Re: [wsjtgroup] Picking a Bone With Gene

  • Joe - WDØM
    Message 1 of 24 , May 4, 2009
      Bottom line is that your car that you drive to Houston (and probably your ham radio equipment) uses metric parts - and if you work on it, you probably have metric tools in your tool box.  Your mechanic certainly does.

      Having lived and worked around the world, and driven the autobahnen of Germany at well over 200 kph, as well as the English motorways at their maximum mph allowed, I find it sad that closed mindedness ends up in someone not reading an article simply based upon dimensional measurement.  That ends up in an individual's not understanding, in toto, the arguments set forth therein because they don't want to learn another form of dimensional measurement.  We certainly don't want to understand the rest of the world....

      My Corvette has a button I can push to switch from mph to kph - it's fun to see the look on a passenger's face when we're doing over 100 kph, and they think it's mph.  At least Chevrolet understands that being American doesn't obviate the possibility that American owners understand metrics.....

      I still love the "larger" score offered by using kilometers.  However, I suppose we could revert to the basis for the Anglo Saxon system which we now call the inch/foot/yard system:  "
      both the foot and the yard are based on the Saxon ynce (inch), the foot being 36 barleycorns and the yard 108."   That means we'd be measuring distances as the width of barleycorns, and a mile would be 190,080 of them.  Come to think of it, THAT gives you a MUCH larger number than kilometers!  Anyone want to use a new system based upon miles?

      73,

      Joe
      WDØM

      Mike(W5UC) & Kathy(K5MWH) wrote:

      Joe - WDØM wrote:

      > In this country, in most every industrial application, it's metric,
      > since we have to sell American products in the rest of the world. As
      > a former director of contracting for the USAF, I can assure you that
      > the equipment/aircraft/ systems we purchase are metric, are as most
      > parts on your American made automobile. So, I guess it does matter as
      > to what is being done in this country since large parts of your daily
      > life ARE metric - perhaps people haven't noticed.
      >
      > I have to agree - with metrics comes a "bigger" score!
      >
      > 73,
      >
      > Joe, Colonel, USAF (Ret)
      > WDØM
      > Texan by accident of birth

      Joe, that's just fantastic, but the bottom line is that my wife & I
      don't drive a military jet to Houston and back. The fact still remains
      that the US population doesn't want distances in km, and we are still
      able to successfully make it from here to work, or from here to Dallas
      despite the fact that our distances are measured in those cruddy old
      miles miles. This still goes back to the parent and the child. Just
      because the folks in BFE do it doesn't mean that we should.

      73,
      Mike, W5UC
      "American by birth. Texan by the grace of God*
      http://www.the912pr oject.com
      http://www.suddenli nk.net/pages/ w5uc/

    • Paul Whatton
      Message 2 of 24 , May 4, 2009
        Strange as it may seem, in the UK the adoption of litres for buying
        petrol and milk, or kg for buying groceries has become a normal part of
        daily life. Just as my dual-national, bilingual children swap between
        their European languages, us oldies swap between metric & imperial
        without thinking about it. We do have some real curiosities, for example
        buying 4" x 2" timber in metre lengths :-) And if yu go to buy aluminium
        rod to build that new antenna you can't be sure until you measure it if
        it's been drawn in imperial or metric, something that's caught me out a
        few times. But as Dave G0DJA pointed out we have clung onto the really
        important things like buying beer in the pub (but not the supermarket)
        in pints and driving in miles per hour :-) I don't think anyone feels
        less British because of metric. It's the swamping of British culture by
        Hollywood cinema & US TV that does that for us :-) (Retires under the
        table).

        73 Paul G4DCV

        Message 3 of 24 , May 4, 2009
          PS I meant to ask. Are you guys going to start asking for MS skeds on
          the 6 foot 6 and 7 tenths band? :-)

          Happy days

          73 Paul G4DCV
        • Joe - WDØM
          Message 4 of 24 , May 4, 2009
            I always thought that mediocrity was a result of not trying harder to understand new things and improve yourself.....

