Re: [wsjtgroup] Clock sync

  • Jonathan L. Rosner
    Message 1 of 17 , Sep 2, 2008
      On Tue, 2 Sep 2008, Mike Miller wrote:

      > My computer's clock loses about .175 seconds per minute. Is this more
      > than normal for a PC?
      >
      > I have Dimension 4 correcting the time every 2 minutes but this seems
      > like an unnecessary load on the time server. Is there a way to reduce
      > the clock error? Is there a program that can apply a correction factor
      > locally and reduce the need check the time server?
      >
      > Mike kc9doa

      Even Dimension 4 doesn't necessarily help. I was syncing every 2 minutes
      with Dimension 4 as well. I was using a source at Cornell and it was
      pointed out to me that I was off by a whole 30 seconds! As soon as I
      changed the source, everything was OK. Now I check every once in a while
      with WWV. I can't answer your question about improving the local
      accuracy, however. I think it is a rare PC that keeps good time locally.

      73,
      Jon WO9S
      --
      Jonathan L. Rosner Phone: 773-702-7694
      Enrico Fermi Inst., U. Chicago Fax: 773-702-8038
      Message 2 of 17 , Sep 2, 2008
        The hardware real-time clock (RTC) on your motherboard is basically the equivalent of a cheap battery-operated wristwatch, nowadays all self-contained in a small module, or even embedded in the motherboard chipset. Your computer reads the time from the hardware RTC when it is booted up, and based on this reading, it starts a software RTC service that runs as long as the computer OS is running. The hardware RTC is normally not consulted again until reboot.

        This software RTC that displays time on your desktop is actually a Windows OS service that depends upon the regularity of a BIOS interrupt. As you might imagine, the "regularity" of an interrupt occuring (and being promptly handled) could certainly be affected by any number of factors in the computer's run-time environment.

        If your clock is losing a lot of time WHILE THE COMPUTER IS RUNNING, then there are probably some processes you have invoked that are slowing down the clock.
        It could be that your CPU is loaded up to the gills much of the time by all the stuff you are running simultaneously. If that's the problem, you need to unburden it by closing any unnecessary apps/processes/services. Or maybe it's just time to upgrade your computer to something a lot faster and more capable, something that can keep up with all the stuff you're wanting it to do at the same time. :-)

        There is actually a fair amount of stuff available online about this. Google "RTC losing time" or similar, and do some research.

        Bill W5VWO

        Message 3 of 17 , Sep 2, 2008
          Here's something I just ran across on SmartComputing.com, which I subscribe to:

          "WinXP automatically sets your clock on a weekly basis. Please note, however, that some computers with unusual hardware configurations lose time if you enable automatic synchronization. If your PC loses more than five minutes a day, Microsoft recommends disabling this feature."

          If you are running WinXP (or Vista, presumably, though I don't know), you might want to check and see if you have automatic time synchronization enabled, and if so, turn it off.

          Message 4 of 17 , Sep 4, 2008
            If you're using Dimension 4 or similar time-setting software,
            you need to disable the Windows time-set anyway. They don't play
            well together.

            73, Chuck N6KW

          • Randy Tipton
            Message 5 of 17 , Sep 4, 2008
              I used to run D4 with my old XP Dell PC. I needed to have the time updated
              every 5 minutes in order to have the correct time.

              After changing to "Windows Vista" I no longer use D4. I have the operating
              system reset my clock every 4 hours. The new PC keeps very accurate time.
              (It is a Dell also but much better than the old one) The better clock
              probably not a function of the operating system???

              For information on how to set up the paramemeters using windows Vista, see
              this link...
              http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/windows-vista/dealing-with-windows-vista-time-sync-problems/

              Vista default is 7 days. I suggest following the directions and setting the
              time sync update interval to every hour. If not often enough, then adjust as
              needed. I no longer use D4 thus one less application open!

              Works for me. XP automatic time update was a weak link, Vista much better!

