MS Sprints Scoring

  • James Duffey
    Message 1 of 14 , Feb 5, 2009
      The ARRL 10 GHz scoring is pretty good.

      100 points for the initial contact with a station.

      1 point per kilometer of distance between the stations.

      Exchange is the 6 digit Maidenhead grid square.

      The distance is calculated with the 6 digit grids.

      For added interest you could have logarithmic EIRP classes; 100 W,
      1000 W 10000W.

      Duffey

      --
      KK6MC
      James Duffey
      Message 2 of 14 , Feb 7, 2009
        Hi Does anyone know anything about this guy, Mark Thompson, (wb9qzb@...).  For months now I have been receiving announcements and invitations from him to join something called Illinois Digital Ham Group.  I can understand why someone would send these to a large group of possibly interested hams when the group is first formed, but this is getting to be a nuisance.  I have contacted him and asked him to take me off his list, he responded by telling me I should join.  I responded telling him why I don't want to join but no response and he is still sending me this stuff.

        I'm posting to this group because I guess he is getting my address from my association with Yahoo groups.  Has anyone else experienced the same thing?  Does anyone know him that can figure out his mindset?  It certainly does not seem reasonable.

        73, Russ K2TXB

      • Mike(W5UC) & Kathy(k5MWH)
        Message 3 of 14 , Feb 7, 2009
          Russ K2TXB wrote:

          Russ, so far I have not received anything from him.  However, let me suggest that you go to the web page of your ISP, and see what options they offer.  I can go to mine and easily set a filter so that the specified e-mail address dies at the server, and never reaches my inbox.  GL

          73,
          Mike, W5UC
          *age & treachery will overcome youth & skill*
          *"management is the cesspool of life. it's the place
            where the big chunks float to the top"*
          http://www.suddenlink.net/pages/w5uc/

          Hi Does anyone know anything about this guy, Mark Thompson, (wb9qzb@yahoo. com).  For months now I have been receiving announcements and invitations from him to join something called Illinois Digital Ham Group.
        • Steinar Aanesland
          Message 4 of 14 , Feb 7, 2009
            "Has anyone else experienced the same thing? " Yes, and I have made a
            "Mark Thompson" filter on the mail server.
            His mail never reach me anymore.

            73 de LA5VNA Steinar

            Russ K2TXB wrote:

            > Hi Does anyone know anything about this guy, Mark Thompson,
            > (wb9qzb@yahoo. com <mailto:wb9qzb@...>). For months now I have
            > been receiving announcements and invitations from him to join
            > something called Illinois Digital Ham Group. I can understand why
            > someone would send these to a large group of possibly interested hams
            > when the group is first formed, but this is getting to be a nuisance.
            > I have contacted him and asked him to take me off his list, he
            > responded by telling me I should join. I responded telling him why I
            > don't want to join but no response and he is still sending me this stuff.
            >
            > I'm posting to this group because I guess he is getting my address
            > from my association with Yahoo groups. Has anyone else experienced
            > the same thing? Does anyone know him that can figure out his
            > mindset? It certainly does not seem reasonable.
            >
            > 73, Russ K2TXB
            >
            > _
          • Mike(W5UC) & Kathy(k5MWH)
            Message 5 of 14 , Feb 7, 2009
              Russ K2TXB wrote:

              It also might be fun to forward one of his e-mail messages, with full
              headers, to abuse@... They get serious about stuff sent to that
              address.

              73,
              Mike, W5UC
              *age & treachery will overcome youth & skill*
              *"management is the cesspool of life. it's the place
              where the big chunks float to the top"*
              http://www.suddenlink.net/pages/w5uc/

              > Hi Does anyone know anything about this guy, Mark Thompson,
              > (wb9qzb@... <mailto:wb9qzb@...>). For months now I have
              > been receiving announcements and invitations from him to join
              > something called Illinois Digital Ham Group.
            • Jim, KS7S
              Message 6 of 14 , Feb 7, 2009

                Yes, I have too Russ – and what is even more frustrating is I joined the group to see what it was all about and still got more of the messages, even as a subscribed member. All taken care of now LOL

                Jim KS7S

                Message 7 of 14 , Feb 7, 2009
                  Russ,

                      Yup, he is annoying, and he ignores all request to not be bothered. Like others, I made a filter in my email client. However, he also will sub himself to every possible yahoo group, and then flood that group "with all things important to him". We have a West Michigan Ham Yahoo group, and he sends that forum all the Illinois stuff, all the time.

                      Annoying he is. Filter him out..

                      tom K8TB

                    Message 9 of 14 , Feb 7, 2009

                      Mike, W5UC wrote:

                      > Once again, if this obnoxious clown has no regard for his fellow hams, The Yahoo Abuse Team  needs to know about him.

                      abuse@yahoo. com
                      I have no patience with jokers like this, and he needs to be gone.

                      Mike and all: Done.
                      Thanks
                      73, Russ K2TXB

                      Message 10 of 14 , Feb 7, 2009
                        Ditto...

                        I have received dozens of request to join ILLINOIS DIGITAL HAM group
                        and I have never joined because it sounds like a really lame group
                        name that would only cater to Illinois hams that use digital modes.
                        Had Mark Thompson named his group something more creative and inviting
                        to digital hams everywhere I might have considered joining....heck, I
                        thought I was the only one getting the invites because I live in
                        Illinois and because my posts were so intriguing. Now you guys have
                        spoiled all my grand illusions!

                        What amazes me is that why people like this don't realize that we will
                        just add them to our spam filters after the first few messages and
                        they are just wasting their time and bandwidth to provide negative
                        advertising for their cause. What are they thinking?

