Re: [wsjtgroup] Newbie Question

  • JoAnne Maenpaa
    Message 1 of 4 , Oct 29, 2008
      Hi Jeff,

      > will this work on a 3 element yagi for 6 meters or a dipole or
      > vertical antenna for HF ...

      You won't need to get anything special for new antennas to get started.  I'm using a G5RV dipole at about 30 feet up for HF.  When the band is in there I'm continually amazed by the DX that appears on 14.076 (my favorite WSJT freq.) and 10.138.7 (my favorite WSPR freq.)

      > Which is the easiest to setup WSPR or WSJT ...

      For both of these I just downloaded and installed the software without any special setup.  If you are interested in attempting QSOs then WSJT would be the way to go.  Google around for "soundcard packet" ... that sort of connection between your rig and computer  will get you going in the right direction.

      The guys on the AMSAT IRC channel talked me thru the setup and getting the first signals, etc.  If you have an IRC client /server irc.dishnuts.net and then /join #amsat.
      --
      73 de JoAnne K9JKM
      k9jkm@...