Re: [wsjtgroup] Duty Cycle

  • Steven Raas
    Message 1 of 7 , Jun 17, 2003
      I personally wouldent use the am6154/5 for wsjt... reason being i find that durring contests n such.. that even long cw calls with the 'faa' will tend to trip the temp circut and shut down the HV for abt 45 seconds... even @ 300 w on 222... i have been trying to force more air into the ' faa' with a  blower.. it helps but not the cure all.. it still tripps from time to time  ( contest shack gets very hot ) so even the extra air i ram into it.. its still hot air... any ways... on the flip side of that coin.. i have used an 8877 on wsjt... legal limit.. no problem... still , i usually just run 1.0kW ( if i hit a burn 500w isnt going to make too much difference). But remember with any device that dissapates heat... usually the more cooling the better... i honestly dont believe in OVERCOOLING.. the cooler the better.. to a point , ( as long as u dont freeze components )

      73
      Steve Raas
      N2JDQ

      Message 2 of 7 , Jun 18, 2003
        I installed a pair of 4" fans on a RF Concepts 170W brick (30 watt in) and
        it runs stone cold for almost a year of JT44 and FSK441 activity now. Even
        some EME contacts on it to some bigger stations to inspire any readers
        interested in trying it out. Initially used a 12ft Cushcraft 10 element
        beam, though most are done now with a pair of 21ft (3WL) 10 element long
        boom yagis and an Az El rotor system.

        I recently converted a stock AM-6154 to 2M and am running over 300 watts for
        EME and except for one day when the shack was at 85 degrees, it has been
        running fine for me. It does help heat up the shack, so when temps in
        Seattle reach over 90 (as recently it has), and the amp adds more heat (lots
        of it), things can be rough. We do not have air conditioning up here :-).
        On the 90+ degree day it started to make clicking/buzzing noises like
        something in the cavity was loose and vibrating a bit. Now that things are
        cooler I have not heard that noise anymore, though I noticed my tuning is
        now different. Still investigating what is up with that. Not sure that is
        very inspiring or not :-).

        Mike, K7MDL

        > Date: Tue, 17 Jun 2003 14:24:29 -0400
        > From: "Andrew T. Flowers, K0SM" <flowersa@...>
        >Subject: Re: Duty Cycle
        >
        >I have a Mirage 2516 (25 in for 160 out) that I run at 100% with a four
        >inch fan blowing into the fins, and it stays *cold*. I've been using it
        >on WSJT, which is 30sec on/30sec off. Been doing that for 2 years now.
        > I'm not saying that every amp will do this, but so far so good. I know
        >some of the older bricks tend to trip the temp sensor really easily, so
        >you can give it a try. If it's uncomfortable to the touch it's probably
        >too much.
        >
        >Andy K0SM/2
        >
        >cqer01 wrote:
        >
        > >My 2m RF brick (150W) has a stated duty cycle of < 50%...not good.
        > >There is a small fan that cuts in when the amp gets warm. If it gets
        > >too hot (never so far in regular operation) the amp will shut down
        > >until it cools. My question is...how much of an improvement in duty
        > >cycle might I reasonably expect if I blow the large top plate heatsink
        > >with a big squirrel cage blower?
        > >
        > >Also...does anyone use a converted AM-6154/55 for WSJT. I have no idea
        > >what its duty cycle might be.
        > >
        > >Steve / VE7SL

      • Steve McDonald
        Message 3 of 7 , Jun 18, 2003
          Thanks for all the info Mike...sounds encouraging. We have the same brick
          amp. Not sure what I will do with the AM6155; it is unconverted so far. I
          take it that you do not use yours on WSJT then?

          Steve / VE7SL
        • Charles Plunk
          Message 4 of 7 , Jun 20, 2003
            My 2m amp is an RF concepts 2-315 40in-170out.

            I run it with 50 watts drive for between 180-200 out (no element for my bird in that range yet)

            I have a 220v  5" muffin fan running on 110volts on top of it at a 45 degree angle with a bracked I fashioned. The fan runs very quiet.

            Have been running it this way for over a year on WSJT and other modes. I gets only a bit warm during a 30+ minute attempt.

            My Astron RS-50m very warm during this time but can still hold a finger on the fins without much pain hihi.

            I run 2  220v  5" muffin fans on my ft-847 at different angles. Also it has an internal fan. It stays rather cool.

            Much rather burn a brick up than the rig.

            Chuck
            AF4O

            At 01:10 PM 6/17/03, you wrote:
            My 2m RF brick (150W) has a stated duty cycle of < 50%...not good.
            There is a small fan that cuts in when the amp gets warm. If it gets
            too hot (never so far in regular operation) the amp will shut down
            until it cools. My question is...how much of an improvement in duty
            cycle might I reasonably expect if I blow the large top plate heatsink
            with a big squirrel cage blower?

            Also...does anyone use a converted AM-6154/55 for WSJT. I have no idea
            what its duty cycle might be.

            Steve / VE7SL

            Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

            1b4ee5.jpg