                        de N9SS, Dave

                        --- In wsjtgroup@yahoogroups.com, "Russ K2TXB" <k2txb@...> wrote:

                        > Hi Does anyone know anything about this guy, Mark Thompson,
                        > (wb9qzb@...). For months now I have been receiving announcements and
                        > invitations from him to join something called Illinois Digital Ham
                        Group. I
                        > can understand why someone would send these to a large group of possibly
                        > interested hams when the group is first formed, but this is getting
                        to be a
                        > nuisance. I have contacted him and asked him to take me off his
                        list, he
                        > responded by telling me I should join. I responded telling him why
                        I don't
                        > want to join but no response and he is still sending me this stuff.
                        >
                        > I'm posting to this group because I guess he is getting my address
                        from my
                        > association with Yahoo groups. Has anyone else experienced the same
                        thing?
                        > Does anyone know him that can figure out his mindset? It certainly
                        does not
                        > seem reasonable.
                        >
                        > 73, Russ K2TXB

                      • Danny Pease
                        Message 11 of 14 , Feb 7, 2009

                          I was a member on that list for a while and when I left it I got the same junk for the next year or so. It did finally stop.

                          NG9R

                          I have received dozens of request to join ILLINOIS DIGITAL HAM group
                          and I have never joined because it sounds like a really lame group
                          name that would only cater to Illinois hams that use digital modes.
                          Had Mark Thompson named his group something more creative and inviting
                          to digital hams everywhere I might have considered joining....heck, I
                          thought I was the only one getting the invites because I live in
                          Illinois and because my posts were so intriguing. Now you guys have
                          spoiled all my grand illusions!

                          What amazes me is that why people like this don't realize that we will
                          just add them to our spam filters after the first few messages and
                          they are just wasting their time and bandwidth to provide negative
                          advertising for their cause. What are they thinking?

                          de N9SS, Dave

                          --- In wsjtgroup@yahoogroups.com, "Russ K2TXB" <k2txb@...> wrote:

                          > Hi Does anyone know anything about this guy, Mark Thompson,
                          > (wb9qzb@...). For months now I have been receiving announcements and
                          > invitations from him to join something called Illinois Digital Ham
                          Group. I
                          > can understand why someone would send these to a large group of possibly
                          > interested hams when the group is first formed, but this is getting
                          to be a
                          > nuisance. I have contacted him and asked him to take me off his
                          list, he
                          > responded by telling me I should join. I responded telling him why
                          I don't
                          > want to join but no response and he is still sending me this stuff.
                          >
                          > I'm posting to this group because I guess he is getting my address
                          from my
                          > association with Yahoo groups. Has anyone else experienced the same
                          thing?
                          > Does anyone know him that can figure out his mindset? It certainly
                          does not
                          > seem reasonable.
                          >
                          > 73, Russ K2TXB

                        • Andy obrien
                          Message 12 of 14 , Feb 8, 2009
                            Mark does eventually respond to private emails but it takes a bit of effort to get his attention. I banned him from the digitalradio Yahoo group for reposting items .  On several occasions he posted messages of mine that I had already sent to the digitalradio group !  Perhaps I am too biased, he started the Illinois digital group as competition to my group, annoying,.. but competition can be good.

                            Andy K3UK

                            On 2/7/09, Danny Pease <dpease@...> wrote:

                            I was a member on that list for a while and when I left it I got the same junk for the next year or so. It did finally stop.

                            NG9R

                            I have received dozens of request to join ILLINOIS DIGITAL HAM group
                            and I have never joined because it sounds like a really lame group
                            name that would only cater to Illinois hams that use digital modes.
                            Had Mark Thompson named his group something more creative and inviting
                            to digital hams everywhere I might have considered joining....heck, I
                            thought I was the only one getting the invites because I live in
                            Illinois and because my posts were so intriguing. Now you guys have
                            spoiled all my grand illusions!

                            What amazes me is that why people like this don't realize that we will
                            just add them to our spam filters after the first few messages and
                            they are just wasting their time and bandwidth to provide negative
                            advertising for their cause. What are they thinking?

                            de N9SS, Dave

                            --- In wsjtgroup@yahoogroups.com, "Russ K2TXB" <k2txb@...> wrote:

                            > Hi Does anyone know anything about this guy, Mark Thompson,
                            > (wb9qzb@...). For months now I have been receiving announcements and
                            > invitations from him to join something called Illinois Digital Ham
                            Group. I
                            > can understand why someone would send these to a large group of possibly
                            > interested hams when the group is first formed, but this is getting
                            to be a
                            > nuisance. I have contacted him and asked him to take me off his
                            list, he
                            > responded by telling me I should join. I responded telling him why
                            I don't
                            > want to join but no response and he is still sending me this stuff.
                            >
                            > I'm posting to this group because I guess he is getting my address
                            from my
                            > association with Yahoo groups. Has anyone else experienced the same
                            thing?
                            > Does anyone know him that can figure out his mindset? It certainly
                            does not
                            > seem reasonable.
                            >
                            > 73, Russ K2TXB

                          • Leslie Elliott
                            Message 13 of 14 , Feb 8, 2009
                              Andy, I belong to both groups, but still get invitations to join the Illinois group from time to time.  Don't worry, yours is way better than his.  About all they want to talk about is D Star, which I have no interest in.

                              KCØPTO  Les

                            • Jerry Siegmund
                              Message 14 of 14 , Feb 10, 2009
                                I am a Moderator for the Yahoo 'Kenwood TS-711A/811A Group' and have gotten two or three e-mails from them.  I checked out their website after the first.. and they had nothing that really interested me.. so I did not join.  I don't consider them a nuisance.. but I guess if more keep coming.. I may !  They are just another e-mail that gets nabbed in the Spam Folder for now.. I think if you ignore them.. they will go away! Don't answer.. or they will know your e-mail addy is a Valid One !
                                Jerry VE6CPP
                                DN39or