7/5 Random Hour Summary

  • Bruce Brackin
    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 11, 2003
      Thanks to those that sent results even though I was out of pocket!
      Seems like a little more action on the 5th than the last couple or
      weeks. Note about my misadventures at the end

      Reporting
      Station - 2m
      WA5UFH - worked W5SNX and heard Dick calling KC5OAO

      Reporting
      Station - 6m
      K4FJW - out and about but left set monitoring - heard CQ from KC5OAO,
      CQ from WB4ECR and CQ U5 from WO9S
      W0AMT - CQ'ed .270 D5 and heard voice and QSO'ed with WA5UFH on FSK441
      and JT44 on Es
      WA5UFH - Worked W0AMT Es as above, and heard WO9S calling (D3) K0AWU
      via Es, and via rocks also heard
      WO9S - called Jon but no connect and many pings from
      K4FJW and called Tom as well with no luck
      KD5IUG/4 in EM77 - Heard two partials from WA5UFH and good CQ from KC5OAO

      When you go roving and have a beam of any type, take a compass! Was
      able to take my mobile rig, PS, laptop, some mil surplus mast sections
      and my real portable moxon on trip. Able to clamp mast and antenna to
      deck railing and had it up to close to 30 feet. Problem was heavy
      overcast and clouds in Lexington KY Sat AM and my nice but "citified"
      son-in-law don't know his North from South - hi. The Moxon has nice
      wide front lobe but very high F/B ratio so since I was only about 100
      degrees off in my "guide's" guess of directions, I didn't have much luck
      but was nice to hear Tip and James. I had drawn a detailed map of
      neighborhood with MapInfo but it got left in Memphis at wife's place.
      Old but trusty compass is now in tool box. Live and learn as they

      Hope to see many tomorrow morning. - Bruce, KD5IUG