Re: [wsjtgroup] GPS Time Software

  • Rex Moncur
    Message 1 of 3 , Jun 22, 2003
      Hi Jon

      As does Mike I use NMEAT time to lock my laptop computer through the serial
      port with a Garmin GPS12 XL for portable operating.

      For my home station I use a HP Z3801A GPS locked time and frequency
      reference with a program called GPScon.

      Interestingly, in comparing the two systems I get a time lock that cycles in
      a saw tooth fashion over a period of 14 to 25 minutes. I have compared
      this to other stations who are not GPS locked and the sawtooth effect is
      only present on the Garmin locked with NMEAT. It seems the saw tooth is a
      maximum of around one second error and has a variable time ranging from 14
      to 22 minutes. What I suspect is that the Garmin only up-dates the time
      when it detects an error of 1 second or more. Of course an error of one
      second is within tolerance for JT44 but still a little annoying when you
      think you are locked to GPS time.

      Other stations in VK have used different handheld GPSs and get larger
      standing errors, for example one GPS seems to reset the time only after
      having done all the other calculations and has a standing error of a few
      seconds. In this case it is possible to fix it with a standing offset.

      I would be interested if other people are finding similar effects and with
      what GPSs.

      73 Rex
      VK7MO