Re: [wsjtgroup] SixMeter Call Frequency Dialog... 50MHz Ops Read...

  • Arthur Jackson
    Message 1 of 8 , Aug 7, 2003
      Thanks Tip for addressing these matters.

      I have interference on 50.270 as well and is one reason I don't operate
      on 6M as much. I also have some source of RFI on 144.140 too, but that
      is in one specific direction (of course that is NE). 50.280 is a clear
      alternative for me here in Fort Worth, Texas. I say yes.

      For what it is worth, I would make sure to notify all the 6 Meter gods
      (SMIRK, 6 Meter Club, ARRL, CQ-VHF etc.) to pass the word around. Let
      me know if you would like me to put something in the SWOT Bulletin (Yes
      2M advocates love 6M too.)

      Art Jackson KA5DWI
      Sidewinders on Two RC Chairman/Bulletin Editor

      --- Randy Tipton <wa5ufh@...> wrote:
      > I am proposing we consider moving the six meter calling frequency.
      > The existing call frequency is 50.270 and is used by portable,
      mobile,
      > cqing stations and for activity periods ie Random Hours. The reason
      for moving is heterodynes or birdies on that frequency which cause
      interference to some operators using the WSJT modes.

      One proposed call frequency is 50.280 MHz.
    • Jon W0AMT
      Message 2 of 8 , Aug 7, 2003
        I have interference all the way up and down 6 meters so moving the calling
        frequency doesn't much matter to me. If I am CQ'ing on .270 it is always up 7
        or down 9 or something like that. I don't generally have qso;s on .270. If it
        will actually help some operators with out moving the problem to another set of
        operators then moving it sounds ok to me.

        73, Jon
        W0AMT
        Message 3 of 8 , Aug 7, 2003
          50.280 sounds good to me - i also have 270 qrm here.
          jay K2OVS
        • Lee Scott - AA1YN
          Message 4 of 8 , Aug 7, 2003
            Here is another reason not to move the 50mhz calling freq up in freq.

            In the midwest, there is a major start to use 50.300 as an FM calling
            frequency. I discovered this while I was trying to work JT6M on 50.275.

            50.300 thru 50.400 is an all mode section of the band and FM is allowed by
            the bandplan.

            Yes I did point out the gentleman that he was intruding on the weak signal
            area of the band by placing his center freq on 50.300 and yes I did write
            to the League with some nice worded comments.

            Personally I don't see the need for moving the calling freq.
          • Brian Hoyland
            Message 5 of 8 , Aug 8, 2003
              Hello to all,

              50.270 is usually quiet in most directions at my station.

              50.280 is also quiet in most directions to my station, but does get some FM scratching from 50.300 ops when 6 meters is open to my south.

              I would not be opposed to establishing a different calling frequency for 6 meters.

              Perhaps we should consider being even higher into the 50.300 to 50.600 window for all modes.  That might improve relations with ssb ops who consider their turf to be 50.100 to 50.300. For example, I have worked JA's on ssb as high as 50.280 during the crowded F2 openings a few years ago, and domestic stations will frequently be found running ssb in range of 50.200 to 50.250 during strong summer Es conditions.

              Thanks

              Brian, KC7OTV