RE: [wsjtgroup] JT65 & JT6M QSO's in ADIF files for upload to LoTW and eQSL

  • Chet, N8RA
    Message 1 of 12 , Aug 25, 2008
      Hi Mark,

      It gets a bit cumbersome.
      Here is what I do:

      In my master logging program I set the mode for WSJT contacts to RTTY, and then fill in a note entry for that qso to be the exact WSJT mode. The ADIF file will then generate without error, and LOTW will accept it. LOTW maps all digital qsos into  the DATA family anyway.

      73,
      Chet, N8RA

      Message 2 of 12 , Aug 25, 2008
        -I use win-eqf and found that for WSJT contacts that if I use FSK for
        the mode both LOTW and E-QSL will accept upload with no problem
        Ira
        K4YMQ
        -- In wsjtgroup@yahoogroups.com, "Chet, N8RA" <chetsubaccount@...>
        wrote:

        > Hi Mark,
        >
        > It gets a bit cumbersome.
        > Here is what I do:
        >
        > In my master logging program I set the mode for WSJT contacts to
        RTTY, and
        > then fill in a note entry for that qso to be the exact WSJT mode.
        The ADIF
        > file will then generate without error, and LOTW will accept it.
        LOTW maps
        > all digital qsos into the DATA family anyway.
        > See https://p1k.arrl.org/lotw/faq#modes
        >
        > 73,
        > Chet, N8RA
        >
        > _____

        On Behalf
        > Of Mark Hambrice
        > Sent: Monday, August 25, 2008 12:17 PM
        > To: wsjtgroup@yahoogroups.com
        > Subject: [wsjtgroup] JT65 & JT6M QSO's in ADIF files for upload to
        LoTW and
        > eQSL
        >

        > How are JT65 and JT6M QSO's being logged for upload to LoTW and
        eQSL?
        > When I create an ADIF file, I get errors for these two modes.
        >
        > Thanks,
        > Mark, KØXXX

      • Larry
        Message 3 of 12 , Aug 25, 2008
          The ARRL award programs treat RTTY and DATA differently. It is not a
          good idea to log DATA modes such as JT65 as an RTTY contact.

          Assuming your logging software is compatible with "NEW" modes, just log
          them as JT65B, JT6M, FSK441 etc. When you export them in ADIF format
          they should still be the same modes.

          Now in the TSQL software you need to map those modes into the DATA mode.
          When you first open TSQL, click on the "File" pulldown menu then click
          on "Preferences". When the "Preferences" window opens, click on "ADIF
          Modes". Next click on the "ADD" box. When the "Add ADIF mode" window
          opens, type JT6M (or what ever mode you need) into the "ADIF mode" box.
          Next click on DATA in the "resulting TSQL mode" box. Repeat for all the
          modes you need.

          Now when you run your ADIF file through TSQL, the JT modes will be
          automatically and correctly mapped into the DATA mode. This keeps the
          ARRL systems happy and keeps your own log accurate.

          Larry

          Larry - W7IUV
          DN07dg
          http://w7iuv.com

          Chet, N8RA wrote:

          > Hi Mark,
          >
          > It gets a bit cumbersome.
          > Here is what I do:
          >
          > In my master logging program I set the mode for WSJT contacts to RTTY,
          > and then fill in a note entry for that qso to be the exact WSJT mode.
          > The ADIF file will then generate without error, and LOTW will accept it.
          > LOTW maps all digital qsos into the DATA family anyway.
          > See https://p1k.arrl.org/lotw/faq#modes
          > <https://p1k.arrl.org/lotw/faq#modes>
          >
          > 73,
          > Chet, N8RA

        • Chet, N8RA
          Message 4 of 12 , Aug 25, 2008
            Thanks Larry for this very good explanation.
            My logging program doesn't currently have all the NEW modes, so I guess it is time for me to update it.

            73,
            Chet, N8RA

            Chet, N8RA wrote:

            > Hi Mark,
            >
            > It gets a bit
            cumbersome.

            href="https://p1k.arrl.org/lotw/faq#modes">https://p1k. arrl.org/ lotw/faq# modes

            Message 5 of 12 , Aug 25, 2008
              Chet,

              FWIW, some of the logging programs will accept "DATA" as a mode (or is
              it "DIGITAL"?). Depending on how it handles this, you may still have to
              set the preferences in TSQL for the resulting ADIF file mode.

