Re: SixMeter WSJT Call Frequency Dialog

  • Bruce Brackin
    Message 1 of 2 , Aug 7, 2003
      I am also plagued by the 50.270 birdie here at home QTH (and in
      Memphis). Strongest to the NE and SW at this location and does not
      appear to be internal to radio(s) or PC(s). Usually worse in the AM. I
      can work Random Hour ok with ST set to +4 and do not get false ST
      decodes. 50.280 clean as a whistle here so that would be AOK with me.

      Like others, I'm not sure how to best go about reaching consensus.
      While the most "frequent flyers" are probably on the WSJTGROUP and/or
      DOS list, many occasional users are not and they would need to be
      informed and/or opinions sought. If a decision is reached, would it be
      possible to get Chris to add small note to the header of PJ giving the
      calling freqs? There are also several sites we often refer new users to
      (WB5APD, W8WN, and WA5UFH) and that would be good place to get any
      change posted.

      Does anyone know of a change to a calling freq in other bands and/or
      modes and what problems, if any, that caused?

      I use the 6m calling freq (usually U7) a good bit while mobile and try
      to monitor it while at home as well. If a better freq for most would
      encourage more random QSO's, it would be great. While PJ is great and a
      wonderful tool, it is always exciting to hear or be heard and work a
      random QSO.

      Guess my main question is how birdies know the exact ST's audio freqs to
      come and roost on - hi!

      Bruce, KD5IUG
    • Andrew T. Flowers, K0SM
      Message 2 of 2 , Aug 7, 2003
        I think moving the calling frequency would be a bad idea. It has
        nothing to do with the QRM potential on either frequency, but more to do
        with the logistics of such a thing and what it means for future
        activity. There are many WSJT users and potential users who are not in
        the "email loop" as it were, especially the newbies who pick up the
        program the the week before teh Leonids shower just to see if they can
        hear anything. They aren't going to know anything about a change and
        aren't going to hear anything as a result. They never become QRV, so
        fewer QSOs for everyone.

        There are a large number of folks who get on FSK441 primarily for
        contests, and I would hate to see activity get divided. I'm hoping that
        there is critical mass this September and January for a large number of
        random QSOs on 6m. If activity is divided between two frequencies from
        those who have heard the gospel and those who haven't, we won't get that
        critical mass. For those of you in the boonies, I wish you could have
        heard 50.270 in the January contest from FN13he so that you would have
        an idea of how well established 50.270 on Sunday morning....

        Andy K0SM/2