Re: [wsjtgroup] Picking a Bone With Gene

  • Paul Whatton
    Message 1 of 24 , May 4, 2009
      Strange as it may seem, in the UK the adoption of litres for buying
      petrol and milk, or kg for buying groceries has become a normal part of
      daily life. Just as my dual-national, bilingual children swap between
      their European languages, us oldies swap between metric & imperial
      without thinking about it. We do have some real curiosities, for example
      buying 4" x 2" timber in metre lengths :-) And if yu go to buy aluminium
      rod to build that new antenna you can't be sure until you measure it if
      it's been drawn in imperial or metric, something that's caught me out a
      few times. But as Dave G0DJA pointed out we have clung onto the really
      important things like buying beer in the pub (but not the supermarket)
      in pints and driving in miles per hour :-) I don't think anyone feels
      less British because of metric. It's the swamping of British culture by
      Hollywood cinema & US TV that does that for us :-) (Retires under the
      table).

      73 Paul G4DCV

      Message 2 of 24 , May 4, 2009
        PS I meant to ask. Are you guys going to start asking for MS skeds on
        the 6 foot 6 and 7 tenths band? :-)

        Happy days

        73 Paul G4DCV
      • Joe - WDØM
        Message 3 of 24 , May 4, 2009
          I always thought that mediocrity was a result of not trying harder to understand new things and improve yourself.....

          "See y'all on the "
          6 foot 6 and 7 tenths band"  (Thanks Paul!)

          73,

          Joe
          WDØM
          Texan by accident of birth
          Message 4 of 24 , May 4, 2009
            Hi Joe

            I couldn't be bothered to work out what 50MHz was- 19 feet something :-)

            While I'm at it can I just mention another thing on this topic that gets
            right up my nose. :-) Why oh why do M2 not give metric dimensions as
            well as inches in their instructions? I've bought three of their
            (excellent) antennas for 2m, a pair of 5W 17s for the contest group and
            a 9 ele which I use here at home. I sometimes have to assemble the 17
            eles in the dark, when it's cold and blowing a gale and when I'd really,
            really rather be tucked up in the warm pub (pub = bar) down the road.

            To centre just one element taking into account the variable boom
            diameter just isn't any fun at all using inches and fractions of them.
            And I have 34 of the damn things to do! On VHF National Field Day we run
            two arrays of 5W 17 eles which we assemble in a farmer's field and so
            that's 68 elements!!! Arghhhh! Millimetres would be so much easier...
            Trust me, it would. At least in the UK we have tape measures that have
            inches on them as well as metric.

            My poor friends inthe rest of Europe who have never seen an inch, let
            alone know what 6 of them look like, are stuffed!

            Why do M2 do this to us? Surely not arrogance or a one finger salute to
            their customers in Europe? Great yagis, bloody awful parochial instructions!

            Metric rules KO!

            73 Paul G4DCV

            Message 5 of 24 , May 4, 2009
              Metrics are just to much easier to work with....no trying to figure out feet and inches.....when I lived in Germany, or traveled through Europe or Asia, it was so easy.  I'm ambi-dimensional, I suppose....I can get by with either - but metric measurement is just so logical...as highlighted when NASA used Imperial units of measurement instead of metrics, causing the Mars Climate Orbiter to miss its mark and destroy the spacecraft.

              Next time I'm in Europe, I'll pick up the tab for a pint and a plowmans at your favorite pub...until then, kilometers for measuring distance in WSJT sounds fine to me.

              Cheers,

              Joe
              WDØM

              Joe - WDØM wrote:

              > I always thought that mediocrity was a result of not trying harder to
              > understand new things and improve yourself.... .
              >
              > "See y'all on the "6 foot 6 and 7 tenths band" (Thanks Paul!)
              >
              > 73,
              >
              > Joe
              > WDØM
              > Texan by accident of birth
              >> Mike(W5UC) & Kathy(K5MWH) wrote:
              >>> " Maybe so, maybe no. The reason we as a nation continue to drift
              >>> toward mediocrity is that we no longer stand up and say "I don't
              >>> like that", and others impose their will on us and move on."
              >>> Mike, W5UC
              >>> "American by birth. Texan by the grace of God*

            • Russ K2TXB
              Message 6 of 24 , May 4, 2009
                Well Mike, if you don't think the US has converted to metric then you must never have to work on any cars, tractors, lawn mowers, wheelbarrows, etc with hand tools.  These days it is not only necessary to have a full set of wrenches and sockets in both US and metric sizes; you also have to maintain a stock of metric sized nuts, bolts, and washers.  Also metric size taps and dies.  And this is just for a hobbyist.  I imagine that any auto shop would tell of an even greater requirement.

                Also I see a lot of road signs, these days that show distances in KM.  Medical tubing is measured in centimeters as are a lot of other medical and scientific supplies and tools.

                While I like the old 1/4, 3/8. 7/16, 1/2, 5/8, 9/16, 3/4. 7/8 inch wrenches, it is time to realize that it would be better if the whole world was on the same standard.  Of course places that sell tools are making out with the current dual system as they get to sell twice as much stuff.

                73, Russ K2TXB