              I use AClog from N3FJP because it is so versatile. It's certainly not a
              contesters log but it will allow all the WSJT modes to be used and
              handled correctly. I've found that for my VHF/UHF/EME/MS work the most
              popular computer logs are worthless. When I do need a contest log such
              as N1MM, I can merge the ADIF into AClog afterwards and maintain one
              complete continuous logbook.

              Larry

              Larry - W7IUV
              DN07dg
              http://w7iuv.com

              Chet, N8RA wrote:
              > Thanks Larry for this very good explanation.
              > My logging program doesn't currently have all the NEW modes, so I guess
              > it is time for me to update it.

            • Al
              Message 6 of 12 , Aug 25, 2008
                Hello All:
                Using Larry's suggestion, I mapped all of my WSJT modes to "DATA". Big mistake. The TSQL accepts JT65 as a mode, so the mapping should be (for example) JT65B to JT65.
                I had also mapped FSK441 to DATA. TSQS accepts FSK441 also.

                Now there are two entries for each WSJT qso on LoTW.
                AL
                WA4EWV

                Chet, N8RA wrote:
                > Thanks Larry for this very good explanation.
                > My logging program doesn't currently have all the NEW modes, so I guess
                > it is time for me to update it.

              • Larry
                Message 7 of 12 , Aug 25, 2008
                  The correct mode designations are JT65A, JT65B, JT65C, JT6M, and
                  FSK441A. The latest version of TSQL does indeed recognize FSK441 and
                  JT65 without the letter suffix.

                  Lately the "A" has been dropped from FSK441(A) in general usage since
                  there are no longer any other sub modes. However since I use and log
                  JT65A, B, and C, as well as JT6M I have mapped those into the "DATA"
                  mode as well as FSK441A. Now, no matter what I put in my log, it all
                  comes out right. If you have never logged the A,B,C then no problem
                  other than not being "DATA".

                  As far as I know, the ARRL award programs do no recognize the individual
                  WSJT modes, so if the LOTW entry is to be used for an award it should be
                  mapped as "DATA". Maybe the award software at ARRL will map it
                  afterward, maybe not. All my LOTW WSJT QSL's are "DATA", I have none
                  that have come through with any other designation.

                  Having two entries in LOTW is not a issue. It is rather commonplace. At
                  least you know the other guy has a chance to use the QSL!

                  Larry - W7IUV
                  DN07dg
                  http://w7iuv.com

                  Al wrote:
                  > Hello All:
                  > Using Larry's suggestion, I mapped all of my WSJT modes to "DATA". Big
                  > mistake. The TSQL accepts JT65 as a mode, so the mapping should be (for
                  > example) JT65B to JT65.
                  > I had also mapped FSK441 to DATA. TSQS accepts FSK441 also.
                  >
                  > Now there are two entries for each WSJT qso on LoTW.
                  > AL
                  > WA4EWV
                • Al
                  Message 8 of 12 , Aug 25, 2008
                    Hi Larry:
                    I hope you didn't think I was "slam-dunking" you! If so, I am sorry. That
                    was not my intent.

                    Maybe if the ARRL would get off of it's collective duff and include EVERY
                    mode it would eliminate a lot of confusion as to what actual mode was used
                    to make the contact. (Now that is a "slam-dunk" hi hi.)

                    By the way, after exporting my log into ADIF and converting it to TQ8, I
                    found a heck of a lot of errors in my log - things like FSK144 instead of
                    441. Frequencies were not standard - like 0.50260 for 6 meters. It took a
                    bit of keyboard work, but it is all correct now.

