Notebook Computers!

  • David R. Hassall
    Message 1 of 9 , Mar 27, 2009
      Message
      Dear gang,

      Has anyone tried out the new ATOM Processor notebooks on WSJT Yet?  I was looking at one the other
      day and was curious if they had enough guts to do WSJT and some of the other digital modes.  They
      sure look atractive as a communications computer for my "Grab and Go" radio setup and running
      WSJT on Windows XP was one ot the things I wasn't sure it would do.   I really like their size footprint
      and their weight.  It would almost fit into my "toolbox case" .

      Any comments greatly appreciated.

      73 Dave
      David R. Hassall WA5DJJ
      Email: dhassall@...

    • Al
      Message 2 of 9 , Mar 27, 2009
        Hello David and both groups:
        I have the Asus Netbook with the Intel Atom and XP. (I upgraded it to XP Pro, and put in more memory.) I use the US Interface Navigator with it. Although I have not had a QSO on any mode of WSJT, everything on the screen looks good. It keys the transmitter, puts out audio and the waterfall looks great. After this series of storms passes, I will try EME.
        The only "glitch" is the upper right hand window in the WSJT7 window. When showing the Moon data, the Az: El: Dop: and Dgrd: data is truncated on the right side. (The small data window does not go all the way to the right of the big window.)

        I use it for Skype all the time along with the camera mode.

        As you may know, it does not have a CD / DVD drive. I purchased an external USB drive for it.

        The built in features are great.

        Bottom line, I like it! Google Earth even looks great on it!

        73,
        Al

        Has anyone tried out the new ATOM Processor notebooks on WSJT Yet?  I was looking at one the other
        day and was curious if they had enough guts to do WSJT and some of the other digital modes.  They
        sure look atractive as a communications computer for my "Grab and Go" radio setup and running
        WSJT on Windows XP was one ot the things I wasn't sure it would do.   I really like their size footprint
        and their weight.  It would almost fit into my "toolbox case" .

        Any comments greatly appreciated.

        73 Dave
        David R. Hassall WA5DJJ
        Email: dhassall@zianet. com
        Website: http://www.zianet. com/dhassall/

      • Al
        Message 3 of 9 , Mar 27, 2009
          Message
          David and the groups:
          A little more information:
          I do have a HD. It is partitioned into C: 80 gig and D: 79 gig.
          I just worked KB8RQ and RZ3BA/1 on EME with it. Unfortunately heavy rain has precluded any further QSOs. I did hear a couple of other stations, but heavy rain ...

          I will send screen shot to Joe and see what he recommends to take care of the window truncation.

          Non - WSJT information:
          It has no serial port, but if you use Bluetooth to input GPS data, you can use a program called "serial splitter" and it will take the BT data and route it to an "internal?" serial port that can then be used by map programs. Takes getting used to, but it works. I use the Holex GPS receiver. About the size of a match box. (I hate it when someone uses a size based on something that isn't known by all !! "nickel sized hail" for example.) The Holex is about 1.5 inches by 2.5 inches and 3/4 inch thick. Battery lasts about 10 hours.

          Any further information == all you have to do is ask.
          73
          AL

          Thanks for the information.  You have exactly the one I was going to buy.  The Asus one was the one I was looking at.
          Did you get the one with or without the Hard disk drive???  I was looking for one to keep the power drain to almost
          a minimum.  I could always use USB sticks for the extra memory.   I definately want the windows XP though.  Sorry
          for all the questions but I am curious....

          73 Dave
          David R. Hassall WA5DJJ
          Email: dhassall@...

          Message 4 of 9 , Mar 27, 2009
            Al,

            Which Asus Netbook do you have?  What size screen?

            Cheers - Bob

            Message 5 of 9 , Mar 27, 2009
              Bob:
              Asus Eee PC 1000H
              Diagonal of screen is 10 inches
              5 inches vertical and 8 3/4 horizontal

              Message 6 of 9 , Mar 27, 2009
                Message
                Dear Gang!

                I did go over to best buy today and look at some of the mini net notbook computers today.
                Mostly a kick the tires visit.  I left my credit card and check book at home.   There were
                Asus eeepc900's  (the one without the hard disk but did have windows XP home)  The
                solid state hard disk was only 16GB which seems like a lot but with the software load
                they give you there was only about 10gb left.   Battery life was only about 3 hours on any
                of the three.  A couple of stick drives and you could have more than enough space.
                There was a nicer HP one that had a better display screen.  but it also was about $70
                more.  The Asus eeepc900's had celeron processors but the HP had an atom.
                Think I will sit on my hands a bit and save up my money.   I would still like a 6M linear
                and some other stuff and all of it costs more money these days.

                73 Dave
                David R. Hassall WA5DJJ
                Email: dhassall@...

              • Matt Patterson
                Message 7 of 9 , Mar 27, 2009
                  Message

                  Dave,

                  Keep an eye on www.slickdeals.net

                  If you have never been to the site before it’s a forum where people post information about good deals (mainly tech items) that they’ve found either in store or online.  I have seen two different netbooks on there recently.  The Asus one and Dell’s netbook both under $200.  If you’re looking for a bargain especially for tech items I always check out slickdeals first.

                  73 Matt

                  W5LL

                  Message 8 of 9 , Mar 28, 2009
                    Hello All:
                    The question that I was asked was referring to the Atom processor. (not Celeron)
                    My battery life with the HD is a 4 hours and 15 minutes with a full charge. I have not timed it, but that is what the screen tells me. I doubt it really lasts that long - especially with the screen illuminated.
                    If you are going to encumber your NETbook with memory sticks and the like, you might as well get the HD. That way if you want to upgrade to XP pro, you will be able to do it. I don't know if you noticed, but it also has a slot for the SD memory (it acts as a drive).
                    It only has one internal slot for memory, so I removed the 1gb and replaced it with 2gb.

                    73,
                    Al

[...]

                  • Dr. Dana-Renee Lee PhD