Re: [wsjtgroup] GPS timing?

  • Bob Poortinga
    Message 1 of 4 , Jul 23, 2009
      > I received the following answer about GPS timing. If you're wanting to use a
      > GPS to control you PC's clock for WSJT you need to ensure software takes
      > this into account -- and I hope the OP sees this.

      While it is true that the GPS time standard clock differs from UTC by 15
      seconds, all modern GPS receivers report UTC time in the $GPGGA, $GPRMC
      and $GPGLL sentences because UTC is required by the NMEA standard. There
      is no need to adjust the time in software. It is done in the GPS receiver.

      Please exercise caution if you download the free GPStime software. It doesn't
      verify that the GPS has a valid fix before accepting the time from the GPS.
      It set my PC clock to sometime in 2014 the first (and last) time I used it.

      As as far PC time if you are connected to the internet, XP and Vista do
      not have to install anything as long as the Windows Time Service is running
      (the default). If you do install D4 (or I recommend Automachron), please
      do NOT use a Stratum 1 NTP server such as 'tick.usno.navy.mil'. In the US,
      please use '0.us.pool.ntp.org' or '1.us.pool.ntp.org', this will keep the
      load off the stratum 1 servers who are having to pay high bandwidth costs
      to keep up with demand by PC users who should be using a stratum 2 or 3
      server instead.

      --
      Bob Poortinga K9SQL <http://www.linkedin.com/in/bobpoortinga>
      Bloomington, Indiana US