Meteor Shower Databases...

  • Randy Tipton
    Message 1 of 3 , Aug 6, 2008
      With the shower just a few days off, I wanted to remind meteor scatter
      operators about the two databases for capturing data relating to meteor
      events. The two databases can be found at
      http://www.ykc.com/wa5ufh/Misc/UserDatabases.htm .

      We were forced to change the databases so that only I can enter data. The
      "Spam Robots" found one database and entered data mostly "x-rated" junk. To
      prevent this from happening, until we find a solution, we removed the
      feature where users enter or modify data. I had hoped the use of a Password
      would fix this issue but it did not.

      So in the future please submit records to me for entry into the database.
      This is actually extra work for me but I don't mind. Please send in your
      data even if from years past.

      There is already some interesting data; especially in the database #1.

      A few highlights from the database #1 ...

      Six Meters (2 entries) best distance 1247mi WA5UFH & KI0LE (Geminids)

      Two Meters (28 entries) best distance 1450 mi AF6O & N0PB (Perseids)

      222MHz (22 entries) best distance 1270 mi AF6O & W7XU (Perseids)

      432MHz (2 entries) best distance 835 mi OK1TEH & GW8IZR (Perseids)

      Thanks
      Tip (WA5UFH)

      Other comments... (optional reading)
      We decide to crank down the antennas here Monday morning before the storm
      hit. This was not absolutely necessary for a small storm but hey we have had
      a high SWR on two meters for a while so this precaution seemed like the
      thing to do. After busting 3 U-Bolts that were rusted beyond belief I
      decided to go back with stainless steel hardware. Even the bolts in the
      thrust bearing were froze and some had to be drilled out and the new holes
      taped again. These failures are unacceptable in my books. I don't understand
      why M2 doesn't use better hardware with their fine antennas. They are using
      "Muffler" clamps and identical replacements can be found at Napa. Napa sells
      the stainless clamps for around $18 each special order. But the u-bolts can
      be found in most hardware stores for about $8 each and you can reuse the
      saddle without an issue.

      Anyhow after purchasing all new stainless hardware and some anti-seize
      compound we are ready to put the antenna's up maybe tomorrow. Usually
      things like this don't bother me but this time I was really frustrated. The
      u-bolts holding the boom to mask plate are all rusted as well but we didn't
      replace them. I know however they cannot be removed without twisting /
      breaking off... I will never put up another antenna without replacing the
      junk they send with stainless hardware. Maybe this is only a problem on the
      gulf coast?

      Are any antenna manufactures furnishing stainless hardware? This should be a
      consideration before purchasing as it can add "bucks" to the original
      price.

      Sorry for the rambling... i now feel better.

      tip
      wa5ufh
    • ct1ekd@mail.telepac.pt
      Message 2 of 3 , Aug 7, 2008

        Hello all

        I will be QRV on 12 August all day in 144mhz and 432MHZ.

        I'm interested in Skeds for 70cm, is there europeans stations QRV on 70 cm?

        Pedro - CT1EKD

        LOCATOR im59ib

      • Barry Garratt
        Message 3 of 3 , Aug 7, 2008
          Hi all,

          Just a reminder that KS7MS will be active this weekend from Cave Mountain, NV (10,700 feet) in DM29qd. The station will be running 400 watts with 5 elements on 6 meters and 170 watts with 16 elements on 2 meters.

          Jim W6OUU will be active mobile tomorrow morning in DN21 and DN20 while enroute and both Barry VE3CDX and Jim KS7S will be active mobile as well in DM27 and DM28.

          The mobiles will be mainly on 50.125 while all MS activity will be on 50.260 and 144.140 and using 1st sequence.

          We will also be available on SSB/CW once MS slows down. Watch for us on the PJ and KST chat pages as we should have internet connectivity via cell phone.

          73,

          Barry

          Super 7 Meteor Scatter Group KS7MS