Re: [wsjtgroup] WSJT7 and Ubuntu 8.10 or 9.04

  • Harry Popov
    Message 1 of 3 , May 3, 2009
      Hi,

      Please look this and let me know if it helps. It was writen when Ubuntu
      8.10 was still not born but wsjt still compiles well on Debian Testing
      although here python was upgraded too.
      http://lz1bb.bfra.org/wsjt/Wsjt_Howto_Ubuntu.html

      73, Harry LZ1BB
    • aj8t@ymail.com
      Message 2 of 3 , May 29, 2009
        --- In wsjtgroup@yahoogroups.com, "David Munn" <djmunn@...> wrote:

        > Hi All...i have tried to compile WSJT7 on both Ubuntu 8.10 and 9.04
        > it will compile ok under Ubuntu 8.04....
        > I believe the reason is that with 8.10 and 9.04 they use Python 2.6 and Python-Numpy 1:1.2.1 ....i believe that this version of Numpy is the cause of the problem..
        > in Ubuntu 8.04 it used Python 2.5 and Python-Numpy 1.0.4 and compile 100%
        > i have tried to downgrade to Python 2.5 and Python-Numpy 1.0.4 but the
        > distros will not let me without removing much of the distro which would be bad...
        > does anyone know how we can adujust things so that we get a compile on the later Ubuntu versions
        >
        > 73 David VK4BDJ

        I just found this in the changelog to the latest version of Numpy

        +++++++++++

        Fortran ABI mismatch
        ====================

        The two most popular open source fortran compilers are g77 and gfortran.
        Unfortunately, they are not ABI compatible, which means that concretely you
        should avoid mixing libraries built with one with another. In particular, if
        your blas/lapack/atlas is built with g77, you *must* use g77 when building
        numpy and scipy; on the contrary, if your atlas is built with gfortran, you
        *must* build numpy/scipy with gfortran.

        Choosing the fortran compiler
        -----------------------------

        To build with g77:

        python setup.py build --fcompiler=gnu

        To build with gfortran:

        python setup.py build --fcompiler=gnu95

        How to check the ABI of blas/lapack/atlas

        One relatively simple and reliable way to check for the compiler used to build
        a library is to use ldd on the library. If libg2c.so is a dependency, this
        means that g77 has been used. If libgfortran.so is a a dependency, gfortran has
        been used. If both are dependencies, this means both have been used, which is
        almost always a very bad idea.

        My understanding of the above is that the entire package would have to be recompiled under G95 rather than a mix of gfortran and G95 as is the case in Ubuntu 9.04.

        I will try this soon.

        73
        Ted, AJ8T