*Attention* - Yahoo Web Tracking...

  • Nige
    Message 1 of 4 , Jan 1, 2009
      This has just been brought to my attention; you may not be concerned
      but if you value your privacy then it has just been eroded a little
      further...

      73 and HNY all.

      Yahoo is Tracking Group Members

      If you belong to ANY Yahoo Groups - be aware that Yahoo is now using
      "Web Beacons" to track every Yahoo Group user. It's similar to
      cookies, but allows Yahoo to record every website and every group you
      visit, even when you're not connected to Yahoo. Look at their updated
      privacy statement at http://info.yahoo.com/privacy/us/yahoo/details.html

      About half-way down the page, in the section on *cookies*, you will
      see a link that says *WEB BEACONS*.

      Click on the phrase "Web Beacons." On the page that opens, on the left
      find a box entitled "Opt-Out."

      In that section find "opt-out of interest-matched advertising" link
      that will let you "opt-out" of their snooping. Click it and then click
      the opt-out button on the next page.

      Note that Yahoo's invasion of your privacy - and your ability to
      opt-out of it - is not user-specific. It is MACHINE specific. That
      means you will have to opt-out on every computer (and browser) you use.

      Please forward this to your other groups. You might complain, too, but
      I'm not sure if anyone is listening. I remember when they signed all
      users up to get spam and we had to opt out of that a few years ago.

      Related article:
      http://antivirus.about.com/od/spywareandadware/a/yahoobugs.htm
    • kc0hln@mchsi.com
      Message 2 of 4 , Jan 1, 2009
        look at the second paragraph  to me it looks like you still not out of the woods

        When possible, we try to match the ads that we show you to your interests. We call this "ad matching," (sometimes also called ad customization) and we do this in order to make the ads you see more relevant and useful for you. Ad matching uses data about your visits to both Yahoo! and our partner sites and about the ads you view and click.

        We offer you the choice to opt-out of ad matching. If you opt-out the ads we show you will be more general and less relevant to you. Opting-out will not turn off ads.

        We also use web beacons for a number of purposes including research and reporting for some of our clients. If you opt-out out of ad matching, Yahoo! also will not use the information gathered through our web beacons for research and reporting purposes.

        -------------- Original message from "Nige" <nige1@...>: --------------

[...]

      • Al
        Message 3 of 4 , Jan 1, 2009
          Happy New Year All:
          Thanks for the tracking warning. After opting-out, I read the article pointed to at the bottom of the message. (Related article)  The date-line is 2005! So, they have been doing this for quite some time.

          All the best for 2009,
          Al
          wa4ewv

          Message 4 of 4 , Jan 2, 2009
            > This has just been brought to my attention; you may not be concerned
            > but if you value your privacy then it has just been eroded a little
            > further...

            False rumor and urban legend. Yahoo cannot track every site you visit.

            Please read:
            <http://www.privacyclue.com/index.php/20051215/anti-yahoo-urban-legend-circles/>

            73 de
            --