Fw: [wsjtgroup] GPS timing?

  • Earl Needham
    Message 1 of 4 , Jul 20, 2009
      I received the following answer about GPS timing. If you're wanting to use a GPS to control you PC's clock for WSJT you need to ensure software takes this into account -- and I hope the OP sees this.

      7 3
      Earl
      KD5XB

      KD5XB -- Earl Needham
      http://groups.yahoo.com/group/cw_bugs
      Quoting from the Coast Guard: ZUT
      Posted via Blackberry

      From: "R. Snyder"
      Date: Mon, 20 Jul 2009 15:59:04 -0700 (PDT)
      To: <earl.kd5xb@...>
      Subject: Re: [wsjtgroup] GPS timing?

      Earl,
      Feel free to let the list know.  The following link helps put various time standards in perspective:
      73,
      Ross N0GSZ

      From: "R. Snyder"
      Date: Mon, 20 Jul 2009 15:39:47 -0700 (PDT)
      To: <earl.kd5xb@...>
      Currently the difference between GPS time and UTC is 15 seconds.
      73,
      Ross N0GSZ

      Message 2 of 4 , Jul 22, 2009

        Hello gang

        I notice that there is missing on the “band” menu the 70MHZ band.

        Please put this upgrade on the next version upgrade. I miss it mostly when I use the WSJT LOG upgrade my log program

        Pedro – CT1EKD

      • Bob Poortinga
        Message 3 of 4 , Jul 23, 2009
          > I received the following answer about GPS timing. If you're wanting to use a
          > GPS to control you PC's clock for WSJT you need to ensure software takes
          > this into account -- and I hope the OP sees this.

          While it is true that the GPS time standard clock differs from UTC by 15
          seconds, all modern GPS receivers report UTC time in the $GPGGA, $GPRMC
          and $GPGLL sentences because UTC is required by the NMEA standard. There
          is no need to adjust the time in software. It is done in the GPS receiver.

          Please exercise caution if you download the free GPStime software. It doesn't
          verify that the GPS has a valid fix before accepting the time from the GPS.
          It set my PC clock to sometime in 2014 the first (and last) time I used it.

          As as far PC time if you are connected to the internet, XP and Vista do
          not have to install anything as long as the Windows Time Service is running
          (the default). If you do install D4 (or I recommend Automachron), please
          do NOT use a Stratum 1 NTP server such as 'tick.usno.navy.mil'. In the US,
          please use '0.us.pool.ntp.org' or '1.us.pool.ntp.org', this will keep the
          load off the stratum 1 servers who are having to pay high bandwidth costs
          to keep up with demand by PC users who should be using a stratum 2 or 3
          server instead.

          --
          Bob Poortinga K9SQL <http://www.linkedin.com/in/bobpoortinga>
          Bloomington, Indiana US