Proposed scoring changes for the April WSJT Sprint

  • Bill W5WVO
    Message 1 of 2 , Apr 3 2:21 PM
      Hello WSJTers,

      There are still a few more hours for WSJT March Sprint participants to send in their reports to me. If you haven't yet done this (and there are MANY of you out there!), please do so. So far, the number of entrants is down from 27 in February to only 19 so far for March. Though the overall level of activity remained high in the March Sprint (42 unique calls reported versus 36 in February), the number of reports has not kept up a similar pace. You can't have much of a contest if people don't send in their logs!

      Now to the business at hand.

      As a result of feedback from a number of stations in the western US, I'm proposing the following scoring changes for the April Sprint. Comments are solicited.

      (1) Random contacts will have a multiplier of x2. In addition to calling or answering a CQ, any contact resulting from tail-ending a station who is ending a QSO (whether random or PJ-scheduled) is considered a random contact for both the calling station and the called station. Therefore, listening for tail-enders before moving off frequency is to an operator's advantage as it could result in a x2 multiplier for the resulting contact.

      Score reporting would change because you will need to break down your contacts according to whether they are Random or Assisted, and then multiply the Random contacts mileage x2. Because of this multiplier and the bonus points described in (3) below, the final score is now POINTS, not MILES. (But the points are very much mileage-derived.)

      Separate score groupings for Random-only and Assisted-only will NOT be broken out. Too much granularity for a 4-hour Sprint.

      (2) Final scores will be divided up into Eastern NA and Western NA (Eastern/Central time zones versus Mountain/Pacific time zones). Breaking down into four time zones would result in too much granularity for a 4-hour Sprint.

      (3) The two stations who complete the Sprint's longest-distance QSO will be awarded a Best DX bonus of 750 points (on average, the value of an additional assisted QSO).

      I think creating the x2 random multiplier AND retaining the mileage-based scoring system AND adding the Best DX Bonus creates a compelling strategic tension between Random and Assisted contacts. Do you agree, or disagree? Let me know.

      Bill W5WVO
    • Randy Tipton
      Message 2 of 2 , Apr 4 9:00 AM
        Bill I support the proposed changes. If a few stations are calling cq on the calling frequency one can work contacts quicker with out the added delays of the ping jockey page. If the proposed rules are accepted, I will be happy to post the new rules to the webpage.

        Tip
        WA5UFH