RE: [wsjtgroup] JT65 & JT6M QSO's in ADIF files for upload to LoTW and eQSL

  • Chet, N8RA
    Message 1 of 12 , Aug 25, 2008
      Thanks Larry for this very good explanation.
      My logging program doesn't currently have all the NEW modes, so I guess it is time for me to update it.

      73,
      Chet, N8RA

      Message 2 of 12 , Aug 25, 2008
        Chet,

        FWIW, some of the logging programs will accept "DATA" as a mode (or is
        it "DIGITAL"?). Depending on how it handles this, you may still have to
        set the preferences in TSQL for the resulting ADIF file mode.

        I use AClog from N3FJP because it is so versatile. It's certainly not a
        contesters log but it will allow all the WSJT modes to be used and
        handled correctly. I've found that for my VHF/UHF/EME/MS work the most
        popular computer logs are worthless. When I do need a contest log such
        as N1MM, I can merge the ADIF into AClog afterwards and maintain one
        complete continuous logbook.

        Larry

        Larry - W7IUV
        DN07dg
        http://w7iuv.com

        Chet, N8RA wrote:
        > Thanks Larry for this very good explanation.
        > My logging program doesn't currently have all the NEW modes, so I guess
        > it is time for me to update it.

      • Al
        Message 3 of 12 , Aug 25, 2008
          Hello All:
          Using Larry's suggestion, I mapped all of my WSJT modes to "DATA". Big mistake. The TSQL accepts JT65 as a mode, so the mapping should be (for example) JT65B to JT65.
          I had also mapped FSK441 to DATA. TSQS accepts FSK441 also.

          Now there are two entries for each WSJT qso on LoTW.
          AL
          WA4EWV

          Chet, N8RA wrote:
          > Thanks Larry for this very good explanation.
          > My logging program doesn't currently have all the NEW modes, so I guess
          > it is time for me to update it.

        • Larry
          Message 4 of 12 , Aug 25, 2008
            The correct mode designations are JT65A, JT65B, JT65C, JT6M, and
            FSK441A. The latest version of TSQL does indeed recognize FSK441 and
            JT65 without the letter suffix.

            Lately the "A" has been dropped from FSK441(A) in general usage since
            there are no longer any other sub modes. However since I use and log
            JT65A, B, and C, as well as JT6M I have mapped those into the "DATA"
            mode as well as FSK441A. Now, no matter what I put in my log, it all
            comes out right. If you have never logged the A,B,C then no problem
            other than not being "DATA".

            As far as I know, the ARRL award programs do no recognize the individual
            WSJT modes, so if the LOTW entry is to be used for an award it should be
            mapped as "DATA". Maybe the award software at ARRL will map it
            afterward, maybe not. All my LOTW WSJT QSL's are "DATA", I have none
            that have come through with any other designation.

            Having two entries in LOTW is not a issue. It is rather commonplace. At
            least you know the other guy has a chance to use the QSL!

            Larry - W7IUV
            DN07dg
            http://w7iuv.com

            Al wrote:
            > Hello All:
            > Using Larry's suggestion, I mapped all of my WSJT modes to "DATA". Big
            > mistake. The TSQL accepts JT65 as a mode, so the mapping should be (for
            > example) JT65B to JT65.
            > I had also mapped FSK441 to DATA. TSQS accepts FSK441 also.
            >
            > Now there are two entries for each WSJT qso on LoTW.
            > AL
            > WA4EWV
          • Al
            Message 5 of 12 , Aug 25, 2008
              Hi Larry:
              I hope you didn't think I was "slam-dunking" you! If so, I am sorry. That
              was not my intent.

              Maybe if the ARRL would get off of it's collective duff and include EVERY
              mode it would eliminate a lot of confusion as to what actual mode was used
              to make the contact. (Now that is a "slam-dunk" hi hi.)

              By the way, after exporting my log into ADIF and converting it to TQ8, I
              found a heck of a lot of errors in my log - things like FSK144 instead of
              441. Frequencies were not standard - like 0.50260 for 6 meters. It took a
              bit of keyboard work, but it is all correct now.

