Virgo, and other software tools

  • Les Rayburn
    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 14, 2008
      As a newcomer to Meteor Scatter and WSJT, I'm also interested in hearing from experienced operators about how they interpret the data on Virgo. It certainly can be confusing at first. It's also easy to take for granted that 'everyone knows about this stuff". I hadn't even heard of Virgo until I'd made over twenty M/S contacts and someone mentioned it on Ping Jockey.

      Also, I'm interested in hearing what software others use for predicting the probability of a successful contact between two stations, calculating the peak of a given shower, etc. Most of the stuff I can find on the web was written in DOS. Hard to believe that someone has created updated tools since then...but maybe. Can some of the experienced folks tell us what you're using in your shack?

      For those interested in learning more about the physics of meteor scatter, I was pointed towards an out of print league publication, called, "Beyond the Line of Sight". Which contains reprints of QST articles touching on all forms of VHF propagation including Sporadic E, Tropo, Meteor Scatter, and EME. I found several copies by searching on Amazon.com. It's one of the better VHF/UHF publications that I've come across.

      Having a ball on WSJT!

      73,

      Les Rayburn, N1LF
      EM63nf