              Tip
              WA5UFH

              > If you're using Dimension 4 or similar time-setting software,
              > you need to disable the Windows time-set anyway. They don't play
              > well together.
              >
              > 73, Chuck N6KW
              >
              > Bill W5WVO wrote:
              >> Here's something I just ran across on SmartComputing.com, which I
              >> subscribe to:
              >>
              >> "/WinXP automatically sets your clock on a weekly basis.* *Please note,
              >> however, that some computers with unusual hardware configurations lose
              >> time if you enable automatic synchronization. If your PC loses more than
              >> five minutes a day, Microsoft recommends disabling this feature/."
              >>
              >> If you are running WinXP (or Vista, presumably, though I don't know),
              >> you might want to check and see if you have automatic
              >> time synchronization enabled, and if so, turn it off.
              >>
              >> Bill W5WVO

            • Mike Miller
              Message 6 of 17 , Sep 4, 2008
                Hi Chuck,

                I'm running W2K so I don't have that problem.

                73, Mike KC9DOA

                On 4 Sep 2008 at 19:40, Charles Miller wrote:

                > If you're using Dimension 4 or similar time-setting software, you
                > need to disable the Windows time-set anyway. They don't play well
                > together.
                >
                > 73, Chuck N6KW

              • k4ymq
                Message 7 of 17 , Sep 4, 2008
                  D4 has been a real stinko as far as getting it to run and continue to
                  run while computer is on. I never had any problem until I got new PC
                  running XP.. D4 would timeout with error msg not able to connect... I
                  updated to ver. 5 which is supposed to run with XP and use the
                  recommened time site (http) also. It works perfect on bootup, but
                  will usually fail on the next attempt to check time. any one else
                  having this problem or had it and resolved the problem.
                  Ira K4YMQ
                  --- In wsjtgroup@yahoogroups.com, "Randy Tipton" <wa5ufh@...> wrote:

                  > I used to run D4 with my old XP Dell PC. I needed to have the time
                  updated
                  > every 5 minutes in order to have the correct time.
                  >
                  > After changing to "Windows Vista" I no longer use D4. I have the
                  operating
                  > system reset my clock every 4 hours. The new PC keeps very accurate
                  time.
                  > (It is a Dell also but much better than the old one) The better
                  clock
                  > probably not a function of the operating system???
                  >
                  > For information on how to set up the paramemeters using windows
                  Vista, see
                  > this link...
                  > http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/windows-vista/dealing-with-windows-
                  vista-time-sync-problems/

                  > Vista default is 7 days. I suggest following the directions and
                  setting the
                  > time sync update interval to every hour. If not often enough, then
                  adjust as
                  > needed. I no longer use D4 thus one less application open!
                  >
                  > Works for me. XP automatic time update was a weak link, Vista much
                  better!

                  > Tip
                  > WA5UFH

                • Al
                  Message 8 of 17 , Sep 4, 2008
                    Hello All:
                    It sounds like all D4 users who are having problems need to change to Automachron from http://oneguycoding.com/
                    I have used it for a long, long time. I use clepsydra.dec.com for the host, but you can use 1.us.pool.ntp.org or 2.us.pool.ntp.org  or 0.us.pool.ntp.org

                    Options are pretty self explanatory. I update every  360 seconds.

                    GL
                    Al WA4EWV

                    D4 has been a real stinko as far as getting it to run and continue to
                    run while computer is on. I never had any problem until I got new PC
                    running XP.. D4 would timeout with error msg not able to connect... I
                    updated to ver. 5 which is supposed to run with XP and use the
                    recommened time site (http) also. It works perfect on bootup, but
                    will usually fail on the next attempt to check time. any one else
                    having this problem or had it and resolved the problem.
                    Ira K4YMQ
                    --- In wsjtgroup@yahoogrou ps.com, "Randy Tipton" <wa5ufh@...> wrote:

                    > I used to run D4 with my old XP Dell PC. I needed to have the time
                    updated
                    > every 5 minutes in order to have the correct time.
                    >
                    > After changing to "Windows Vista" I no longer use D4. I have the
                    operating
                    > system reset my clock every 4 hours. The new PC keeps very accurate
                    time.
                    > (It is a Dell also but much better than the old one) The better
                    clock
                    > probably not a function of the operating system???
                    >
                    > For information on how to set up the paramemeters using windows
                    Vista, see
                    > this link...
                    > http://www.howtogee k.com/howto/ windows-vista/ dealing-with- windows-
                    vista-time-sync- problems/

                    > Vista default is 7 days. I suggest following the directions and
                    setting the
                    > time sync update interval to every hour. If not often enough, then
                    adjust as
                    > needed. I no longer use D4 thus one less application open!
                    >
                    > Works for me. XP automatic time update was a weak link, Vista much
                    better!

