WSJT on Netbook?

  • Bud Semon N7CW
    Message 1 of 3 , Apr 10, 2009

      I recently purchased a Samsung NC10 netbook and have been trying to make it work with WSJT.   The problem I’m having is that the SpecJT display appears to contain large noise spikes randomly, although occurring very often, distributed across the 30 seconds and when it transfers to WSJT6 decode window, it decodes a lot of gibberish.  The noise spikes are large enough to cause the Rx noise level display to jump around by a dB or 2.  The netbook has only a microphone input and headphones output and I’m using isolation transformers on both.  I tried an attenuator on the microphone input, but that didn’t make any difference.  I’ve tried 2 radios and they both act the same.  I suspect that the processor just can’t keep up, but I have adjusted the application priority up to realtime and that made no detectable difference.  The tone generation and transmit path seem to work fine.  My next step is to try a newer laptop, but I wondered if anyone has any ideas or suggestions?  I’m going to be doing some grid expeditions this spring and summer and the netbook would be much nicer to use.

      Thanks and 73,

      Bud  N7CW

    • Peter Frenning [OZ1PIF]
      Message 2 of 3 , Apr 10, 2009
        Bud Semon N7CW skrev:

[...]

        Hi Bud,

        In my experience, you'll be much better off leaving the on-board sound device for your other sound usages, and purchase either a cheap USB sound "card" or a complete device like the "SignaLink USB" (See : http://www.frenning.dk/OZ1PIF_HOMEPAGE/SignaLinkUSB-mods.html for caveats).

        And btw: this is valid not just for Notebooks, but for all on-board devices, and regardless of which OS you prefer.

        --
        Vy 73 de OZ1PIF/5Q2M, Peter

        ** CW: Who? Me? You must be joking!! **
        email: peter(no-spam-filler)@...
        http://www.frenning.dk/oz1pif.htm
        Ph. +45 4619 3239
        Snailmail:
        Peter Frenning
        Ternevej 23
        DK-4130 Viby Sj.
        Denmark

      • Bud Semon N7CW
        Message 3 of 3 , Apr 10, 2009

          Peter,

          Thanks very much – this looks like the solution.  And your web page write up is great.

          73, Bud  N7CW

          email: peter(no-spam-filler) @frenning. dk