Re: [wsjtgroup] Another small matter of protocol

  • aesitt@spinn.net
    Message 1 of 7 , Feb 1, 2009
      Bill W5WVO writes:
       A simple addition in the TX1 field would help identify who is calling who...W1ABC DE W0DEF.... Just my simple solution...ed n5jeh
      I've noticed that more and more people aren't following this point
      of meteor-scatter protocol: The more westerly station TRANSMITS
      FIRST SEQUENCE -- i.e., 0 seconds to 30 seconds of each minute.
      The more easterly station transmits second sequence, from 30
      seconds to 60 seconds of each minute.

      (As pointed out in other documents, this rule is used ONLY in
      North America. In Europe, for example, it is the opposite.)

      If your knowledge of the geography of North America is a bit
      spotty, just look at the "Az:" field in the WSJT main screen,
      above the date/time box, after you enter and look up the call of
      the station you're going to work. If Az is between 0 degrees and
      180 degrees, then the other station is to the EAST of you, and
      YOU, as the more westerly station, transmit first sequence. If Az
      is between 180 and 360 degrees, then the other station is to the
      WEST of you, and HE transmits first sequence.

      It's still good practice to verify who is going first when making
      a schedule, but if the other station indicates unawareness of the
      protocol by suggesting an improper assignment of sequence, gently
      correct him and explain that the MORE WESTERLY station goes FIRST
      unless there is a good reason why not.

      Why IS this important? For one thing, it helps us all to figure
      out who is who during random meteor conditions. Were it not for
      this rule, hearing " ... W1ABC K4DEF W1ABC K4DEF W1ABC ... " would
      give us no clue as to who is transmitting. If we look up these
      stations and learn that W1ABC is in Maine while K4DEF is in
      Virginia, we know that K4DEF should be transmitting first
      sequence.

      A second reason is to reduce local QRM. If two local stations in
      the western US are working to the east, they will automatically be
      transmitting on the same sequence, and they will not interfere
      with each others' reception. Obviously, this doesn't work out as
      well for stations in the middle of the country, as they may be
      working in opposite directions! A little common sense here works
      wonders, but try to stay with the 1st/2nd west/east protocol if at
      all possible.

      A KEY EXCEPTION TO THIS RULE: To avoid confusion and keep contacts
      flowing quickly, a station who is operating as or like a DX
      station (i.e., everybody wants to work him and there is a queue or
      a pileup), it is conventional for the "DX" station to transmit
      first sequence, regardless of his geographical relationship with
      the station(s) working him. Please be aware of this exception and
      don't ask the "DX" station to change to second sequence.

      Bill W5WVO

    • WY5R
      Message 2 of 7 , Feb 1, 2009

        As a rookie on the MS modes, this brings up a question.  If I am calling CQ, what sequence do I use?  Would it be according to my beam heading?

        Thanks for the insight,

        73’s de WY5R – KD

        Message 3 of 7 , Feb 1, 2009
          I would suggest when CQ'ing East.. go 1st.. and when West.. go 2nd.  Another tidbit I found that helped me out a lot when I first started out.. when the Stn you are working adds a bit to Tx3, 4 and 5.. such as R26 KD or RRR KD..  73 KD.. Made it much easier for me with decoding.
          Jerry VE6CPP
          DN39or

          Message 4 of 7 , Feb 1, 2009
            Yes, still use the beam heading, pointing east go first, pointing west
            go 2nd.

            I have a page that I am building http://www.nz3m.com/wsjt.html that
            talks a bit about this. It also has some pointers for newcomers.
            More will be added as I get time.

            73
            Dave NZ3M

            --- In wsjtgroup@yahoogroups.com, "WY5R" <wy5r@...> wrote:

            > As a rookie on the MS modes, this brings up a question. If I am
            calling CQ,
            > what sequence do I use? Would it be according to my beam heading?
            >

            > Thanks for the insight,
            >
            > 73's de WY5R - KD

            On Behalf
            > Of Bill W5WVO
            > Sent: Saturday, January 31, 2009 11:11 PM
            > To: [WSJTGROUP]
            > Subject: [wsjtgroup] Another small matter of protocol
            >

            > I've noticed that more and more people aren't following this point
            > of meteor-scatter protocol: The more westerly station TRANSMITS
            > FIRST SEQUENCE -- i.e., 0 seconds to 30 seconds of each minute.
            > The more easterly station transmits second sequence, from 30
            > seconds to 60 seconds of each minute.
            >
            > (As pointed out in other documents, this rule is used ONLY in
            > North America. In Europe, for example, it is the opposite.)
            >
            > If your knowledge of the geography of North America is a bit
            > spotty, just look at the "Az:" field in the WSJT main screen,
            > above the date/time box, after you enter and look up the call of
            > the station you're going to work. If Az is between 0 degrees and
            > 180 degrees, then the other station is to the EAST of you, and
            > YOU, as the more westerly station, transmit first sequence. If Az
            > is between 180 and 360 degrees, then the other station is to the
            > WEST of you, and HE transmits first sequence.
            >
            > It's still good practice to verify who is going first when making
            > a schedule, but if the other station indicates unawareness of the
            > protocol by suggesting an improper assignment of sequence, gently
            > correct him and explain that the MORE WESTERLY station goes FIRST
            > unless there is a good reason why not.
            >
            > Why IS this important? For one thing, it helps us all to figure
            > out who is who during random meteor conditions. Were it not for
            > this rule, hearing " ... W1ABC K4DEF W1ABC K4DEF W1ABC ... " would
            > give us no clue as to who is transmitting. If we look up these
            > stations and learn that W1ABC is in Maine while K4DEF is in
            > Virginia, we know that K4DEF should be transmitting first
            > sequence.
            >
            > A second reason is to reduce local QRM. If two local stations in
            > the western US are working to the east, they will automatically be
            > transmitting on the same sequence, and they will not interfere
            > with each others' reception. Obviously, this doesn't work out as
            > well for stations in the middle of the country, as they may be
            > working in opposite directions! A little common sense here works
            > wonders, but try to stay with the 1st/2nd west/east protocol if at
            > all possible.
            >
            > A KEY EXCEPTION TO THIS RULE: To avoid confusion and keep contacts
            > flowing quickly, a station who is operating as or like a DX
            > station (i.e., everybody wants to work him and there is a queue or
            > a pileup), it is conventional for the "DX" station to transmit
            > first sequence, regardless of his geographical relationship with
            > the station(s) working him. Please be aware of this exception and
            > don't ask the "DX" station to change to second sequence.
            >
            > Bill W5WVO

          • Jim Forsyth
            Message 5 of 7 , Feb 1, 2009
              Replacing a single space character with two spaces and the letters DE increases the message length by three characters making the protocol that much less efficient. Definitely a move in the wrong direction.

              Jim, AF6O

              Sent: Sunday, February 01, 2009 6:53 AM
              Subject: Re: [wsjtgroup] Another small matter of protocol

              Bill W5WVO writes:
[...]