                    > Tip
                    > WA5UFH

                  • Barry Garratt
                    Message 9 of 17 , Sep 4, 2008
                      I can't speak for users using Vista but as far as XP goes D4 runs just fine.
                      It and other NTP programs though have a tendency to fight with Windows build in NTP Service.
                      To cure this problem it is only a simple case of going into the SERVICES folder, which is found
                      under ADMINISTRATION TOOLS on the Control Panel. Once there scroll down the list of services
                      to the one labeled WINDOWS TIME. If it is running then first stop the service. Then right click
                      on it, select PROPERTIES and then select DISABLE in the STARTUP TYPE menu option.

                      By doing that the only NTP program running will be D4 or whatever other NTP program you
                      have decided to use.

                      You should disable Windows NTP Service regardless of whatever NTP program you use unless
                      of course you are using the Windows Service as your standard.

                      There are a multitude of agencies providing NTP service around the world so the choice is up
                      to the individual user. The key is to use one that is close to your location. It makes no sense
                      to use one half way across the country just because someone else does. The one I use is only
                      8 miles away at the University of Las Vegas for example.

                      Hope this perhaps helps someone still struggling with timing issues.

                      73,

                      Barry VE3CDX/W7

                      D4 has been a real stinko as far as getting it to run and continue to
                      run while computer is on. I never had any problem until I got new PC
                      running XP.. D4 would timeout with error msg not able to connect... I
                      updated to ver. 5 which is supposed to run with XP and use the
                      recommened time site (http) also. It works perfect on bootup, but
                      will usually fail on the next attempt to check time. any one else
                      having this problem or had it and resolved the problem.
                      Ira K4YMQ
                      --- In wsjtgroup@yahoogrou ps.com, "Randy Tipton" <wa5ufh@...> wrote:

                      > I used to run D4 with my old XP Dell PC. I needed to have the time
                      updated
                      > every 5 minutes in order to have the correct time.
                      >
                      > After changing to "Windows Vista" I no longer use D4. I have the
                      operating
                      > system reset my clock every 4 hours. The new PC keeps very accurate
                      time.
                      > (It is a Dell also but much better than the old one) The better
                      clock
                      > probably not a function of the operating system???
                      >
                      > For information on how to set up the paramemeters using windows
                      Vista, see
                      > this link...
                      > http://www.howtogee k.com/howto/ windows-vista/ dealing-with- windows-
                      vista-time-sync- problems/

                      > Vista default is 7 days. I suggest following the directions and
                      setting the
                      > time sync update interval to every hour. If not often enough, then
                      adjust as
                      > needed. I no longer use D4 thus one less application open!
                      >
                      > Works for me. XP automatic time update was a weak link, Vista much
                      better!

                      > Tip
                      > WA5UFH

                    • Norm Alexander
                      Message 10 of 17 , Sep 4, 2008
                         Thanks for the info Tip. I had D4 running for about 7 years successfully until I installed a later version of McAfee Firewall.
                        Try as I could, it would just not work. Tried typing addresses into it, but no go. The secret is in the info contained in the
                        howtogeek link you sent. Specifically, checking the box next to network time protocol port 123. Now I can use my firewall again.
                        Norm kc6zwt.
                        PS I am using Win XP.

