RE: [wsjtgroup] new user

  • Randy Tipton
    Message 1 of 3 , Jul 8, 2003

      Jon the situation you describe is the view of many. I have talked to several here lately on six who said they listened to .270 or .140 and hearing nothing assumes there is no activity. Well, they are partially correct. There are activity periods on Saturday morning designed to create activity on the call frequencies and give newbie’s an opportunity to listen and make contacts. The activity periods are more populated with users in the Eastern half of the USA but there are a few in the west who take advantage of them.  You must also contend with the “Expected Meteor Scatter Range” (i.e. distance) so you will only hear stations on meteor scatter between approximately 300 – 1200 miles. So, you have to be on at the right times and have stations in the “Expected Range” before you ever will copy anyone. (Plus there has to be some meteors!) It is very easy to become discouraged when you spend hours listening and hearing nothing.

      I would suggest you first use schedules with easy contacts to become familiar with FSK441. Go to the Ping Jockey, register your name / grid etc., and post a message stating your desire to make a sked. Example: QRV 6 or 2 meters…. Newbie looking for first Meteor Scatter QSO! (Or something like that) Eventually someone will respond and you are off. (now you know there is someone on the other end for sure!) Make sure you become familiar with the Meteor Scatter Standard Operating Procedures and PJ Etiquettes. (both are linked at the top of the PJ Page)

      Hope this helps, maybe someone within range in this group will email you direct for a sked and maybe more operators will take to calling CQ’s and working random qso’s.

      GL

      Tip

      WA5UFH