6 meter interference

  • wa1vta01452
    Message 1 of 6 , Jun 15, 2009
      Hi,

      I would like to operate 6 meters, particularly JT6M but I have some sort of interference. Seems to be broadband, in that it covers typically from 50.1 to 50.3 mhz. A sort of buzzing sound that moves around a bit, like a spurious. Sound is similar to ignition noise, but the noise blanker will not touch it. I suspect some sort of FM broadcast spur. Anyone come across this before? Has anyone found a solution?

      Tom
      W2TSL
    • GeorgeF.
      Message 2 of 6 , Jun 15, 2009
        Tom,
        Check to see that all your TV's in the house are turned off, then see if
        you still have the interference. I have a 54" RCA TV which creates alot of
        noise on 6mtrs and sounds like an FM Spur.

        If that doesn't work next check all your computer monitors. I had a few of
        the "tube" type computer monitors which would create a buzzing sound.

        Good luck,
        George - KI4FIA
        http://www.MilAirComms.com/shack.html

        At 03:06 PM 6/15/2009 +0000, you wrote:
        >Hi,
        >
        >I would like to operate 6 meters, particularly JT6M but I have some sort
        >of interference. Seems to be broadband, in that it covers typically from
        >50.1 to 50.3 mhz. A sort of buzzing sound that moves around a bit, like a
        >spurious. Sound is similar to ignition noise, but the noise blanker will
        >not touch it. I suspect some sort of FM broadcast spur. Anyone come across
        >this before? Has anyone found a solution?
        >
        >Tom
        >W2TSL

        >WSJTGroup HomePage http://www.ykc.com/wa5ufh/
        >

        >Yahoo! Groups Links

      • Al
        Message 3 of 6 , Jun 15, 2009
          Hello Tom:
          Another source besides what KI4FIA mentioned is your doorbell transformer or your home intercom transformer. They have an overheat "relay" inside them and if the temperature is right on the edge of "too hot" or "not too hot" it will vibrate like a buzzer.
          It could even be your next door neighbor's transformer. Have you tried to listen around with a "boom-box" on AM? They are pretty good direction finders - not to mention your 6 meter beam.
          Good Luck es 73,
          Al
          WA4EWV

        • dougwe@comcast.net
          Message 4 of 6 , Jun 15, 2009
            I also discovered during this weekend's VHF contest that my Gateway laptop battery charger generates a similar noise on 6m.

            Good luck!

             Doug
            K7IP