Re: 1501.3 Miles / 2416.157km HSMS Contact Completed !!!

  • Jerry Siegmund
    Message 1 of 7 , Aug 13, 2008
      What by chance, is the Record for Terrestrial on 2M if you would know? The only 'Really Good One' I have.. (that just sorrta 'Popped Up') was during the ARRL June Contest. I use Kenwood Single Band Rigs.. was working 6M SSB when I heard W5DDR in NM on 2M SSB! We completed the exchange, then chatted for a bit as to where everyone was.. and both agreed they were on 6M missing the Prop on 2M.. a bit over 1300mi for me.. with 2X13B2's at 25/35'.. and 150W.. So was a 'memorable accomplishment' in my Record Book anyway! (he was an honest 5/7 to 5/9+ on the S Meter too!)
      My Best MS on 2M was with N0PB EM39wo at 1229mi (same set up as above!) Have a 70W PS to Run my 300W Mirage on its way! And putting up 4x2M12's at 35/45'.. So chasing the 1502 shortly!
      Congrats on the 'Terrific Feat' to Both You Guys.. gonna have Many Chasing That Now!
      73
      Jerry VE6CPP
      DN39or22kh
    • dougwe@comcast.net
      Message 2 of 7 , Aug 14, 2008
        Outstanding effort!  Congratulations to both of you.

        Doug
        K7IP
        CN87vv

        From: "Randy Tipton" <wa5ufh@...>

        I have copied this from Bob and share it with his permission. Don't forget
        to turn in your Perseids contacts for the databases. Go to the wsjtgroup
        webpages and look under "Databases" to see what information you need to
        submit plus see what has been reported.

        Snip:
        Last night 8/13/08 at 0526Z Larry W7IUV and I completed from EN41vr to
        DM07dg, a new personal best for both of us. He was my 47th state
        terrestrial! This was post peak (allegedly) Perseids for sure. Best from
        him was +5 on calls, +8 on R26 and a 6 second 73 burn at 0527! A 1491 mile
        distance was computed by my Buckmaster CDROM call sign database and this was
        the most conservative calc we got.

        BD2004 W9IP/W1GHZ 's 2004 grid/grid calculator from the NEWS website

        http://www.newsvhf. com/vhf-soft. html

        shows the 6 digit center to 6 digit center at 1497miles. Larry's WinGrid
        program said 1497 also, but my WSJT program version said 1529!! This was
        quite a difference. Obviously there is more to this stuff than meets the
        eye! Of course I realized that it can be off by a few miles depending on
        our exact location within the 6 digit grid, but these numbers were all over
        the map. As an engineer I was determined to find the find the right number
        by using actual Lat/long instead.

        Now this is really cool. I went on the Google maps grid calculator:

        http://www.dxzone. com/cgi-bin/ dir/jump2. cgi?ID=13877

        I steered the map around and found the base of my tower is at 41.7424 N and
        90.1297N. Previously I'd checked this by other means.

        I first calculated the distance from my tower to Larry's Lat/Long in QRZ and
        that came out to 1501.361 miles! But I wanted to be sure a nd get it even
        closer since sometimes the information found in the callsign databases can
        be very wrong. So using Larry's lat/long from QRZ and the pictures of his
        QTH on his website

        http://www.w7iuv. com/

        I found his house on the Google satellite map and determined that his EME
        tower base is at 47.2595 and 119.7241 (both within 0.0001 degree).

        A run with the W9IP calculator again determined that tower to tower we'd
        just worked 1501.330 miles or 2416.157 km!!!! Very close! Then in an
        email Larry gave me slightly different numbers directly from his GPS:

        47� 15.564' N and 119 in BD 2004 � 43.463' W

        and that calculated out in W9IP to 1501.343 miles, or within about 70 feet
        of what I'd determined! Larry then ran Wingrid rounded off to the nearest
        whole second and came up with 1501.3 himself. These calcs seem to be in
        good agreement, so we can now say with some confidence that we worked over
        1501 miles!

        The 1500 mile barrier has been officially broken!!

        Does it get any better than that??!!

        73 de K2DRH EN41vr

      • Chris Bartram
        Message 3 of 7 , Aug 14, 2008
          Congratulations to W7UIV, and W2DRH. QSO's over that sort of distance aren't
          that common.

          However, there are records of quite a few contacts beyond 2400km via
          MS-related propagation mechanisms. See the IARU Region 1 records:
          <http://www.ham.se/vhf/dxrecord/dxrec.htm>.

          MS plus tropo is certainly effective out to around 5000km, particularly over
          the Atlantic... See the latest Dubus for a report from CT1HZE, or have a read
          of the G4LOH blog <www.g4loh.com> for August last year...

          Unfortunately, work prevented me from playing Perseids this year :-(

          Vy 73

          Chris
          GW4DGU
        • David Ackrill
          Message 4 of 7 , Aug 14, 2008
            Jerry Siegmund wrote:
            > What by chance, is the Record for Terrestrial on 2M if you would know?

            <Sorry - this was sent just to Jerry, and not the group as I had planned
            - operator error again!>

            Distance records are usually specified by propagation type, but I know
            that the 2M Sporadic-E record (in 2005) was 2,244km (1394 miles). See
            http://www.df5ai.net/

            In Australia a contact over a distance of 3,549km (2205 miles) has been
            reported, but I don't know the propagation type. See
            http://technocrat.net/d/2008/1/18/34257

            TEP contacts are often reported at 3,000km or more. For examples, see
            http://www.vhfdx.net/tep2.html

            If I can find it again, I will post a link to a list of VHF/UHF distance
            records by band and by propagation mode.

            Cheers - Dave (G0DJA)
          • David Ackrill
            Message 5 of 7 , Aug 14, 2008
              Chris Bartram wrote:

              > However, there are records of quite a few contacts beyond 2400km via
              > MS-related propagation mechanisms. See the IARU Region 1 records:
              > <http://www.ham.se/vhf/dxrecord/dxrec.htm>.

              Thanks Chris,

              That was the table I was trying to find!

              Dave (G0DJA)
            • Jim Kennedy
              Message 6 of 7 , Aug 14, 2008

                Congratulations Larry and Bob. Outstanding !!!!!!.

                Jim W6OUU DN22sn