                    Best 73,
                    Al

                    > The correct mode designations are JT65A, JT65B, JT65C, JT6M, and FSK441A.
                    > The latest version of TSQL does indeed recognize FSK441 and JT65 without
                    > the letter suffix.
                    >
                    > Lately the "A" has been dropped from FSK441(A) in general usage since
                    > there are no longer any other sub modes. However since I use and log
                    > JT65A, B, and C, as well as JT6M I have mapped those into the "DATA" mode
                    > as well as FSK441A. Now, no matter what I put in my log, it all comes out
                    > right. If you have never logged the A,B,C then no problem other than not
                    > being "DATA".
                    >
                    > As far as I know, the ARRL award programs do no recognize the individual
                    > WSJT modes, so if the LOTW entry is to be used for an award it should be
                    > mapped as "DATA". Maybe the award software at ARRL will map it afterward,
                    > maybe not. All my LOTW WSJT QSL's are "DATA", I have none that have come
                    > through with any other designation.
                    >
                    > Having two entries in LOTW is not a issue. It is rather commonplace. At
                    > least you know the other guy has a chance to use the QSL!
                    >
                    > Larry - W7IUV
                    > DN07dg
                    > http://w7iuv.com
                    >
                    > Al wrote:
                    >> Hello All:
                    >> Using Larry's suggestion, I mapped all of my WSJT modes to "DATA". Big
                    >> mistake. The TSQL accepts JT65 as a mode, so the mapping should be (for
                    >> example) JT65B to JT65.
                    >> I had also mapped FSK441 to DATA. TSQS accepts FSK441 also.
                    >> Now there are two entries for each WSJT qso on LoTW.
                    >> AL
                    >> WA4EWV

                  • Larry
                    Message 9 of 12 , Aug 25, 2008
                      Al,

                      No problem, I just wanted to make sure everyone had all the details.
                      This stuff is not intuitively obvious and having it documented is to
                      everyones benefit. We went through all this some time back but it bears
                      repeating.

                      In any case, as you found out, the process of creating an ADIF and
                      running it through TSQL certainly finds a lot of your log errors! BTW,
                      the only way to correct an error once it is uploaded to LOTW is to
                      create an new log entry and upload it. This results in multiple LOTW
                      entries for the same contact, one or more with incorrect data and one
                      with hopefully correct data. It is a pain to get going but once you
                      figure out all the "gotcha's", it is a good thing.

                      Larry

                      Larry - W7IUV
                      DN07dg
                      http://w7iuv.com

                      Al wrote:
                      > Hi Larry:
                      > I hope you didn't think I was "slam-dunking" you! If so, I am sorry.
                      > That was not my intent.
                      >
                      > Maybe if the ARRL would get off of it's collective duff and include
                      > EVERY mode it would eliminate a lot of confusion as to what actual mode
                      > was used to make the contact. (Now that is a "slam-dunk" hi hi.)
                      >
                      > By the way, after exporting my log into ADIF and converting it to TQ8, I
                      > found a heck of a lot of errors in my log - things like FSK144 instead
                      > of 441. Frequencies were not standard - like 0.50260 for 6 meters. It
                      > took a bit of keyboard work, but it is all correct now.
                      >
                      > Best 73,
                      > Al
                    • Russ K2TXB
                      Message 10 of 12 , Aug 25, 2008
                        Al wrote:

                        Maybe if the ARRL would get off of it's collective duff and include
                        EVERY
                        mode it would eliminate a lot of confusion as to what actual mode
                        was used
                        to make the contact. (Now that is a "slam-dunk" hi hi.)

                        Al, I agree with you completely. I haven't looked lately, but 3-4 years ago
                        I was considering adding LOTW export to my logging program. I went to the
                        ARRL's published LOTW development web site and forum and posted questions
                        that were never answered. Then I noticed that there had been no new traffic
                        or files added to that site for about 2 years. I guess the LOTW programmer
                        is part time and his main duties as Newington Dog Catcher keep him too busy
                        to bother with LOTW development very often. From what I have read I don't
                        think LOTW has changed much since that time. I decided I did not need to
                        export my 25k VHF & above contacts to LOTW anyway...

                        If they ever get their act together and properly support VHF activity
                        including digital modes then I might reconsider.

                        73, Russ K2TXB
                      • Chet, N8RA
                        Message 11 of 12 , Aug 25, 2008
                          After reading some of this discussion, I am thinking that what I have been doing is not too bad.

                          Why would I expect the ARRL to keep track of whether I was on AM, USB, LSB, NBFM, WBFM, Hi-Fi AM or one of the gazillion digital or data modes.?  What value would that be?

                          In my notes entry in my logger, I put the exact WSJT mode I am using, and indicate whether this was meteor scatter, E's, tropo, or whatever so that when(if?) I ever have enough legit contact to apply for an award, I will know exactly what I have. I'm not looking to the ARRL to automate that for me.

                          Chet, N8RA