If possible...

  • jean
    Message 1 of 3 , Mar 11, 2009
      Joe,

      If you are planning a new soft for HF use, I should like

      -- transmission centered on 1500 Hz,(center, not edge), not 1270

      --AND BEFORE ALL :

      An auto transceive feature as a default : click anywhere in receive, and
      the tx follows...
      It appears that now one qso out of 2 is in split, and takes 2 freq when
      one is enough.
      Yet this morning, two cq on 14075.75, two answers on 14076... and two
      qso on double freq. Impossible to TxDF on the caller's freq, he thinks
      he lost me !
      With the increasing number of new stations trying JT modes, it happens
      all the time. Many are unable to read the help or do not understand what
      they are reading !

      Best 73.

      Jean F8RZ
    • David
      Message 2 of 3 , Mar 11, 2009
        jean wrote:

        > Joe,
        >
        > If you are planning a new soft for HF use, I should like
        >
        > -- transmission centered on 1500 Hz,(center, not edge), not 1270
        >
        > --AND BEFORE ALL :
        >
        > An auto transceive feature as a default : click anywhere in receive, and
        > the tx follows...
        > It appears that now one qso out of 2 is in split, and takes 2 freq when
        > one is enough.
        > Yet this morning, two cq on 14075.75, two answers on 14076... and two
        > qso on double freq. Impossible to TxDF on the caller's freq, he thinks
        > he lost me !
        > With the increasing number of new stations trying JT modes, it happens
        > all the time. Many are unable to read the help or do not understand what
        > they are reading !
        >
        > Best 73.
        >
        > Jean F8RZ

        Hi Jean.....there are many ops of WSJT who would agree with the idea of
        a auto net of RX and TX built into the WSJT software......the problem is
        you would also have to get Patrick to put it into Multipsk.....many ops
        believe that is where the problem is as the help files in Multipsk for
        JT65A are not very clear as how to use it properly.....

        73 David VK4BDJ
        Message 3 of 3 , Mar 11, 2009
          Hi Jean,

          Many thanks for your suggestions!

          There are good reasons for the design choices that set the default JT65
          sync tone frequency to 1270 Hz, and the default condition so that "TxDF"
          does not automatically track the setting of "Freeze DF".

          JT65 was conceived and designed for EME communication at VHF and UHF.
          The sub-mode JT65A is used for 50 MHz EME, JT65B for 144 and 432 MHz,
          and JT65C for 1296 and 2304 MHz. In the "C" mode the highest tone is
          711 Hz above the sync tone; the 1270 Hz default setting keeps that
          highest tone well within a SSB transceiver's filter passband.

          In EME communication there are many reasons that received values of "DF"
          may not remain constant. We are talking about frequencies one to two
          orders of magnitude higher than typical HF frequencies, so oscillator
          drift is much more of an issue. Even with stable oscillators, Doppler
          shifts on the EME path mean that received frequencies don't stay
          constant. Unlike typical operation with JT65A at HF, EME operators may
          frequently change the setting of "Freeze DF" during a QSO. They do
          *not* want their Tx frequency to change after such adjustments have been
          made.

          You made no particular case for 1500 Hz rather than 1270 Hz, or for
          "center, not edge", so I can't evaluate your reasoning. However, I do
          understand that the use of JT65A at HF would be more convenient and
          better behaved if some default settings were different for HF and for
          VHF+. Since the program has a "Band" setting, it should be possible to
          use this to "have it both ways", as appropriate for the frequency in use.

          I have no idea what fraction of JT65 users on HF are using MultiPSK,
          instead of WSJT. That, of course, would be another issue.

          -- 73, Joe, K1JT