RE: [wsjtgroup] Question about JT6M

  • Barry Garratt
    Message 1 of 6 , May 10 8:33 PM
      Bill, as usual, has done a superb job explaining various propagation modes Mark. And, you will experience most of them at one time or another on 6 meters. I say most because unless you are using a ground mounted vertical you will not experience ground wave propagation. And if you do then chances are pretty good the other station will also be using a ground mounted vertical or else you are very close to each other. A few miles at most. Ground wave propagation is vertically polarized and is a very low to medium wavelength mode. Typically you will find it from 30 kHz to roughly 30 MHz although at the high end it isn't very efficient because of the higher inherent loss in the earths surface.

      The Navy uses it for example to communicate with submarines in the 100 kHz range and your local AM broadcaster uses it as well. Of course there is a sky wave component from a vertical that comes into play but that relies on reflection from the various different layers. That's a whole different topic.

      Like Bill I live too far south to get any Au but knowing what that does to a SSB signal I have to agree that any of the WSJT modes will probably not work.

      Barry VE3CDX/W7