Re: [wsjtgroup] February 2009 Sprint Post-Mortem

  • Randy Tipton
    Message 1 of 5 , Mar 7, 2009

      Thanks Bill for all you have done to get the Sprints going. Guy the WSJTGROUP webpages are updated to accommodate the Sprints. (Make sure you hit the "Refresh" button if needed.)
      My comments:
      1. I like the distance scoring and found it easy to make contacts via the PJ. Stations who have both bands can be worked back to back, presto easy. Longer distance contacts I suppose are possible if one takes the time to focus on them but this is not the best time of year for longhaul ms. Thus I believe if a higher score is desired, stations should focus on number worked vs. distant stations.

      If another category was made for Random Operators I suppose contacts would be faster than via PJ schedules  however it would divide the number of operators which is a negative effect.  I am happy with whatever the group decides.
      2. On this issue of should the Sprint be a part of Random Hour or not... Consider this, during a year there are 100 RH Saturday sessions counting both Sunday & Saturday vs. only 4 Saturday Sprints for the year. As much as I love working random hour activity periods, I believe the balance is good. The Sprint was fun and a good change!
      We didn't communicate as you stated and Jim noted that RH was canceled during the Sprints. This all came about quickly and had a short fuse thus that was not communicated an my error. The WebPage for RH now clearly shows no RH during Sprints.
      I believe the smart thing to do is listen on .140 or .260 when not attempting a contact during the Sprint to pick up additional miles.
      my two cents...