                        > If you're using Dimension 4 or similar time-setting software,
                        > you need to disable the Windows time-set anyway. They don't play
                        > well together.
                        >
                        > 73, Chuck N6KW
                        >
                        > Bill W5WVO wrote:
                        >> Here's something I just ran across on SmartComputing. com, which I
                        >> subscribe to:
                        >>
                        >> "/WinXP automatically sets your clock on a weekly basis.* *Please note,
                        >> however, that some computers with unusual hardware configurations lose
                        >> time if you enable automatic synchronization. If your PC loses more than
                        >> five minutes a day, Microsoft recommends disabling this feature/."
                        >>
                        >> If you are running WinXP (or Vista, presumably, though I don't know),
                        >> you might want to check and see if you have automatic
                        >> time synchronization enabled, and if so, turn it off.
                        >>
                        >> Bill W5WVO

                      • Bill W5WVO
                        Message 11 of 17 , Sep 4, 2008
                          Very good advice from Barry re: turning off the XP/Vista time service IF you are going to use a third-party SNTP time client like D4. I forgot about that, because my radio computer runs Windows 2000, which doesn't offer that service anyway. I think I saw a post from somebody else who mentioned the same thing. :-)

                          Much of what Windows (any vintage) spends its CPU cycles on BY DEFAULT is unnecessary and gratuitous. I optimized my Win2K machine to be stripped-down and fast. Somewhere in the ham radio Internet world, I found a link to a web page that recommends a large number of "strip-it-down" settings in Windows that will make it much more efficient -- getting rid of things like screen transition effects, sounds, various OS services that are defaulted to run automatically that you really don't need, etc. I wish I could remember where I found that, but perhaps somebody else will.

                          Consequently, my Win2K machine keeps extremely accurate time even without a time client, because I'm only running stuff that I really need, and the software RTC doesn't get held off by other processes. My CPU usage is pretty low, considering as how this is a fairly elderly machine (dual-processor AMD Athlon in a Tyan Tiger motherboard, built around 2000) -- 25% to 35% while running WSJT in FSK monitor mode, IE6 running PJ, Outlook Express, Logic 7 logging program, MapSource GPS mapping application, the aforementioned D4 SNTP client, DU Meter, Symantec Antivirus autoprotect, and so on.

                          You can also save on TCP/IP traffic overhead by keeping your machine cleaned up and free of tracking cookies and other even more nefarious malware. All this stuff does for you is wastes cycles -- at best. At worst, it can bring an otherwise reasonably fast machine to its knees. Run a good malware scanner/cleaner regularly.

                          Bill W5WVO

                          D4 has been a real stinko as far as getting it to run and continue to
                          run while computer is on. I never had any problem until I got new PC
                          running XP.. D4 would timeout with error msg not able to connect... I
                          updated to ver. 5 which is supposed to run with XP and use the
                          recommened time site (http) also. It works perfect on bootup, but
                          will usually fail on the next attempt to check time. any one else
                          having this problem or had it and resolved the problem.
                          Ira K4YMQ
                          --- In wsjtgroup@yahoogrou ps.com, "Randy Tipton" <wa5ufh@...> wrote:

                          > I used to run D4 with my old XP Dell PC. I needed to have the time
                          updated
                          > every 5 minutes in order to have the correct time.
                          >
                          > After changing to "Windows Vista" I no longer use D4. I have the
                          operating
                          > system reset my clock every 4 hours. The new PC keeps very accurate
                          time.
                          > (It is a Dell also but much better than the old one) The better
                          clock
                          > probably not a function of the operating system???
                          >
                          > For information on how to set up the paramemeters using windows
                          Vista, see
                          > this link...
                          > http://www.howtogee k.com/howto/ windows-vista/ dealing-with- windows-
                          vista-time-sync- problems/

                          > Vista default is 7 days. I suggest following the directions and
                          setting the
                          > time sync update interval to every hour. If not often enough, then
                          adjust as
                          > needed. I no longer use D4 thus one less application open!
                          >
                          > Works for me. XP automatic time update was a weak link, Vista much
                          better!

                          > Tip
                          > WA5UFH

                        • Russ K2TXB
                          Message 12 of 17 , Sep 4, 2008
                            I've  been running D4 with Win XP for years and nary a problem.  AFAIK it is not a special version of D4 either, I think I copied it from an old W2K system.  The only thing I have done is to use services manager to permanently disable Windows Time service so there is no confilct.  D4 comes starts automatically when the computer boots, and usually has to sit there a while until the networking comes online before it can sync with the time service.  Once it does, I minimize it and never think about it again.  I have it set to sync every 15 minutes.  I leave my main system up for days or even weeks at a time and it never stops working.

