RE: [wsjtgroup] WSJT Frequencies???

  • Randy Tipton
    Message 1 of 5 , Aug 6, 2003

      There are two designated call frequencies…. 144.140 and 50.270 both for WSJT Modes and both USB. A very good time for listening is during the Activity Periods or Random Hours on Saturdays Mornings. To learn about the Random Hours take a look at the http://www.qsl.net/wa5ufh/WSJTGROUP/WSJTGROUP.htm for information.

      Most contacts are made by schedules and most schedules are made in “real-time” using the Ping Jockey http://www.pingjockey.net/cgi-bin/pingtalk . Gary I would monitor the Ping Jockey for schedules that are within meteor scatter range and listen in on those attempts. (Meteor Scatter range is normally less than 1200 miles)  After you feel comfortable with the Operating Procedure and hear a few pings make some schedules on the PJ.

      I hope this answers your question…

      Tip

      WA5UFH

      Message 2 of 5 , Aug 6, 2003
        Message 3 of 5 , Aug 6, 2003
          Randy,
          Thanks for the great advise. I have been watching the
          Ping Jockey and that sure seems to be a great tool.
          Also, What sort of antenna are you running there? Do
          you have it horizontal and is there any upward tilt
          for meteor activity? I have heard that about a 10-15
          degree upward tilt works better than flat horizontal..

          We are going to have a large predeicted meteor shower
          later this month and perhaps that will be a good one
          to get my feet wet on....

          I am running about 150-watts to a 10-element yagi.
          Hopefully that will be enough to get started with.

          Regards,
          Gary - W5GNB

          --- David Ackrill <dave.g0dja@...> wrote:

> [...]

          http://sitebuilder.yahoo.com
        • Randy Tipton
          Message 4 of 5 , Aug 6, 2003

                        Gary for Meteor Scatter use horizontal polarization unless trying to work someone who is vertical. Almost all operators I know are using horizontal antennas. As to your question regarding elevation, zero degrees will work just fine for you. WSJT does give you the elevation degrees if you can do that but it is not necessary. Your station will work well, I run a Mirage 1016 Amp on two meters into 9 elements at about 62 ft. In fact I started off with an 18MXXX antenna and went down is size to 9 elements and am actually doing better with what data I have collected. Check my webpage, I have comparisons between the 18Mxxx and 9MSSB antennas tracking a few points like completion times, completion rates etc. With my 9 element antenna with 54 qso’s my completion rate is 76% with an average completion time of 20 minutes. (I do not count any attempts over 1200 miles and I need to update my data on the web)  For most meteor scatter qso’s, 150 watts will be adequate.

                        The meteor shower is a good time to start however contacts can be made almost anytime of the day so don’t think you have to wait for a Major Shower to make contacts. I am sure there are a few chopping-at-the bit to work you.

            Tip