              Best 73,
              Al

              > The correct mode designations are JT65A, JT65B, JT65C, JT6M, and FSK441A.
              > The latest version of TSQL does indeed recognize FSK441 and JT65 without
              > the letter suffix.
              >
              > Lately the "A" has been dropped from FSK441(A) in general usage since
              > there are no longer any other sub modes. However since I use and log
              > JT65A, B, and C, as well as JT6M I have mapped those into the "DATA" mode
              > as well as FSK441A. Now, no matter what I put in my log, it all comes out
              > right. If you have never logged the A,B,C then no problem other than not
              > being "DATA".
              >
              > As far as I know, the ARRL award programs do no recognize the individual
              > WSJT modes, so if the LOTW entry is to be used for an award it should be
              > mapped as "DATA". Maybe the award software at ARRL will map it afterward,
              > maybe not. All my LOTW WSJT QSL's are "DATA", I have none that have come
              > through with any other designation.
              >
              > Having two entries in LOTW is not a issue. It is rather commonplace. At
              > least you know the other guy has a chance to use the QSL!
              >
              > Larry - W7IUV
              > DN07dg
              > http://w7iuv.com
              >
              > Al wrote:
              >> Hello All:
              >> Using Larry's suggestion, I mapped all of my WSJT modes to "DATA". Big
              >> mistake. The TSQL accepts JT65 as a mode, so the mapping should be (for
              >> example) JT65B to JT65.
              >> I had also mapped FSK441 to DATA. TSQS accepts FSK441 also.
              >> Now there are two entries for each WSJT qso on LoTW.
              >> AL
              >> WA4EWV

            • Larry
              Message 6 of 12 , Aug 25, 2008
                Al,

                No problem, I just wanted to make sure everyone had all the details.
                This stuff is not intuitively obvious and having it documented is to
                everyones benefit. We went through all this some time back but it bears
                repeating.

                In any case, as you found out, the process of creating an ADIF and
                running it through TSQL certainly finds a lot of your log errors! BTW,
                the only way to correct an error once it is uploaded to LOTW is to
                create an new log entry and upload it. This results in multiple LOTW
                entries for the same contact, one or more with incorrect data and one
                with hopefully correct data. It is a pain to get going but once you
                figure out all the "gotcha's", it is a good thing.

                Larry

                Larry - W7IUV
                DN07dg
                http://w7iuv.com

                Al wrote:
                > Hi Larry:
                > I hope you didn't think I was "slam-dunking" you! If so, I am sorry.
                > That was not my intent.
                >
                > Maybe if the ARRL would get off of it's collective duff and include
                > EVERY mode it would eliminate a lot of confusion as to what actual mode
                > was used to make the contact. (Now that is a "slam-dunk" hi hi.)
                >
                > By the way, after exporting my log into ADIF and converting it to TQ8, I
                > found a heck of a lot of errors in my log - things like FSK144 instead
                > of 441. Frequencies were not standard - like 0.50260 for 6 meters. It
                > took a bit of keyboard work, but it is all correct now.
                >
                > Best 73,
                > Al
              • Russ K2TXB
                Message 7 of 12 , Aug 25, 2008
                  Al wrote:

                  Maybe if the ARRL would get off of it's collective duff and include
                  EVERY
                  mode it would eliminate a lot of confusion as to what actual mode
                  was used
                  to make the contact. (Now that is a "slam-dunk" hi hi.)

                  Al, I agree with you completely. I haven't looked lately, but 3-4 years ago
                  I was considering adding LOTW export to my logging program. I went to the
                  ARRL's published LOTW development web site and forum and posted questions
                  that were never answered. Then I noticed that there had been no new traffic
                  or files added to that site for about 2 years. I guess the LOTW programmer
                  is part time and his main duties as Newington Dog Catcher keep him too busy
                  to bother with LOTW development very often. From what I have read I don't
                  think LOTW has changed much since that time. I decided I did not need to
                  export my 25k VHF & above contacts to LOTW anyway...

                  If they ever get their act together and properly support VHF activity
                  including digital modes then I might reconsider.

                  73, Russ K2TXB
                • Chet, N8RA
                  Message 8 of 12 , Aug 25, 2008
                    After reading some of this discussion, I am thinking that what I have been doing is not too bad.

                    Why would I expect the ARRL to keep track of whether I was on AM, USB, LSB, NBFM, WBFM, Hi-Fi AM or one of the gazillion digital or data modes.?  What value would that be?

                    In my notes entry in my logger, I put the exact WSJT mode I am using, and indicate whether this was meteor scatter, E's, tropo, or whatever so that when(if?) I ever have enough legit contact to apply for an award, I will know exactly what I have. I'm not looking to the ARRL to automate that for me.

                    Chet, N8RA