1LP EL62". This is not recommended for fixed
                                        stations - it adds unnecessary information to the CQ, as the locations of
                                        most fixed stations are usually already known."

                                        Concerning the receipt of two "Rogers"
                                        Copied from the SOP:
                                        "When both get a pair of Rogers (you usually need at least two to be
                                        sure!), the QSO is officially complete. However, the other station will not
                                        know this. So it is customary to then send "73" to let the other station
                                        know that it's complete, even though the "73" is not required for a complete
                                        QSO."

                                        The Required Protocol is:
                                        REQUIREMENTS FOR A QSO:
                                        The same as for any mode of operation or propagation - an exchange of both
                                        call signs, an exchange of some type of information or report, and an
                                        exchange of confirmation of the same.
                                        When a station copies both calls, he sends calls and report.
                                        If he gets both calls and a report, he sends his report & Roger.
                                        If he gets report and Roger, he sends Rogers.