CORRECTED: Results, February 2009 WSJT Sprint

  • Bill W5WVO
    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 7, 2009
      Results, February 2009 WSJT Sprint

      February Sprint by the numbers:

      Top score, 2m Only: Al WA4EWV, 5,714 miles
      Top score, 6m Only: Bill W5WVO, 11,432 miles
      Top score, Combined: Tip WA5UFH, 11,044 miles
      Top score, all classes: Bill W5WVO, 11,432 miles

      Most Qs, 2m Only: Al WA4EWV, 6 Qs
      Most Qs, 6m Only: Bill W5WVO, 16 Qs
      Most Qs, Combined: Tip WA5UFH, 13 Qs
      Most Qs, all classes: Bill W5WVO, 16 Qs

      Best DX, 2m Only: Al WA4EWV (with AB8CL, no entry), 1,301 miles
      Best DX, 6m Only: Bob K2DRH, 1,240 miles
      Best DX, Combined: Jim W6OUU, 1,240 miles
      Best DX, all classes: Al WA4EWV (with AB8CL, no entry), 1,301 miles

      Number of logs received: 27
      Unique calls reported as worked: 36
      Total QSOs reported: 137

      2 Meters Only Class -- 4 entries

      Al WA4EWV took the 2 Meters Only class with 6 Qs and 5,714 miles. Al also had
      the longest DX of the Sprint, a 1,301-mile Q with Keith AB8CL in southwest
      Ohio. Second place in the 2 Meters Only class went to Terry WA3LTB with 2 Qs
      and 1,508 miles.

      WA4EWV 6 5714
      WA3LTB 2 1508
      K4CML 1 622
      VE2DSB 2 1355

      6 Meters Only Class -- 14 entries

      Bill W5WVO narrowly bested perennial VHF contesting powerhouse Bob K2DRH (13
      Qs, 9,189 miles) to take the 6-meter only class with 16 Qs and 11,432 miles.
      John W9SE was third with an excellent effort of 10 Qs and 5,722 miles.

      W5WVO 16 11,432
      K2DRH 13 9,189
      W9SE 10 5,722
      NZ3M 7 3,959
      WØIOH 4 2,805
      KØRDF 5 2,333
      W3RGA 2 1,271
      K7JIZ 2 974
      N3LL 1 964
      WA5DJJ 2 916
      WD4ELG 1 741
      W6RQR 1 702
      KI7JA 1 608
      K8WW 2 596

      Combined Class (2m + 6m) -- 9 entries

      Tip WA5UFH ran away with the Combined class top spot with 13 Qs and 11,044
      miles. Behind Tip, though, the Combined class was highly competitive, with
      eight scores ranging from 1,641 up through 2nd-place Ted W9NHE (6 Qs, 6,250

      WA5UFH 13 11,044
      W9NHE 8 6,250
      KS7S 9 5,471
      W6OUU 6 4,685
      KE7NR 6 3,905
      NØPB 5 3,680
      KC6ZWT 6 3,308
      K7CW 3 3,110
      KD7UO 3 1,641

      Tip WA5UFH: Fun event, I planned to operate two meters only, but after making
      a few six meter contacts I decided to run the Combined Category. Right after
      the Sprint, had a good eyeball qso with Barry VE3CDX.

      Dave WA5DJJ: I had fun... I heard more than I could talk to...got 1 new grid.

      Norm KC6ZWT: I saw quite a bit of chaos on the 6m calling freq!

      Paul K7CW: I forgot to set my alarm and got up too late... Will do better next

      Bruce KI7JA: I called for a long time on 6M, but I guess that everyone was
      pointed East. I did manage to work KU7Z in DN41... My power line noise was
      too high to do anything on 2M.

      Bob K2DRH: A lot of east coast regulars that I work all the time during random
      hour didn't show -- like W1IPL, KN4SM, N3CXV, KA3BPN, WE1H, WB3BEL to name a
      few. There seemed to be more out west for a change! Anyway ... it was fun and
      I will play again!

      Jim W6OUU: There seemed to be a lot of activity from the looks of the PJ users
      function. Not a lot of activity on .260/.140 as most were off on discreet
      QRG's running schedules. I don't think it did anything to help Random Hour.
      Not until towards the end of the Sprint did I start to see activity on the
      calling frequencies. If the Sprint and Random Hour are going to be run in
      conjunction with each other then I think the calling frequency should be used
      with the U/D method per normal Random Hour protocol, PJ can be used to
      acknowledge completion of a random contact per normal and to check who is on
      and what possible direction where there may be a chance of working someone.
      Only my opinion. Overall, I think it was a good Sprint and look forward to
      next month. Thanks for putting it together Bill. [Note: Tip decided just
      before the Sprint that it would be run INSTEAD OF Random Hour, not run in
      conjunction with it. This decision wasn't well-publicized. -W5WVO]

      Pat W3RGA: I Got up late but still enjoyed giving out some points to John and

      Terry WA3LTB: Congratulations on having a successful sprint, only wish it were
      saturday and sunday mornings both...hi..hi Only had limited time to operate
      this time around.

      Ted W9NHE: Had fun, could of did better, but was doing a lot of looking...

      Stan K7JIZ: Not much time for the sprint... Next time we'll play longer.
      Thanks for your QSO and the fun of Meteor Scatter.

      Bob KØRDF: Sunday we had snow storm here and condx were bad but tried a few
      contacts anyway... Not a good showing but can't fight mother nature.

      Jim KS7S: I had planned to start early (1200Z) because the rocks seem to be
      better early and the chance of my morning broadband noise problems being
      present would be less. Well, the activity was pretty sparse in the west at
      that time so decided to hold off until 1400Z to start. I worked the usual
      Saturday morning "suspects" for the most part. For me, I found that as soon
      as the event "deteriorated" into a "schedule-fest" instead of what I view as a
      contest, I lost interest pretty rapidly. I tried tail-ending several
      in-progress QSOs that I copied; however; it seemed that as soon as the desired
      station copied the hint of an RRR or 73 from the station he was working, he
      moved off to a new PJ-arranged schedule frequency. Not my "cup of tea" -
      guess I prefer the RH protocol better (although that has gone by the wayside
      to some extent lately too). But you can't deny that it generated a lot of
      interest and activity, which we all appreciated.

      Colin K4CML: At time for moonrise, I went to 432 and worked HB9Q for my first
      EME: unfortunately, he doesn't count.What a mileage that would be! Will try to
      do better next one...

      Full results spreadsheet will be forwarded to Tip and he will post it on his