                            So, I can definitely say that D4 will work well with XP.  In your case there is obviously something different about your computer or your software setup.  I usually keep my XP up to date with windows update, but not automatically.  I just do it manually every few weeks.  I don't like my computers doing things when I did not tell them to.

                            I try hard to reject all the various bells and whistles that everyone wants to download (for free) when you are getting something off the internet (like google toolbar, yahoo search, etc. etc.).  I use an older version of Norton Internet security that does not have all the newer (non) features.  Periodically I go through the list of installed programs (control panel/add remove software) and remove anything that I did not specifically install, or that I did install and no longer need.  I feel it is important to keep the amount of running processes down to a minimum, so I usually disable all the processes that check for newer versions of various installed software (like HP printers, Java, etc, etc.).  If I am having a problem with something then I will search and find any updates myself.  Otherwise let well enough alone....

                            Paying this level of attention to my systems seems to pay off because I usually have less problems than I see people reporting on the various reflectors.

                            It does require some dedication and time to keep on top of all that, but learning how to do it is worth the effort.

                            73, Russ K2TXB

                            D4 has been a real stinko as far as getting it to run and continue to
                            run while computer is on. I never had any problem until I got new PC
                            running XP.. D4 would timeout with error msg not able to connect... I
                            updated to ver. 5 which is supposed to run with XP and use the
                            recommened time site (http) also. It works perfect on bootup, but
                            will usually fail on the next attempt to check time. any one else
                            having this problem or had it and resolved the problem.
                            Ira K4YMQ
                            --- In wsjtgroup@yahoogrou ps.com, "Randy Tipton" <wa5ufh@...> wrote:

                            > I used to run D4 with my old XP Dell PC. I needed to have the time
                            updated
                            > every 5 minutes in order to have the correct time.
                            >
                            > After changing to "Windows Vista" I no longer use D4. I have the
                            operating
                            > system reset my clock every 4 hours. The new PC keeps very accurate
                            time.
                            > (It is a Dell also but much better than the old one) The better
                            clock
                            > probably not a function of the operating system???
                            >
                            > For information on how to set up the paramemeters using windows
                            Vista, see
                            > this link...
                            > http://www.howtogee k.com/howto/ windows-vista/ dealing-with- windows-
                            vista-time-sync- problems/

                            > Vista default is 7 days. I suggest following the directions and
                            setting the
                            > time sync update interval to every hour. If not often enough, then
                            adjust as
                            > needed. I no longer use D4 thus one less application open!
                            >
                            > Works for me. XP automatic time update was a weak link, Vista much
                            better!

                            > Tip
                            > WA5UFH

                          • Harry Popov
                            Message 13 of 17 , Sep 5, 2008
                              Hi All,

                              On Thu, 2008-09-04 at 17:19 -0500, Al wrote:
                              > Hello All:
                              > It sounds like all D4 users who are having problems need to change to
                              > Automachron from http://oneguycoding.com/
                              > Al WA4EWV

                              I use to install Abouttime on computers where were encountered problems
                              with D4. Abouttime works very fine either as client or as server. Here
                              is the home page:
                              http://www.arachnoid.com/abouttime/

                              73, Harry LZ1BB

                            • john flinn w9se
                              Message 14 of 17 , Aug 1, 2011
                                Hi All,
                                     Can anyone please supply me with available computer clock sync programs?
                                Tnx 73
                                John W9SE
                              • Lance Collister, W7GJ
                                Message 15 of 17 , Aug 1, 2011
                                  For syncing from the internet, I use Dimension 4, but I know there are others....

                                  http://www.thinkman.com/dimension4/index.htm

                                  GL and VY 73, Lance

                                  --
                                  Lance Collister, W7GJ
                                  (ex WA3GPL, WA1JXN, WA1JXN/C6A, ZF2OC/ZF8, E51SIX, 3D2LR, 5W0GJ)

                                  page (above)!
                                • rein0zn@ix.netcom.com
                                  Message 16 of 17 , Aug 1, 2011
                                    HI John,

                                    Try this. It does work without having Internet access ( it's GPS based )

                                    http://www.iz2bkt.com/BktTimeSync/BktTimeSyncEn.htm

                                    With internet :

                                    D4. Google "Dimension4.5"

                                    73 Rein W6SZ