            "See y'all on the "
            6 foot 6 and 7 tenths band"  (Thanks Paul!)

            73,

            Joe
            WDØM
            Texan by accident of birth
            Message 5 of 24 , May 4, 2009
              Hi Joe

              I couldn't be bothered to work out what 50MHz was- 19 feet something :-)

              While I'm at it can I just mention another thing on this topic that gets
              right up my nose. :-) Why oh why do M2 not give metric dimensions as
              well as inches in their instructions? I've bought three of their
              (excellent) antennas for 2m, a pair of 5W 17s for the contest group and
              a 9 ele which I use here at home. I sometimes have to assemble the 17
              eles in the dark, when it's cold and blowing a gale and when I'd really,
              really rather be tucked up in the warm pub (pub = bar) down the road.

              To centre just one element taking into account the variable boom
              diameter just isn't any fun at all using inches and fractions of them.
              And I have 34 of the damn things to do! On VHF National Field Day we run
              two arrays of 5W 17 eles which we assemble in a farmer's field and so
              that's 68 elements!!! Arghhhh! Millimetres would be so much easier...
              Trust me, it would. At least in the UK we have tape measures that have
              inches on them as well as metric.

              My poor friends inthe rest of Europe who have never seen an inch, let
              alone know what 6 of them look like, are stuffed!

              Why do M2 do this to us? Surely not arrogance or a one finger salute to
              their customers in Europe? Great yagis, bloody awful parochial instructions!

              Metric rules KO!

              73 Paul G4DCV

              Message 6 of 24 , May 4, 2009
                Metrics are just to much easier to work with....no trying to figure out feet and inches.....when I lived in Germany, or traveled through Europe or Asia, it was so easy.  I'm ambi-dimensional, I suppose....I can get by with either - but metric measurement is just so logical...as highlighted when NASA used Imperial units of measurement instead of metrics, causing the Mars Climate Orbiter to miss its mark and destroy the spacecraft.

                Next time I'm in Europe, I'll pick up the tab for a pint and a plowmans at your favorite pub...until then, kilometers for measuring distance in WSJT sounds fine to me.

                Cheers,

                Joe
                WDØM

                Joe - WDØM wrote:

                > I always thought that mediocrity was a result of not trying harder to
                > understand new things and improve yourself.... .
                >
                > "See y'all on the "6 foot 6 and 7 tenths band" (Thanks Paul!)
                >
                > 73,
                >
                > Joe
                > WDØM
                > Texan by accident of birth
                >> Mike(W5UC) & Kathy(K5MWH) wrote:
                >>> " Maybe so, maybe no. The reason we as a nation continue to drift
                >>> toward mediocrity is that we no longer stand up and say "I don't
                >>> like that", and others impose their will on us and move on."
                >>> Mike, W5UC
                >>> "American by birth. Texan by the grace of God*

              • Russ K2TXB
                Message 7 of 24 , May 4, 2009
                  Well Mike, if you don't think the US has converted to metric then you must never have to work on any cars, tractors, lawn mowers, wheelbarrows, etc with hand tools.  These days it is not only necessary to have a full set of wrenches and sockets in both US and metric sizes; you also have to maintain a stock of metric sized nuts, bolts, and washers.  Also metric size taps and dies.  And this is just for a hobbyist.  I imagine that any auto shop would tell of an even greater requirement.

                  Also I see a lot of road signs, these days that show distances in KM.  Medical tubing is measured in centimeters as are a lot of other medical and scientific supplies and tools.

                  While I like the old 1/4, 3/8. 7/16, 1/2, 5/8, 9/16, 3/4. 7/8 inch wrenches, it is time to realize that it would be better if the whole world was on the same standard.  Of course places that sell tools are making out with the current dual system as they get to sell twice as much stuff.

                  73, Russ K2TXB