Re: [wsjtgroup] February 2009 Sprint Post-Mortem

  • Al
    Message 1 of 5 , Mar 7, 2009
      Good Morning all:
      I don't know about the rest of the HSMS hams, but I had a great time. I set the alarm, turned on the coffee pot and warmed the amp. XYL got up a little later and fixed scrambled eggs and grits, delivered to me in the shack. What a gal. 45 years this month!

      I like PJ and will continue to use it; mainly because 144.140 is clobbered with birdies, so listening there is tough. Of course I could call CQ there and use U/D and listen elsewhere.

      Tip mentioned that he and  Barry (VE3CDX) had had an eyeball QSO. He was on his way from a project near Houston to another in south Alabama. Once settled there, he drove over to Panama City Beach and we had a three day visit. No HSMS, but lots of EME and LOTS of food!

      To reiterate, the Sprint was a lot of fun because there were a lot of us there. Someone made the comment that there were 60 some-odd hams "earwigging". Hopefully the March Sprint will bring out a bunch more!

      73,
      Al
      WA4EWV

      Message 2 of 5 , Mar 7, 2009
        First, a plea: PLEASE direct your comments on this thread to the whole list, not just to me personally. While I appreciate knowing your opinion, sending to me privately does nothing to facilitate an open discussion.

        I think we particularly need to discuss:

        (1) Assisted vs random and the scoring method (distance) used in the Sprint. I lump these two things together because my idea for these Sprints was to encourage making longer-distance contacts wherever possible. And since long-distance QSOs are arguably more difficult to get going when operation is restricted to random only, I felt making the contest "open" with respect to PJ would facilitate making longer DX contacts (and hence higher scores).

        (2) Whether the Sprint should be an integral part of Saturday morning RH, or not. The answer from my perspective is that the Sprint REPLACES the RH activity period on those Saturdays when it is run. In other words, it's a separate thing from RH. But I know a few people apparently don't like this approach, so let's talk about it.

        73,
        Bill W5WVO

        Message 3 of 5 , Mar 7, 2009
          Though I could not operate this Round, as Work called me in unexpectedly..
          I think the Sprint's 'Should Be Assisted'.. ie; using PJ, etc.. Helps out the smaller guys and those not too familiar with WSJT..(also.. those of us at greater distances from others!)
          As for Replacing RH on the mornings of the Sprint.. IMHO..Why Not ! Its just the One Morning.. but I suppose we could submit our Logs for RH results as well.. but I prefer it would Replace RH for the morning of the Sprint.. pretty much the same Up Down method, etc. are used anyway.. but you know what they say about opinions..! My 2 cents..
          Jerry VE6CPP
          DN39or

          Message 4 of 5 , Mar 7, 2009

            Thanks Bill for all you have done to get the Sprints going. Guy the WSJTGROUP webpages are updated to accommodate the Sprints. (Make sure you hit the "Refresh" button if needed.)

            My comments:
            1. I like the distance scoring and found it easy to make contacts via the PJ. Stations who have both bands can be worked back to back, presto easy. Longer distance contacts I suppose are possible if one takes the time to focus on them but this is not the best time of year for longhaul ms. Thus I believe if a higher score is desired, stations should focus on number worked vs. distant stations.

            If another category was made for Random Operators I suppose contacts would be faster than via PJ schedules  however it would divide the number of operators which is a negative effect.  I am happy with whatever the group decides.

            2. On this issue of should the Sprint be a part of Random Hour or not... Consider this, during a year there are 100 RH Saturday sessions counting both Sunday & Saturday vs. only 4 Saturday Sprints for the year. As much as I love working random hour activity periods, I believe the balance is good. The Sprint was fun and a good change!

            We didn't communicate as you stated and Jim noted that RH was canceled during the Sprints. This all came about quickly and had a short fuse thus that was not communicated an my error. The WebPage for RH now clearly shows no RH during Sprints.

            I believe the smart thing to do is listen on .140 or .260 when not attempting a contact during the Sprint to pick up additional miles.

            my two cents...

            Tip
            WA5UFH