VHF contest rules & schedules

  • Dave Miller
    Message 1 of 7 , Sep 7, 2008
      I have been contacted by several stations requesting a pre-arranged
      schedule during the contest on FSK. Before I participate in this I
      wanted to know if anyone knows the "legality" of this type of schedule
      during a contest. Is this common place or is it a gray area or is it
      frowned upon, etc.

      I recently also received an email that spelled out what frequencies
      and procedures would be used by a particular station during the
      contest. This seems a much more appropriate format for a contest
      contact in my opinion since the most important part of the contact,
      the complete pair of call signs, is not revealed in advance.

      Dave, N9SS EN50
    • Bill W5WVO
      Message 2 of 7 , Sep 7, 2008
        Dave,

        This is commonplace practice for meteor-scatter using FSK441. As far as I know it is not a frowned-upon practice in the ARRL test -- at least I don't frown upon it. :-)  Others' opinions may differ, of course. To the best of my knowledge and belief, there has never been anything put out by the ARRL Contest Branch stating that this practice is illegal for the ARRL VHF contests...

        Bill W5WVO

        Message 3 of 7 , Sep 7, 2008
          Pre-contest schedules have a long-standing tradition, especially for MS skeds and long distance tropo attempts.  Such schedules have been going on since the early days fo VHF contests, and I know of no contest rule or contest ruling that prohibits them.

          What is not legal for SO's are during-contest reflector skeds and phone usage to arrange skeds.  The general intent of the current rules is to receive all communication during the contest from the radio, and not from non-radio external sources.  Please note that there is no SO-assisted class in the VHF contests, unlike the development of an assisted class in the HF contests over the last several years.  The VHF rules never changed when an assisted class was implemented in the HF events.

          I will often make pre-contest skeds. To stay on the good side of the rules, I will as a general practice unplug from the internet and phones during the contests.

          Kevin
          W9GKA

          Message 4 of 7 , Sep 8, 2008
            I believe this is OK before the contest.
            The ARRL rules for VHF are split between a lot of places, here is what I
            found:

            From the "ARRL Contest General rules", applying to all entry classes, not
            just single operator:

            "3.10. The use of non-Amateur Radio means of communication (for example,
            Internet or telephone) to solicit a contact (or contacts) during the contest
            period is not permitted."

            The key words here are "during" and "non-amateur radio".
            So setting up skeds beforehand is OK, by any means.
            Going to ping-jockey during the contest to ask someone there to try a
            contact is a no-no.
            But asking someone on 6M to try a sked on 2M would be OK.

            Neither the "General Rules for ARRL Contests on Bands Above 50 MHz" (aka
            VHF rules), nor the " 2008 September VHF QSO Party Rules" had anything to
            add to this.

            73
            Chet, N8RA
            ________________________________

            Message 5 of 7 , Sep 8, 2008
              Making prearranged skeds is absolutely fine as long as the arrangement
              ococcurs prior to the start of the contest, or once the contest has begun
              it would need to use amateur radio to make the sked.

              73 Chris Cox, N0UK email: chrisc@... or chrisc@...
              or chris@...
              Home Page: http://WWW.BritishCarAndDriver.Com http://www.pingjockey.net

              Don't Believe Everything You Think.
            • Bruce Brackin, N5SIX
              Message 6 of 7 , Sep 8, 2008
                As others said "precontest" is the key.

                Many of the contest stations will CQ using the offset calling method
                (up/down) on 50.260 or 144.140 during slack times. See
                http://www.ykc.com/wa5ufh/Misc/SOP_Left.htm for example on how to call
                or answer a offset CQ.

                As Chet said you/they can ask a partner to QSY at end of one run to
                another band. You or they would send "RRR 134" or "73 134" to ask for a
                QSY from 6m to 144.134 on 2m. You might see a QSY embedded in the RRR
                or 73 with the proposed freq or they/you might just send "QSY 134" in
                place of the RRR or 73's. If possible, send a RRR or 73 with QSY or
                freq a couple of rounds to let them know you got their request. Don't
                forget to reset tx message back to #1 when you start other band - been
                there, done that....

                Random contacts during the Sept and Jan ARRL contest count towards the
                WSJTGroup 'Random QSO Award' so watch those calling freqs, particularly
                during the over night times.

                Bruce, N5SIX
              • Dave Miller
                Message 7 of 7 , Sep 8, 2008
                  Thank you everyone for your detailed responses... guess I better get
                  to work setting up my skeds! GL to all

                  de N9SS, Dave EN50dp