Re: [wsjtgroup] Rust on mast-mounted SP2000 preamp, how?

  • Jerry Siegmund
    Message 1 of 2 , Jul 31, 2009
      Interesting Bill.. I was planning on using the MHP-145 with my 4x2M12's.. maybe have to give it a coat of 'Auto Clear Coat' .. or just 'smooze it with lots of Silicon..
      Nice to avoid 'Future Prob's.. Tnx for sharing..
      Jerry VE6CPP
      DN39or

      Bill Dzurilla wrote:

      More pre-amp issues here at my shack. I was away for 6 weeks and last night turned on my 2 meter rig for the first time since I got back. Noticed from the low noise level that my 1 1/2 year old mast-mounted SP2000 preamp was not working. Went to the mast, took off the plastic cover, and noticed substantial rust on the preamp's metal casing. There do not appear to be any cracks or holes in the plastic case. My old SP2, which was on the same mast in the exact same spot for years, still looks brand new on the inside.

      I called Gerry at SSB and he said he had never heard of anyone getting rust on the preamp, except in a couple of cases where the preamp was installed upside down. Neither he nor I can think of any reason how the inside could have rusted.

      Has anyone encountered a similar problem?

      Thanks for any info and 73,
      Bill NZ5N